Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Whoop whoop sound!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 11:36 AM
Default Whoop whoop sound!

I have this sound that happens on starting my engine in the am and then disappears pretty quickly. I thought it might be a belt but my mechanic says no and he is clueless. My 2001 Monty limited runs great and I have put money into completely redoing the suspension system, tie rods,new valve cover gaskets and replacing the plugs, coils and wires and intake gasket (hell job), and replacing front differential seal but can curious if any of you have heard a sound like this?

thank you
dan

Old 10-09-2021, 08:58 AM

Can you record the sound. It's not at all clear what it could be. Does it happen when you drive or when you're stationary? Does it matter if you're in P, R, N, or D?

Old 10-10-2021, 03:03 PM
Default Strange sound

Hi hunter thx for the response.

it happens when the engine first starts off, even if it’s in the afternoon. I thought it might be cold temp related but I don’t think so. It disappears after a few minutes and usually is then completely gone for the day. It happens in drive and also neutral but drive is where I most notice it. It happens when car is stopped but upon acceleration it makes a short 1-3 second sound that goes up in pitch. It kind of sounds like a whoop/whistle. I’m curious about it but don’t think it is anything to worry about but just checking if u or anyone else has any idea.I will try to record the sound.

thx
dan

Old 10-24-2021, 12:39 PM
Default whoop sound

Spoiler

Old 10-24-2021, 12:39 PM

hey hunter, can you give me your email address so i can send you a clip of the sound? apparently my file is too big.thx dan

Old 10-24-2021, 01:02 PM

It has to be air pressure pushing thru at some location that cuts off when the air pressure (driving faster) reaches a certain point and why would it stop as soon as the engine warms up? Gasket? Some other seal? How many different spots is that possible? Confusing and frustrating. Any ideas? I will send u a sound file as soon as I get your email

Old 10-25-2021, 12:57 AM

Dan, you might not be able to e-mail a large file as an attachment. Try to save it to a web storage service (Google Drive, Drop Box, etc.) and share it as a link. That usually works.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:03 PM

Ok.thx

Old 11-06-2021, 09:37 PM

So my mechanic friend thinks it’s a vacuum leak somewhere. Is there any simple way to isolate the hose with the problem without using anything flammable? Are most of the hoses in the engine compartment coming off the intake manifold?

thx

Old 01-14-2023, 10:21 AM

Did you ever figure out where the whooping sound came from? I have similar sounds on my 2006 3.8 only after timing belt and water pump change. I did re-tension the timing belt thinking it was over tensioned, no change. Maybe defective (noisey) water pump?

Quick Reply: Whoop whoop sound!