Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

What Spark Plugs for 02 Limited

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 07:25 PM
Default What Spark Plugs for 02 Limited

Doing a major service on the 02 Montero Limited. Anyone recommend a specific brand of spark plugs or fuel filter.

Thanks

Old 03-31-2006, 08:22 PM
Default RE: What Spark Plugs for 02 Limited

Longest lasting ones for the spark plugs. Also, IMHO stay away from bosch platinums.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: off roader

Longest lasting ones for the spark plugs. Also, IMHO stay away from bosch platinums.

What does Longest lasting ones mean? Do you have a brand name. And yeah, Im not a fan of bosch either

Old 03-31-2006, 08:44 PM

IIRC there are some that last 50-60k or maybe more now. I don't have one of those engines where you have to remove the intake manifold to change the plugs so I use regular plugs, not high mileage ones.

I think they are Denso's (nippondenso) but I can't be sure.

Check the dealership and ask what they recommend you use.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:23 AM

Use NGK or Nippondenso Iridium or Platinum plugs- there should be a label on your hood indicating what it's equipt with. They should last you up to 90K miles. I highly recommend you stick with the above ONLY- don't cheap out and any other bargain brand. It will only cost more in the long run when you have to spend the time and money to remove them and replace them with the right ones. I'd also suggest replacing the wires at the same time with FACTORY wires or NGK wires. Again.. don't go cheap in this area for the same reason as above. There's NO NEED to go exotic with the wires as well spending more than you need to with the factory or NGK replacements. The 02 Montero does NOT have a replacable fuel filter as part of a regular maintenance. There is an IN TANK filter that doesn't have a regular service interval.

Joel, CA

Old 04-03-2006, 01:50 PM

Yep cool, I have NGK's Irid's in my ES300 and they are great. Thanks guys

Old 04-15-2006, 03:32 AM

I have Bosch plugs and wires on mine. No problem so far. I've run them on every vehicle I've owned! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 04-15-2006, 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: michaeljr5

I have Bosch plugs and wires on mine. No problem so far. I've run them on every vehicle I've owned! [sm=smiley20.gif]

As a former technicain for Mitsubishi Motors, i can honestly say that i've had to remove SEVERAL Bosch plugs from several of our vehicles within the product line INCLUDING the Montero Sport. Taking a chance on a 4 cyl Eclipse is one thing where you can rectify the mistake with less than half an hour of your time. But why chance it on a vehicle that requires so much labor to replace the plugs in the 1st place. The ignition system is one of the most worry free components in the Montero and Montero Sport- why mess with a good thing?

Joel, CA

Old 04-15-2006, 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Joel_CA
As a former technicain for Mitsubishi Motors, i can honestly say that i've had to remove SEVERAL Bosch plugs from several of our vehicles within the product line INCLUDING the Montero Sport. Taking a chance on a 4 cyl Eclipse is one thing where you can rectify the mistake with less than half an hour of your time. But why chance it on a vehicle that requires so much labor to replace the plugs in the 1st place. The ignition system is one of the most worry free components in the Montero and Montero Sport- why mess with a good thing?

Joel, CA
I replaced the factory ones when I started having miss fires on the front right cylinder. An' since I've used bosch on all my other vehicles, I went ahead and put them in the Monty. That was about 6K miles ago and I haven't had a single problem. If they go bad prematurely, I'll try something new.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:52 PM

so anyone use Bosch Plus 4 ???

Is it even better then NGK ?

I have 01 Montero Limited 34000mils , and i think it is time to do tune up

Quick Reply: What Spark Plugs for 02 Limited