Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

“Key” Won’t turn to Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 08:43 PM
Default “Key” Won’t turn to Start

I have a 2011 Outlander with the key Fob that has the emergency key, also has a remote start that’s been on there for 10 years. I can turn the key to “ON”, which allows me to turn the steering wheel, powers the car like normal, but the key just won’t turn any further to the “start” position. If I try the remote start I can hear a bunch of clicking under the steering wheel, so I’m thinking the immobilizer bypass for the remote start might be messing things up. I’ve tried the emergency key and it doesn’t work. Thanks in advance.
update: the remote start somehow ended up in ‘valet’ mode, exited that and can now start with remote but not with the ‘key’

Last edited by kev994; 03-27-2022 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:29 AM

Read the following then post your results.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...38/#post324146

Old 03-29-2022, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Outlaander
Read the following then post your results.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...38/#post324146
Thanks for the response! No change, I can turn the key as far as the on position, and it turns normally, but even with the emergency key in the ignition using the fob as a handle it feels like there’s something stopping it from turning to start.

Old 03-30-2022, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by kev994
Thanks for the response! No change, I can turn the key as far as the on position, and it turns normally, but even with the emergency key in the ignition using the fob as a handle it feels like there’s something stopping it from turning to start.
Is the car in "Park"? If it is and the steering wheel turns CW and CCW slightly, try keeping the brake pedal down as you turn the emergency key with the FOB. If that does not solve the problem, you may need a new ignition lock cylinder. Google is you friend on how to replace it.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:35 PM

Is the car in "Park"? If it is and the steering wheel turns CW and CCW slightly, try keeping the brake pedal down as you turn the emergency key with the FOB. If that does not solve the problem, you may need a new ignition lock cylinder. Google is you friend on how to replace it.
Thanks. it’s in park, also tried in Neutral, I’ve been pressing the brake, steering wheel turns fine in the ON position (most people seem to have an issue with it being stuck in lock). I can hear the click from the shifter console when I press the brake, telling me the car knows I’m pressing the brake. I’ve been driving it around, just starting with the remote start.
I’m afraid it might be the ignition lock, given that they’re $700 CAD I’m going to take it to my local garage before I start throwing parts at it.

Last edited by kev994; 03-30-2022 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-03-2022, 09:33 AM

Thanks. it’s in park, also tried in Neutral, I’ve been pressing the brake, steering wheel turns fine in the ON position (most people seem to have an issue with it being stuck in lock). I can hear the click from the shifter console when I press the brake, telling me the car knows I’m pressing the brake. I’ve been driving it around, just starting with the remote start.
I’m afraid it might be the ignition lock, given that they’re $700 CAD I’m going to take it to my local garage before I start throwing parts at it.
If you have two FOBs, have you tried both FOBs and both of their keys?

Please let us know what the "garage" tells you.

Old 04-05-2022, 05:27 AM

If you have two FOBs, have you tried both FOBs and both of their keys?

Please let us know what the "garage" tells you.
yeah, tried both FOBs, no luck. The garage swapped out a switch, I think it was the ignition start switch, it didn’t work, apparently he can return used parts to NAPA. He’s got it working while disassembled, something to do with the steering column I think. I know he ordered a used steering column for $125 but I think he said something about robbing a part off of it. I’ll know towards the end of the week, I could pick it up and it apparently works while partially disassembled but I bike to work most days anyway so I’m just going to leave it there.

Old 04-08-2022, 01:10 PM

It’s the ignition lock cylinder. They got a used steering column to rob it.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:31 AM

It’s the ignition lock cylinder. They got a used steering column to rob it.
Thanks for the update.

If you don't miind my asking, what did the garage charge you for the column? What did the garage charge for labor to complete the job?. I ask this because our 2010 Outlander might experience the same problem and I'd be weighing the option of buying a used column or buying a new lock cylinder. Either way, however, I'd do the laobor myself. Thanks for the information.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the update.

If you don't miind my asking, what did the garage charge you for the column? What did the garage charge for labor to complete the job?. I ask this because our 2010 Outlander might experience the same problem and I'd be weighing the option of buying a used column or buying a new lock cylinder. Either way, however, I'd do the laobor myself. Thanks for the information.
$125 was what they quoted me for the column but the wrong one came in the first time (was for a key instead of a FOB). I haven’t seen the labour bill yet, will update when I get it. Someone in another thread was saying that they couldn’t even get a cylinder. I called Mitsubishi and it was $670 CAD, didn’t say how long it would take.

Quick Reply: “Key” Won’t turn to Start