Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

07 xls crossmember help

Old 06-01-2019, 06:31 AM
Default 07 xls crossmember help

Hello all. Wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of replacing the front crossmember ( subframe).
Mine has a hole directly in the center of it that you can stick your finger through on the driver side. The rest of it seems solid as it had been(improperly)repaired at one time by the dealer with nox rust treatment, instead of replacing it.
I have a couple questions if anyone can help. The first is how involved is replacing it? And the second is can it be done while still saving the ball joints on the control arms?. I ask this because I just replaced control arms for the third time in the last 2 years. Finally got sick of cheap Chinese junk and replaced them with OEM control arms. I would like to try to save them if I can. The only tool I use to remove them is a pickle fork and it pretty well destroys the joint during removal..
Thanks

Old 06-01-2019, 08:54 AM

the part is recalled, dealer will replace for free, be aware they may break stuff in the process and it will be a fight to get them to fix it, but the subframe is like 800 bucks to do yourself

Old 06-01-2019, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by LittleBill
the part is recalled, dealer will replace for free, be aware they may break stuff in the process and it will be a fight to get them to fix it, but the subframe is like 800 bucks to do yourself
They already did the recall. Instead of replacing it they sprayed nox rust on it. I explained to them that that wouldn't work and they didn't give a crap. Gave a 10 month warranty on it and that was the end of the story--recall closed..... Rusted through now and no chance of dealer replacement. I was just hoping somebody had replaced it on their own and could give me some tips. Also was hoping somebody could tell me if it's possible to remove the control arms without destroying them .

Old 06-01-2019, 10:37 AM

you need a balljoint removal tool, pickel fork is if you are replacing the ball joint.

i would go to another dealer and try your story again or call mitsu. you get a new subframe new control arms and new sway bar end links.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:31 PM

Did you contact the Better Business Bureau? I would call Mitsu Corporate 3 times a day raising hell asking for managers and taking names. I would also post on Mitsu's Facebook page and Twitter. I went in for the recall all they did was slap some goop on it. Pretty crappy recall job. Also contact the national highway safety commission.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:37 AM

I contacted all of them twice. I tried to file a formal complaint at the National Highway Traffic Safety Commission and they actually agreed with Mitsubishi. They said since the recall was done and closed , anything Mitsubishi owed me was over... Their last deflection strategy at Mitsubishi, when I called back so angry I was ready to split rivets, was to question me on the mileage of the vehicle. Since the recall on corrosion was extended to 10 years or a hundred thousand miles, and my vehicle is 12 years old 135k, they actually pulled an ace out of their sleeve and said the" usable life "of my vehicle was "already met" and that there's nothing more they be willing to do. There's not much more one person can do except to get others together and file a class action lawsuit

Old 06-02-2019, 08:14 AM

i'll be honest, its why i waited till they were forced to replace mine. i caught the issue before the recall, put por 50 on it, did ****. it had a 4 inch hole in it last summer when i gave it to them for the recall. its an 07 with 115 on it. i didn't want the paint either.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 07xlsguy
I contacted all of them twice. I tried to file a formal complaint at the National Highway Traffic Safety Commission and they actually agreed with Mitsubishi. They said since the recall was done and closed , anything Mitsubishi owed me was over... Their last deflection strategy at Mitsubishi, when I called back so angry I was ready to split rivets, was to question me on the mileage of the vehicle. Since the recall on corrosion was extended to 10 years or a hundred thousand miles, and my vehicle is 12 years old 135k, they actually pulled an ace out of their sleeve and said the" usable life "of my vehicle was "already met" and that there's nothing more they be willing to do. There's not much more one person can do except to get others together and file a class action lawsuit
What did the Better Business Bureau say? You can also file a complaint with Consumer Affairs. Would also post on all their social media.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
What did the Better Business Bureau say? You can also file a complaint with Consumer Affairs. Would also post on all their social media.
I did manage to get the dealer to agree to replace the crossmember. Can anyone tell me if control arm replacement is part of the subframe recall?

Old 06-13-2019, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by LittleBill
i'll be honest, its why i waited till they were forced to replace mine. i caught the issue before the recall, put por 50 on it, did ****. it had a 4 inch hole in it last summer when i gave it to them for the recall. its an 07 with 115 on it. i didn't want the paint either.
Sorry, I'm not sure if this posted twice. Can you tell me if your control arms were replaced as part of your subframe recall replacement? Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07 xls crossmember help