Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

07 outlander clockspring help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 05:53 AM
Default 07 outlander clockspring help

Hello all. I need to replace the steering wheel clock spring on my vehicle. I have searched through the forum and have not yet found a DIY for replacing it. Has anyone done this and / or have info on the replacement procedure?
thanks in advance..

Old 10-01-2018, 02:24 PM

Here is what you have to do:
1. It is imperative that you disconnect the negative terminal of your battery. If you fail to do this and in one of the subsequent steps you disconnect the airbag in the steering wheel you will have a DTC that can only be cleared by the dealer or someone with capability of ETACS programming (ETACS Decoder or Diagbox).
2. Remove the upper and lower plastic covers of the steering column.
3 Loosen the two T28 screws accessible from side of the steering wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Some reviews suggest T30 but I suspect most people have them with 5 increments (T25, T30 etc). It is vital that you find the exact size. This way you are not going to destroy the edges of the Torx screw. These screws are quite tight.
4. Remove the airbag and disconnect it.
5. Use a 17 mm wrench to loosen the steering wheel but leave the nut on with few threads.
6. Very gently wiggle the steering wheel until it disengages. Please do not hammer it as you may destroy the steering collapse mechanism if your car is equipped with (I have an OS, ASX, RVR)
7. Remove the nut and lift off the steering wheel.
8. Now you can remove and replace the clock spring and do the assembly with the reverse order.
I found a somewhat useful video for installing paddle shifters (what I did) on Lancer. The procedure is the same for your job.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:19 AM

Thanks very much AWCAWD

Old 10-30-2018, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
Here is what you have to do:
1. It is imperative that you disconnect the negative terminal of your battery. If you fail to do this and in one of the subsequent steps you disconnect the airbag in the steering wheel you will have a DTC that can only be cleared by the dealer or someone with capability of ETACS programming (ETACS Decoder or Diagbox).
2. Remove the upper and lower plastic covers of the steering column.
3 Loosen the two T28 screws accessible from side of the steering wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Some reviews suggest T30 but I suspect most people have them with 5 increments (T25, T30 etc). It is vital that you find the exact size. This way you are not going to destroy the edges of the Torx screw. These screws are quite tight.
4. Remove the airbag and disconnect it.
5. Use a 17 mm wrench to loosen the steering wheel but leave the nut on with few threads.
6. Very gently wiggle the steering wheel until it disengages. Please do not hammer it as you may destroy the steering collapse mechanism if your car is equipped with (I have an OS, ASX, RVR)
7. Remove the nut and lift off the steering wheel.
8. Now you can remove and replace the clock spring and do the assembly with the reverse order.
I found a somewhat useful video for installing paddle shifters (what I did) on Lancer. The procedure is the same for your job.
Steering wheel removal
AWCAWD
I can't seem to get the airbag screws to come out far enough to allow me to pull the airbag/horn assembly out. It is loose but still feels stuck? I'm not sure if this is normal and if I should use more force pulling it out? Im not sure the screws aren't possibly just hanging up slightly in the housing and just spinning while being just far enough in to preclude pulling the bag out.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 07xlsguy
AWCAWD
I can't seem to get the airbag screws to come out far enough to allow me to pull the airbag/horn assembly out. It is loose but still feels stuck? I'm not sure if this is normal and if I should use more force pulling it out? Im not sure the screws aren't possibly just hanging up slightly in the housing and just spinning while being just far enough in to preclude pulling the bag out.
You do not have to/do not want to remove the two screws entirely just loosen them enough to be able to pull the airbag off. It is difficult to put them back if you pull them out.