Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

07 throttle hesitation so.cal.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Default RE: 07 throttle hesitation so.cal.

its not a safety issue, its just irritating.
it was originally done like that for emissions reasons.

if you want a REALLY slow throttle, try driving a hyundai XG or santa fe.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:33 PM

You would have changed your mind driving mine. My brother in law who is pretty car savvy refused to drive it. Even the service guy said it was really bad.

Mine did not have a slow throttle it was spot on off the line, in fact after the flash I think it may hesitate more from a complete stop than it used to. It was the rolling in 2nd that almost got me killed. Its manageable now and doesnt send me rocketing into a turn 3 sec after I really wanted to go.

Mine still has some lag, it seems to be about the norm after spending a few days in an '07 Corolla. which BTW was a dissapointment what a cheap car and it ran like crap.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:34 AM

Well I just called the 2 dealers loacl to me and 1 you have to jump through hoops with so I hung up on them. The second hasnt heard about the TSB either (both completely clueless)and I explained it to him and he was like we can set up a time that you can come by and we can look at it next week. I thought the TSB went to every dealer? Also does everyone has the hesitation problem becasue I only notice mine off the line its kinda of laggy, I think its just the drive by wire system. I dont notice it like the TSB says when you slow down and take back off. Should I bother setting up and app since no one in this area has that problem and the dealers know nothing about it?

Old 10-13-2007, 08:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Manybrews
Wrong again.

While they may have fixed it for emissions reasons, it's definately a safety issue.

In any low traction conditions the car will is very prone to drastic understeer upon even remotely agressive cornering. I've already experienced this on loose gravel over hardpan (like marbles - we have this a lot in VT)... you go into a corner slightly fast, then time the proper smooth transition to 'on-throttle' and nothing happens for 1-2 seconds while the car nose-dives and starts understeering off the crown of the road (or less frequently, the rear starts coming around). You can do nothing to prevent this at this point because you aren't getting power for that delay.

Haven't you ever heard the term 'steering with the throttle'? Would you think that would work when you have a multi-second delay? I think not.

Take it to a track day/club event and try late/trailbraking off the main straight at Limerock, then tell me it's not a safety issue as the towtruck rolls you back over onto your wheels.

As far as the drive by wire system - a Boeing 777 doesn't have a 2 second delay when they need to go full throttle for an aborted landing.

Antlip... That sucks about the dealers, hope mine are better! Maybe you don't actually have the issue - maybe you are just feeling general sluggishness. I know my problem matches the TSB description exactly - as I think Boldly's problem did as well. My tires chirp every morning coming out of my driveway if I stab the pedal - that part works fine for me.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:54 AM

chilli_g +1

I ride sportbikes so I drive like Im on a bike. Slow before the curve then apply throttle through andout of the curve. Which the lag did cause horrible understeer. I avoided mentioning this senario because most dont hit the twisties in their car like I do. If my husband follows me in his car with performance suspension and tires hes all over the place and slides out often. I actually have to take this road to the dealer

I took the twisties back from the dealer after the flash. I had a hard time in a different way because I had learned around the lag so I couldnt really tell exactly how it was after it was flashed. I kept expecting hesitation so I wouldnt apply as much throttle as I needed. Because before it would shoot youoff the road when it took off or on tight curvesI couldhave rolled the car.

After I would cause my own lag being afraid of the throttle lash I got before the flash. Sooo I think I have adjusted and plan on taking a drive this weekend.

What I have noticed so far is it seems to have power during the 3 sec where it previously didnt, however its still not full power, and then kicks in full power after the 3 seconds. But as I said that could be my own doing, maybe I can get my brain reflashed too

The outie rocks in the twisties especially in 4wd.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:18 PM

......update........
did a "walk-in" at anaheim mitsu this morning. service writer , julian.

took my info down , wrote up a ticket , i was out of there in a little over an hour total.
.....no more hesitation, smoother acceleration.......i'm happy with the service and the results !

Old 10-14-2007, 11:34 AM

I live in S.Cal and just had my outlander's ECM (Engine and Transmission) re-programmed at Huntington Beach Mitsubishi.[/align]Call them up for an appoinment and bring a copy of the TSB[/align]I really helps .. [/align]

Old 10-14-2007, 04:49 PM

I live in SoCal just had mine done last Tuesday in Norco Mitsubishi. When I mentioned it to the service advisor he said that he was not aware of any tsb's for the outlander. I gave himk a printout of the TSB that I got here and he then talked to the technician, then he told me they are gonna do the update. Took about an hour for them to update it.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:29 PM

I got mine done and what a difference. I think it was a safety issue because in wet or frozen conditions this thing was scary at times to drive. Last winter I was attempting to pass someone and as soon as I started merging the back end let go and swayed way left, then the stability control kicked in and swung it back the other way and stablized right before smacking the car I was passing with the back end. I've driven some old rust buckets that performed better in that same situation. Also in wet conditions this thing was a mess. It feels much better in the rain now, don't know about snow yet.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: chili_g

ORIGINAL: Manybrews
Wrong again.

While they may have fixed it for emissions reasons, it's definately a safety issue.

In any low traction conditions the car will is very prone to drastic understeer upon even remotely agressive cornering. I've already experienced this on loose gravel over hardpan (like marbles - we have this a lot in VT)... you go into a corner slightly fast, then time the proper smooth transition to 'on-throttle' and nothing happens for 1-2 seconds while the car nose-dives and starts understeering off the crown of the road (or less frequently, the rear starts coming around). You can do nothing to prevent this at this point because you aren't getting power for that delay.

Haven't you ever heard the term 'steering with the throttle'? Would you think that would work when you have a multi-second delay? I think not.

Take it to a track day/club event and try late/trailbraking off the main straight at Limerock, then tell me it's not a safety issue as the towtruck rolls you back over onto your wheels.

As far as the drive by wire system - a Boeing 777 doesn't have a 2 second delay when they need to go full throttle for an aborted landing.

Antlip... That sucks about the dealers, hope mine are better! Maybe you don't actually have the issue - maybe you are just feeling general sluggishness. I know my problem matches the TSB description exactly - as I think Boldly's problem did as well. My tires chirp every morning coming out of my driveway if I stab the pedal - that part works fine for me.

its hardly a "2 second delay". it was about a 40 ms delay, which a LOT of cars experience with todays drive-by-wire systems. It is programmed like that intentionally for a multitude of reasons... Smoothness, emissions, etc.
Ive driven nearly every car from every car line on the planet, minus some of the super-exotics, and the outlander was not even close to the worse.

Quick Reply: 07 throttle hesitation so.cal.