Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

11 Outlander Sport won't start on first try! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:35 AM
Unhappy 11 Outlander Sport won't start on first try! Help!

I have an 11 Outlander that I just bought in November. For the past six to eight weeks a couple times a week it does not want to start on the first try. It sounds like it is going to start but then it won't. When I turn the key again it will start. It's not the battery. Recently, even on the second attempt it almost doesn't start, it sputters and then it will start. It has been a struggle to get the dealership to even look at it. They said until it breaks down there is nothing we can do. They said that it is probably the gas since in the winter time the ethenol is higher. That doesn't make sense, since I have NEVER had this problem with any other car I have had or know of anyone that has had this problem. Especially since it is brand new. It is very scary since I work an hour away from home.

I am taking my car in this Saturday. They are reluctantly hooking it up to the computer to see if they get a code. Do I have any other recourse? The only reason I bought a new car is so that I would have piece of mind, which I obviously do not have.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 AM

Try this when this happens. Take the key out of the ignition, gently shake the key ring then put it back in and try again. Here's what can happen. If another key on your key ring touches the fob it can block the signal being sent to the ignition and without that signal the anti-theft engine immoblizer prevents the vehicle from starting. I know this because I've had this happen 2-3 times in the 3+ years I've owned my 08 ES and it was as you described where the engine is cranking, but it doesn't start.

If you have a lot of keys on your ring this is more likely to happen. Check the owner's manual I believe this is documented somewhere in there. Also a weak or defective battery in the fob will cause this.

Last edited by azjake; 02-16-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it. I just recently put two keys on my key ring but didn't have any on there before, just the key ring. I would be thrilled if this was the problem. I am also going to have the dealer change my battery.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:40 PM

Interesting to find this thread / condition. I just had the same "no start on crank" condition a few days ago with my '11 Outie Sport - purchased last July, now has around 11k miles. I have no other keys near the fob end of the Mitsu key but if it happens again I may put a new battery in it.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:22 AM

In my original post I said if a key is touching the fob, but in reality it might more be if a key is in just the right position between the fob and ignition to block the signal. Think of it in terms of your cable/TV remote. I can point my remote towards the ceiling and it works because the signal can still reach the cable box. However if someone is standing right in front of my cable box the remote doesn't work because the signal is being blocked from reaching the box.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Default Update

The dealer hooked the car up and said there were no codes. They said there were also no updates for the computer. They said if it was the batter in the fob it would have shown up as faulty when they hooked it up. They pretty much patted me on the head and said that there was nothing they could do until it breaks down. I am so frustrated. This is my first Mitsubishi and I will NEVER buy one again.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:04 PM

I'm not sure how the starter works on the RVR (Sport), but in the "regular" Outlander you can use your key to start the car by taking it out of the FAST key fob and removing the plastic over the keyhole. Can you try it this way?
Or if its a start button, have you tried holding it longer? Likewise, pressing the gas while starting?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by 11Outlander
I have an 11 Outlander that I just bought in November. For the past six to eight weeks a couple times a week it does not want to start on the first try. It sounds like it is going to start but then it won't. When I turn the key again it will start. It's not the battery. Recently, even on the second attempt it almost doesn't start, it sputters and then it will start. It has been a struggle to get the dealership to even look at it. They said until it breaks down there is nothing we can do. They said that it is probably the gas since in the winter time the ethenol is higher. That doesn't make sense, since I have NEVER had this problem with any other car I have had or know of anyone that has had this problem. Especially since it is brand new. It is very scary since I work an hour away from home.

I am taking my car in this Saturday. They are reluctantly hooking it up to the computer to see if they get a code. Do I have any other recourse? The only reason I bought a new car is so that I would have piece of mind, which I obviously do not have.

My girlfriend's Outlander Sport is doing the exact same thing. Just intermittently won't start, then starts right up on the second try. It's happened with both of our keys. It wouldn't start at all this morning, called the dealer and had it towed there, and they said it started right up when they tried. This makes the 3rd time its there for the same problem. The service advisor said they were calling Mitsubishi in the morning. Waiting to hear what they have to say.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:35 AM

For all of you having this problem, I suggest you call Mitsubishi North America headquarters and tell them what's going on. If it is related to the fob not getting the signal to the ignition it could be some type of design defect, or a defective part. The best way to put heat on Mitsubishi to fix the problem is by calling their 800 number to complain.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:12 AM

I have an issue where the car will ALMOST not start, but then does at the last second. I have the FAST key FYI.

I HIGHLY doubt it is a FAST key issue, seeing at the OP doesnt sound like he has one, and also because if the FAST key wasn't connected, the motor wouldnt turn over at all.

Quick Reply: 11 Outlander Sport won't start on first try! Help!