Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

07 outlander front end noise help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 08:16 PM
Default 07 outlander front end noise help!!

Hoping someone can help with figuring out what is causing a clunking noise . The noise is coming from the drivers front suspension side.. sounds like a couple of golf ***** in a medium size Tupperware container.... only happens when going slowly over uneven pavement, speedbumps, end of driveway etc.. don't know if it could be sway bar bushings ,endlinks or what. I do NOT feel any vibration or looseness in the steering wheel when the sound happens. I CAN however get the sound to happen somewhat when I quickly jerk the wheel left to right with only about 5 inches back and forth on the steering wheel.. hoping it isn't ball joint or a strut , but im not sure how to diagnose.. any help would be much appreciated..

Old 05-31-2015, 09:33 PM

I would put money on the sway bar end links. Very common and easy/cheap to change.

To check, you have to have the full weight of the outtie on the wheels and reach under and twist the end links. They need to very very hard to turn by hand.

If they have any slop, they are bad.

Replace both even if one is bad.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:37 PM

I just did a fast search and you can get a pair of them for $17 on eBay. Or $14 each at autozone.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:55 AM

End links, ball joints, and tire rods are all relatively cheap parts and easy repairs. I would hope it's one of those

Old 06-01-2015, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by White92VR4
I just did a fast search and you can get a pair of them for $17 on eBay. Or $14 each at autozone.

Thanks, I ordered moog end links yesterday just in case..I don't feel any movement in either one when I yank on them though..? Hope it isn't a ball joint or tie rod, not sure if I can do those myself with a jack and socket set

Old 06-01-2015, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by gggplaya
End links, ball joints, and tire rods are all relatively cheap parts and easy repairs. I would hope it's one of those

Thanks--if it is a ball joint or tie rod is there a way to tell? also if one or the other is bad , is replacing them complicated? [ jack/socket set in driveway stuff?]

Old 06-01-2015, 05:28 PM

Are your tires wearing badly on the edges? If not, then most likely the ball joints and tie rods are just fine.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by White92VR4
Are your tires wearing badly on the edges? If not, then most likely the ball joints and tie rods are just fine.

No, no unusual wear at all... in fact the noise just started last week. Im going to jack it up tomorrow and look for anysteering play though.. is it possible that the end links seem tight and still be worn? I'm going to take a look at the control arm bushing as well---

Old 06-01-2015, 10:21 PM

Once you have the car up on jack stands, and the wheels hanging, have someone grab the tire at 3 and 9 and shake the tire back and forth, then go to 6 and 12 and do the same thing. While they are moving the tire, look at the ball joint, steering links, and bushes. Each joint should have zero play.

Yes, sway bar end links can seem tight while on the car but can be going bad.

They are so cheap and easy to replace it is almost always the first thing to try first if you can't see obvious torn ball joint boots, or the like.

Last edited by White92VR4; 06-01-2015 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-04-2015, 11:10 AM

I have the same year/model as you and recently had similar noises. For me, it was the tie rod ends. I don't do that kind of work myself. I think it was about $300 to get the job done at a shop.

Quick Reply: 07 outlander front end noise help!!