Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   '07 Outlander Brush Guard (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/07-outlander-brush-guard-44424/)

nyislanders 05-02-2013 09:53 AM

'07 Outlander Brush Guard

Hey everyone, I recently picked up a 2007 Outlander and was wondering if anyone has had luck finding a decent brush guard for it?

Sebba 05-02-2013 09:55 AM

Why do you need one?

All too often idiots buy them so that they feel more at ease driving like an idiot. I've been t-boned by an SUV with a brush guard, and it almost killed my passenger.

nyislanders 05-02-2013 10:01 AM

Well I certainly don't drive like an idiot. I like the look of them. I know they aren't for protection or anything. That's certainly not the idea behind me wanting one, nor would I drive like an idiot with one. I was just wondering if anyone has seen any decent ones, because I'm having a hard time finding one. Thanks.

Sebba 05-02-2013 01:26 PM

I think that's a horrible reason to buy one, just because you think it looks nice (and I agree, they do). In the event of an accident, the other vehicle will sustain considerably more damage, and could hurt someone. That's why they don't come with them from the factory, because it destroys pedestrian safety ratings.

I googled a guard for the outlander and got numerous product results.

Burtonrider10022 05-04-2013 01:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Sebba (Post 292214)
I think that's a horrible reason to buy one, just because you think it looks nice (and I agree, they do). In the event of an accident, the other vehicle will sustain considerably more damage, and could hurt someone. That's why they don't come with them from the factory, because it destroys pedestrian safety ratings.

I googled a guard for the outlander and got numerous product results.

Although I do disagree with your opinion, I'll add that a brush guard can DRASTICALLY effect the functionality of your front crash/airbag sensors. If you get in a low-speed collision there becomes a possibility of your air bags not deploying.

Sebba is also correct on damaging the other vehicle more severely.

IMO a good middle ground would be a "rally" style guard or a "bull bar" to some. Those are the ones that come up from below the bumper and only go up a few inches or so, generally not even to the bottom edge of the bumper support. People often mount driving lights on them and I think they look great, offer some good protection more as a skip-plate type of bumper, and should still be low enough to not change the crash outcome too much.

Romik USA Bull Bar For Mitsubishi Outlander Front Bumper

Burtonrider10022 05-04-2013 01:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually, Mitsubishi makes one for the Australian market:

Outlander Accessories - Mitsubishi Genuine Accessories - Exterior - 4x4

I can't say for certain because it's for AUS, but I'd imagine that for the OEM to offer it they must have designed and tested it to crash safety test standards, which means it would be safer for BOTH vehicles involved.

Sebba 05-04-2013 04:27 PM

That's a decent compromise, and I think they look much better. They look sweet on the RAV 4.

nyislanders 05-07-2013 11:55 AM

Thank you for the ideas guys, that was what I meant. I didn't mean to start any argument or anything, just trying to spice up my Outlander a bit. That is exactly what I was looking for. I just didn't have any luck finding a picture or anything of an Outlander with a bull bar or something similar.

Thank you guys!

Sebba 05-07-2013 01:35 PM

No arguments, healthy debate.

Burtonrider10022 05-09-2013 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sebba (Post 292382)
No arguments, healthy debate.

Like hell it wasn't an argument! I said I didn't agree with your opinion!

http://www.voiceable.org/wp-content/...t-argument.png
:D