Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

$550 30k Mile Service Rip-off at Gillman Mitsubishi !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Default $550 30k Mile Service Rip-off at Gillman Mitsubishi !!

Gillman Mitsubishi of San Antonio charged my wife $550 for the 30k service on a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS. She was in tears when she called me on her way home. I called the dealership, spoke to Ashley the service writer, then Richie the service manager, who both stated the service was expensive because the vehicle has a CVT transmission and required
"special equipment and fluid". I kept explaining that the XLS had a 6-speed automatic, that I was positive of this. Richie kept telling me that as of a couple years ago, "all Lancers and Outlanders have the CVT". After a few minutes of back and forth, he put me on hold. By then I was on the Mitsubishi website, and could see that only 4-cylinders had the CVT. When Richie came back, the story changed, the service was expensive because the dealer followed the "severe maintenance" schedule because I lived in Texas. I answered that the vehicle didn't tow anything, wasn't driven on dusty roads, didn't do a lot of stop and go traffic, that it did not fit any of the parameters for "severe maintenance". He replied that I could go to the other Mitsubishi dealer in San Antonio, that they did the same thing. He also said my spouse agreed to the servicing, and I said all she asked for was the 30k service, nobody give her an estimate of $550 for the "severe" schedule. His last remark was that it seemed I thought they didn't know what they were doing, and my last answer was if you can't even tell me what transmission is in one of your vehicles, it certainly makes me wonder. That terminated the conversation. I can only hope that I don't have transmission problems, they will probably try to replace
the 6-speed with a CVT. That would be interesting.
Thanks for letting me vent, I'm still in shock.
Gary, from La Vernia Texas.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:08 PM

Sorry to hear that, but "all she asked for was the 30k service" was a huge mistake. What did you (or she) expect? You should never EVER consent to anything without written estimate whether it's car repairs or a house repairs or anything else. This is a lesson I learned a while ago... Another lesson I learned is that my wife is capable to make the same mistake, so I usually pre-arrange things like that if I can't do it myself...

At this point once the service is done, there is not much you can do, but complain and hopefully they'll be kind enough to give you a discount of some sort. To be honest I don't even know how much the service costs for 30k, but mine will be coming up next year and I hope it will be less then that.

Last edited by klas; 09-11-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:51 PM

Big Two Mitsubishi in Mesa, AZ which is the dealership I deal with charges $273 for their 30K service. They have a brochure listing the prices and services performed at the various intervals. You may want to check with your dealer to see if they have a similiar brochure.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:26 AM

30k you basically need a tranny flush. Which should run around $150-$180. The complete 30k service will vary by dealer, but could also come with a full inspection, air filters, suspension grease, fluids, etc.

Did your dealer include paperwork that breaks everything down, or does it just say 30k service $550? When I get a service (oil change) done my paperwork breaks down what the oil cost, the filter, and misc shop supplies for example.

That sucks, and you should be very mad. Other than trying to cancel your payment to get them to fix it, the only thing I would do is go there in person and talk to the dealership manager since the service one is an idiot.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:30 AM

how is 550 expensive?
you get your oil changed.
You get a trans flush (and by the way, the 6 speed requires fluid thats 15 bucks a quart, and if flushed will need probably 12).
you get your coolant changed.
you get your rear diff oil changed.
you get your transfer case oil changed.
you get a new air filter.
you get a tire rotation and full brake inspection.

hell, you probably got a car wash.
550 is a good deal.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Default Reply to ManyBrews

ManyBrews, I understand your point about the amount of work that was done for $550, but my point is the vehicle wasn't due for much of this if Mitsubishi's "regular maintenance" schedule was followed versus the dealer's arbitrary decision that "all cars in Texas" get the "severe maintenance" service.
And no, they never bother to wash the vehicle. With today's tough economic conditions, most folks (like me) have a touch time shelling out this kind of money. I drive an Outlander, but it seems I'm paying Porsche Cayenne service prices.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Manybrews
how is 550 expensive?
you get your oil changed.
You get a trans flush (and by the way, the 6 speed requires fluid thats 15 bucks a quart, and if flushed will need probably 12).
you get your coolant changed.
you get your rear diff oil changed.
you get your transfer case oil changed.
you get a new air filter.
you get a tire rotation and full brake inspection.

hell, you probably got a car wash.
550 is a good deal.
I would DOUBT he got all this. Unless it says some where on a service statement. The service guy thought the car had a CVT for crying out loud. Who doesnt even know there own vehicles?

Old 09-12-2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Buckmaster
ManyBrews, I understand your point about the amount of work that was done for $550, but my point is the vehicle wasn't due for much of this if Mitsubishi's "regular maintenance" schedule was followed versus the dealer's arbitrary decision that "all cars in Texas" get the "severe maintenance" service.
And no, they never bother to wash the vehicle. With today's tough economic conditions, most folks (like me) have a touch time shelling out this kind of money. I drive an Outlander, but it seems I'm paying Porsche Cayenne service prices.
trust me, EVERY SINGLE CAR in america falls under the "severe maintenence schedule.

EVERY one.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by tdford
I would DOUBT he got all this. Unless it says some where on a service statement. The service guy thought the car had a CVT for crying out loud. Who doesnt even know there own vehicles?
this is exactly whats due at a "severe" schedule maintenance 30k.

and all the 4 cylinders DO have a CVT. so the service guy made a simple mistake... hes the mouthpiece, not the mechanic.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Default Another reply to Manybrews

Manybrews, from looking through some of your postings, you are a dominant figure on this forum. I looked at your profile, it lists you as a "Mitsubishi tech". Your statement that all vehicles in the US should fall under the "severe" maintenance schedule is illogical and contradicts what is in the owner's manual. I guess you must do your own work on your vehicles, and if so I applaud you for this, but the "average joe" like myself depends on the dealer to give us the proper service at a fair price. $550 for the 30k mile regular service on a Front-wheel-drive Outlander XLS is simply too much, I doubt anyone on this forum paid this much.
It appears I will not be able to make this point with you, and regrettably this is the last time I will sign on to this forum. I expected rational thought, but I'm not seeing it from you. Perhaps you should change your name to "TooManybrews".
Adios.

Quick Reply: $550 30k Mile Service Rip-off at Gillman Mitsubishi !!