Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

07' Outlander Rattles At Times, Help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Default 07' Outlander Rattles At Times, Help?

Have a 2007 Outlander with around 60,000 Kms. Found out that it sounds like a exhaust heat shield rattling, but I dont understand why does it only rattles under low acceleration, like 0-5 km/h, then it stops rattling. Never rattles over 5 km/h, never rattles when revving to 4000 rpms, only rattles for 3 sec then it stops.

Is this a heat shield problem that is rattling or something else?

Old 05-17-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ToysAreForBoys
Have a 2007 Outlander with around 60,000 Kms. Found out that it sounds like a exhaust heat shield rattling, but I dont understand why does it only rattles under low acceleration, like 0-5 km/h, then it stops rattling. Never rattles over 5 km/h, never rattles when revving to 4000 rpms, only rattles for 3 sec then it stops.

Is this a heat shield problem that is rattling or something else?
Mine is a 2008 LS, and does that too,
i just realise it does that sound when i go to drive true, like around a wall can hear the rattle a lots when i press on the gaz.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:34 PM

I know this may sound strange, but make sure its not your license plate on the back. If the plate is only attached with the screws on the top, but not on the bottom, the plate will rattle even if you have it in a license plate frame. I actually attached some foam to the back of my plate with duct tape to make it stop rattling.

To check if your plate is rattling just pull up on it at the bottom and let go. If it bounces against the body its rattling.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by azjake
I know this may sound strange, but make sure its not your license plate on the back. If the plate is only attached with the screws on the top, but not on the bottom, the plate will rattle even if you have it in a license plate frame. I actually attached some foam to the back of my plate with duct tape to make it stop rattling.

To check if your plate is rattling just pull up on it at the bottom and let go. If it bounces against the body its rattling.
Mine was doing this too....I put some weatherstripping on the underside of the plate...quieted right down.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:52 PM

Check your rear plate to see if it is hitting the hatch before you get big scratches!

I ended up having to do the weather stripping option on the rear plate as well. My '09 only uses two screws at the top for the rear plate and the factory installed foam near the bottom of the plate has decayed in less than a year.

I'm disappointed they didn't use a stiff rubber instead of cheap foam dots. The dots location doesn't even make full contact with Ontario plates as the indented letters cause uneven contact with the foam.

This uneven contact caused the plate to hit the hatch and scratch it up pretty bad on the right side. I was able to buff out most of the scratches but there are a few that are pretty deep. They are under the plate though so they got a good coat of wax and that is that.

The plate bottom still sits pretty far from the door - I'd say at least a 1/2" or more - you can use pretty thick weather stripping if you have to buy some.

CN

Attached Thumbnails 07' Outlander Rattles At Times, Help?-rearlicenseoverall.jpg   07' Outlander Rattles At Times, Help?-rearlicenserightsidewdamage.jpg   07' Outlander Rattles At Times, Help?-rearlicenseweatherstrippinginstalledonplate.jpg  
Old 07-29-2010, 03:00 AM

Mine rattles at low revs and then disappears. Yesterday I crawled down there and I tapped the heat shield, and I found that the front end of the heat shield has somehow got bent close to a piece of metal frame, so I just pushed that away. So far I have not heard of this noise again. this would usually be very noticeable when backing out from the garage. I didn't hear it again.. so far.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:33 PM

Odd..I just noticed this noise this week...definitely sounds like underneath and I was thinking heat shield as well. I put rubber bumpers behind my plate earlier and it was definitely a metal on metal rattle

Old 08-01-2010, 01:25 AM

This noise came back, and this time I had confirmed visually that it's the upper heat shield of the exhaust pipe, which is situated approximately under the driver's seat, that's causing this loud rattle. Looks like this is a prevalent problem among the 2nd gen Outlanders. That heat shieil has come off loose. There seem to be a metal clamp that's supposed to hold it but it looks like it got loose or something. This is definitely a warranty thing for me. Will be bringing it to the dealer next week.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rcpax
This noise came back, and this time I had confirmed visually that it's the upper heat shield of the exhaust pipe, which is situated approximately under the driver's seat, that's causing this loud rattle. Looks like this is a prevalent problem among the 2nd gen Outlanders. That heat shieil has come off loose. There seem to be a metal clamp that's supposed to hold it but it looks like it got loose or something. This is definitely a warranty thing for me. Will be bringing it to the dealer next week.
That's correct. I just had mine fixed at the dealer last week under warranty.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:45 PM

ugh..over 3 years and I might have to finally take it in for a repair ...well I guess i should get that recall work done as well...

Quick Reply: 07' Outlander Rattles At Times, Help?