Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

'07 Outlander Brush Guard

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Default '07 Outlander Brush Guard

Hey everyone, I recently picked up a 2007 Outlander and was wondering if anyone has had luck finding a decent brush guard for it?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Banned

Why do you need one?

All too often idiots buy them so that they feel more at ease driving like an idiot. I've been t-boned by an SUV with a brush guard, and it almost killed my passenger.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:01 AM

Well I certainly don't drive like an idiot. I like the look of them. I know they aren't for protection or anything. That's certainly not the idea behind me wanting one, nor would I drive like an idiot with one. I was just wondering if anyone has seen any decent ones, because I'm having a hard time finding one. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Banned

I think that's a horrible reason to buy one, just because you think it looks nice (and I agree, they do). In the event of an accident, the other vehicle will sustain considerably more damage, and could hurt someone. That's why they don't come with them from the factory, because it destroys pedestrian safety ratings.

I googled a guard for the outlander and got numerous product results.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sebba
I think that's a horrible reason to buy one, just because you think it looks nice (and I agree, they do). In the event of an accident, the other vehicle will sustain considerably more damage, and could hurt someone. That's why they don't come with them from the factory, because it destroys pedestrian safety ratings.

I googled a guard for the outlander and got numerous product results.
Although I do disagree with your opinion, I'll add that a brush guard can DRASTICALLY effect the functionality of your front crash/airbag sensors. If you get in a low-speed collision there becomes a possibility of your air bags not deploying.

Sebba is also correct on damaging the other vehicle more severely.

IMO a good middle ground would be a "rally" style guard or a "bull bar" to some. Those are the ones that come up from below the bumper and only go up a few inches or so, generally not even to the bottom edge of the bumper support. People often mount driving lights on them and I think they look great, offer some good protection more as a skip-plate type of bumper, and should still be low enough to not change the crash outcome too much.

Romik USA Bull Bar For Mitsubishi Outlander Front Bumper

Attached Thumbnails '07 Outlander Brush Guard-41hamfxkh6l._sl300_.jpg   '07 Outlander Brush Guard-romik-usa-bull-bar-mitsubishi-outlander.jpg  
Old 05-04-2013, 01:58 AM

Actually, Mitsubishi makes one for the Australian market:

Outlander Accessories - Mitsubishi Genuine Accessories - Exterior - 4x4

I can't say for certain because it's for AUS, but I'd imagine that for the OEM to offer it they must have designed and tested it to crash safety test standards, which means it would be safer for BOTH vehicles involved.

Attached Thumbnails '07 Outlander Brush Guard-outlander_nudge_lights.jpg  
Old 05-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Banned

That's a decent compromise, and I think they look much better. They look sweet on the RAV 4.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 AM

Thank you for the ideas guys, that was what I meant. I didn't mean to start any argument or anything, just trying to spice up my Outlander a bit. That is exactly what I was looking for. I just didn't have any luck finding a picture or anything of an Outlander with a bull bar or something similar.

Thank you guys!

Old 05-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Banned

No arguments, healthy debate.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sebba
No arguments, healthy debate.
Like hell it wasn't an argument! I said I didn't agree with your opinion!

Quick Reply: '07 Outlander Brush Guard