Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

transfer case indicator lights flashing!!!! please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:49 PM

Speed sensor is for the ABS system, and has nothing to do with the 4x4 system right? Is your ABS light on?

Old 05-13-2014, 07:04 PM

No my abs isn't on but I did get a second opinion from a very trust worthy Indy shop in my area on it causing the 4wd lights to flash both sources say it will. But like I said if it doesnt fix my problem then I will swap the free wheel clutch selenoid. And if that doesnt work my next step is to swap out the vacuum lines that are rusted. I have this feeling in the back of mind that the lines are so rusted that they wont hold a vacuum.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:10 AM

The wheel speed sensor does not sound right for me ether. I'm wondering if it is a "front propeller shaft speed sensor"? This is a sensor on the transfer case and monitors ouptus speed on the front prop shaft. If it is not working properly it will flash the C/D light.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:31 PM

Hmmmm thats a great question. I will ask him tomorrow when I pick it up. The guy I bought it from said that he was searching and it could be the the 4wd indicator switch....

Old 05-15-2014, 07:12 PM

So far the issue is resolved by replacing the front right speed sensor. However im still weary that something else may trigger those lights. I will update if they do.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:47 AM

Wheel speed sensor causing the C/D light malfunction indication. Who would have thought... That is really good to know. Thanks for sharing the info with all of us.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Default It's true

The free wheel clutch solenoid is not the end all be all for the flashing 4wd light. I was about to take that path but followed a suggestion of a Mitsu tech on just answers.com. BTW, that is a great site if you need real expert help for your Montero.

Anyway, the tech suggested to run a transmission diagnostic by reading the codes. It is very easy, just run a wire from pin #1 in the test socket to ground. The sequence of flashes will tell you what the issue is. The freewheel cluch solenoid is 35, I think. Mine was 23, the front propeller shaft speed sensor. Going to it to read its voltages, I discovered it was broken in half, destructively disconnected. Explained my problem exactly--truck shifts into 4WD but once it picks up speed, the wheel lights go out and the Orange light starts flashing. Of course, the computer can't determine if the front wheels are being driven.

I like this code thing much better than replacing items one by one or, going to a dealer for diagnosis.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by SpyVito
The free wheel clutch solenoid is not the end all be all for the flashing 4wd light. I was about to take that path but followed a suggestion of a Mitsu tech on just answers.com. BTW, that is a great site if you need real expert help for your Montero.

Anyway, the tech suggested to run a transmission diagnostic by reading the codes. It is very easy, just run a wire from pin #1 in the test socket to ground. The sequence of flashes will tell you what the issue is. The freewheel cluch solenoid is 35, I think. Mine was 23, the front propeller shaft speed sensor. Going to it to read its voltages, I discovered it was broken in half, destructively disconnected. Explained my problem exactly--truck shifts into 4WD but once it picks up speed, the wheel lights go out and the Orange light starts flashing. Of course, the computer can't determine if the front wheels are being driven.

I like this code thing much better than replacing items one by one or, going to a dealer for diagnosis.
Thats a pretty sweet way to diagnose and get codes. What do you ground to?

Old 02-24-2015, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by SpyVito
... destructively disconnected. ...
That's an interesting way to put it
Good diagnostics. Thanks for sharing with us.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Default Codes

Originally Posted by jhill15
Thats a pretty sweet way to diagnose and get codes. What do you ground to?
I just put a pin on the end of a wire, put it in position 1 of the test connector. Then on the other end of the wire put an alligator clip. Connected that to one of the many nuts attaching things to the firewall. That grounds the circuit.

The way the codes display is slow flashes to show "tens" followed by faster flashes to show "ones". Then it repeats until you disconnect or turn the ignition off.

Make sure you use position 1, you wouldn't want to mess up the ECU.

Super easy.

Quick Reply: transfer case indicator lights flashing!!!! please help!!!