Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Default white smoke

is billowing out of my tail pipe. this is the Montero I rolled. I'm pretty sure it's the oil that leaked into the cylinders burning off, but I don't feel comfortable letting it run like that...can I buy a product that will clean it out (ie Gumout, AMSOIL), or do I need to take it to a shop? Should probably change oil filter and clean oil pan, too, yeah?
please help

Old 01-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Banned
Default RE: white smoke

Is it constant? If so then it is the head gasket...

Old 01-09-2007, 03:00 AM

isnt blue smoke usually indicative of oil? white sounds like H2o to me....pull the plugs and look for one that is waaay too clean....this could indicate a failed gasket at least on some other makes .

Old 01-09-2007, 03:03 AM
Banned

Wrong. Blue is oil... yes... white is coolant. He said white... not blue.

Now if it is the head gakset then dont worry about cleaning it out of the engine... the only way to solve it is by changing the head gasket.

Dont be worried anyway... it will clean all of it out just by driving it.

Also, please dont give advice if you think you could be wrong... bad idea.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:06 AM

maybe you should re-read my reply..... i knew he said white, hence the advice to pull the plugs and look for a steam cleaning...

Old 01-09-2007, 03:08 AM
Banned

You said white = water... and checking the plugs as a check as you described is untrue too

EDIT: Steam cleaning............... BAUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 01-09-2007, 04:05 AM

i was using the term water because i was replying to a guy who didnt know that white smoke was coolant.a lot ofppl "especially non-mechanical" think of coolant as water. also, coolant is 50% water you know?

how is looking for a clean plug considered an untrue test anyway? admittedly, i have never broken down a mitsubishi engine. however, the basic design is: the spark plug seats in the head with the tail end sitting in the chamber between the block and the head (seperated by the head gasket...of course) where a mixture of fuel and airare ignited by the spark plug. add a head gasket failure in the right place and we have introduced coolant (which is 50% water) into the mixture. we all know that water does not burn...instead it takes on another form when heated. do you know what this form or stateis called?ever look atthe exhaust valveson a head that has blown a gasket between cylinders? clean and void of any carbon deposites. why? because carbon is water soluble. the same thing happens to the plug as it is in the chamberwith ignitedair and gas that turns the coolant (which we remember is 50% H2o) into steam.

if you know that white smoke is coolant and that coolant is 50% water....what form do you think it is coming out of the tail pipe in? it certainly isnt liquid.....hence the term "steam cleaned" bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah aha
this is really basic stuff here.

enjoy

Old 01-09-2007, 04:35 AM
Banned

Steam maybe jackass?

Wrong again. Coolant is in concentrated form. It is MIXED to the ratio that the owner chooses.

I have personally seen the exhaust valves AND the spark plugs in a blown head gasket case. The plugs and exhaust valves are in NO WAY cleaned. They are coated in white powder deposits and look horrible. So in actual fact they are more dirty.

What is comeing out of the tail pipe is BURNING COOLANT. The coolant itself is white.. the water vapour is NOT white.

Nobody with a brain thinks coolant is water... ooh im just going to have a drink of coolant... totally. Dont be retarded.

I tell you what... you try to clean off exhaust valves with a steam cleaning kit.. tell me how that one goes.

So are you telling me that heat+pure coolant = steam? You are a ****tard... please give up now.

I think i have it figured out as to why you took so long to reply... how long did it take you to research everything on google?

Old 01-09-2007, 07:22 AM

Wrong again. Coolant is in concentrated form. It is MIXED to the ratio that the owner chooses.
who the hell runs straight coolant? antifreeze is to be runat a 50/50 mixture. some brands will tell you a 75/25 mixture is ok...max! it says so on the bottle! also, antifreeze is becoming sold more and more prevalently as a 50/50 mixture....check the shelves next time your at your fav parts store.

I have personally seen the exhaust valves AND the spark plugs in a blown head gasket case. The plugs and exhaust valves are in NO WAY cleaned. They are coated in white powder deposits and look horrible. So in actual fact they are more dirty.

ill agree with this. however, the white build up is not always present! im not sure what conditions cause it but the 2 times i have seen it were both cases where the owners kept driving and refilling trying to buy some time. im thinking it has something to do with having the temp waay up for extended periods....but once again, im not sure what causes it.my first head gasket job was on a little nissan i drove and there were absolutley NO white spots! however, the valve train, cyl head surface and 2 plugs were very clean indeed....void of soot andoil.

What is comeing out of the tail pipe is BURNING COOLANT. The coolant itself is white.. the water vapour is NOT white.
coolant may burn white as well....i dunno! but i do know that water introduced to the intake comes out as white smoke....go try it! also had a buddy who kept topping off his honda with water trying to buy time....guess what color the smoke was? either way (water or antifreeze or both), it was obvious that i was telling the guy he had a "coolant" leak possibly at the head gasket....even though i called it water.

Nobody with a brain thinks coolant is water... ooh im just going to have a drink of coolant... totally. Dont be retarded
maybe not, but pleanty of ppl think water is coolant! how many times have you been at a gas station seeing ppl pouring water in their radiators? doesnt make them rocket scientists....but doesnt make them totally retarded either....just clueless about cars and personal responsibility. the point is, i was correct in my initial post even though i used the term water. you prob half *** read my postbefore making your elegant response. then got pissed off like a little brat and had to find something to bitch about so as to make yourself look like....not so much of an *** hole.

So are you telling me that heat+pure coolant = steam? You are a ****tard... please give up now.
im purtty sure i never said anything about pure coolant....but i see what kind of things (and how) you try to pick at now! again, who runs pure antifreeze ? also, calling ppl names isimmature and says a lot about your character...i did notappreciate it....at all! did i call you names when youacted like a complete *** hole after my first post in this thread? im guessing you are the type who likes/needs to feel big and baddue to some childhood thing?

I think i have it figured out as to why you took so long to reply... how long did it take you to research everything on google
im sorry it took so long....were you just sitting there waiting for a reply? maybe you forgot to take your ritalin this am!the reason you added this comment is because....you are an *******! straight up...no other reason! you should be ashamed of yourself...you arrogant *******!

Old 01-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Banned

Some people do actually run 100% i have seen it.

My point was... the void in soot and oil was not caused by a resultant "steam clean" thats just bull****. That is all i was trying to say.

Perfect... you just said "....i dunno!" So you just shot yourself in the ***.

Nah dude... when water is introduced to the intake it comes out as steam... just like starting her up on a cold humid morning. Remember kids... dont pour water into your intake thinking you will get a "steam clean" if this had been anything close to true... everyone would be doing it.

Nobody to do with cars will ever refer to it as water. The water is not what burns.. the coolant is... and its the coolant that makes the sweet smelling smoke... so...

Well if plenty of people think water is coolant then please slap them when you hear it next.

Putting a little more water into the rad to top it off is perfectly ok... nothing wrong there. You are just making the ratio a little more water based... but nothing significant.

As for your post... the only true thing in it is the "blue smoke means oil"

If you read back on my first post i was very nice to you....i asked you nicely not to say the wrong thing. I know you dint call me any names... THANKS!... not that i actually care. Thats you.... this is me.

LOL if you are making an attempt to try and **** me off.... try again.

Yes,..... its true ..... LOL not

Anyways...i was totally nice to you in the beginning... after my second reply to you, you were still arguing with me...

Quick Reply: white smoke