Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Wheel Bearing & Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Default Wheel Bearing & Suspension Questions

Hello everyone,

I'm currently stationed in the UK and about to deploy. During the last inspection on my wife's 2003 Montero Sport Limited 3.5L, 2WD, she has a write-up for ball joints on both sides.

I lifted the vehicle and when I did, I also did what I could to check the wheels for play and aside from the ball joints, it looks like she has a shot wheel bearing on the driver side. I have changed wheel bearings out on my old Chevy truck, but I had both inner and outer bearings. It seems these cars only have one side or am I missing something?

Also, do these cars only have a shock absorber and no springs on the front end? I ask because as a quick look for replacement shocks, I did not see a single site which sold a whole strut assembly or springs. If not, that's easier for me to work on. When I lifted it, I didn't see any springs (maybe I'm blind).

I can get the work done, but I just want to make sure when I go to order the parts I get everything I need in one order.

Wheel bearings - 2 sets for front
Hub Seal - 2 each
Races - 2 each? or 4? (really depends on the number of bearing sets)
Any seals which normally wear out?

I'm guessing it is best to change out both the top and bottom ball joints if I took the time to break down the front end on both sides to replace the bearings....looks like a good Saturday project to me!

Jeff

Old 08-04-2012, 11:13 PM

they have torsion bars make sure you unload them before you try to remove the control arms