Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

1st issue with my 07 XLS - Delayed takeoff

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Unhappy 1st issue with my 07 XLS - Delayed takeoff

Well, its a strange one, for 1yr+ since I bought it from Mitsu its been perfect, not even the slightest problem, now for around 2 months I've noticed something with it. I first noticed it when I stopped at a Stop sign and as you know (in the US we dont stop for a full second) so as I did my stop-and-go the acceleration appeared delayed and when the car finally moved it almost felt like it was kicking into gear. You could even say it felt like there was a blockage somewhere.

So after a few weeks of feeling it and seeing if it would do it again its happening more and more often to the point that its consistent. The best way to describe when the problem occurs and what happens is if you try doing this - pump the gas and take your foot off and as the car slows down then pump it again, if your Outie is running correctly it should accelerate smoothly whereas my Outie almost hesitates and gently kicks in.

Now here's the thing, a month ago the Periodic Inspection light started to come on the dash but I dont have enough money to get a service done yet so have been ignoring the problem. Although its only done 29k miles and I had my 15000 service last year, I know it could certainly help if I got it serviced but I'm sad to say that I don't have much faith in Mitsu dealers' service dept and I know they'll just belittle my claims and give me BS about how its running normal when I KNOW IT'S NOT.

So before I give in and schedule a service what is the most likely problem I may have with it?
1. Simply requires a service and it will be resolved as a result of this (from your own experience?)
2. Transmission issue?
3. MIVEC issue?
3. Blockage somewhere?
4. Something else??

Any ideas or personal experiences similar to mine would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-11-2009, 01:51 AM

I have the same thing and I wouldn't worry about this because it's "normal" for... well... a budget car. Besides, your engine/transmission is covered for 100k...

Old 09-11-2009, 07:43 AM

Maybe changing your tranny fluid?

Old 09-11-2009, 07:55 AM

have you ever had the computer's firmware upgraded? We had an issue where there was a bit of a delay, then it felt like it would rocket off the line. We had the firmware/software upgraded and it is much improved...free of charge.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:35 AM

I have an 08 ES with the 4 cylinder engine and CVT. If I'm at a complete stop and push the gas pedal hard there's a slight delay before taking off. It's been that way from the beginning. On the other hand if I'm already moving and punch it, the takeoff is immediate.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:19 AM
tcp
Default Throttle hesitation

This is a well known issue for drive-by-wire throttle vehicles. It crops up more the more gears you have and how the system is programmed. when you are rolling along at 15-25mph your transmission is trying to give you the best fuel economy it can and will shift into the highest gear it can (3-5th depending). When you stab the throttle, it has to downshift numerous gears and that takes time...that's your hesitation.

Try rolling on the throttle gently instead of punching it. I would bet the hesitation is much reduced at that point.

Chances are good the transmission did this throughout your time with the vehicle, but you've really just started noticing it lately and, because it is an adaptive (learning) transmission, it may be more pronounced now that you are trying to make it happen and testing it.

All that being said, in late 2007/early 2008 there was a TSB put out by mitsubishi to reprogram the transmission control computer and the engine management system for this exact issue. It took me a while to get my dealership to do it, but haven't really noticed this issue since. There will be a sticker under the hood if it has been performed.

Attached Thumbnails 1st issue with my 07 XLS - Delayed takeoff-tsb.jpg   1st issue with my 07 XLS - Delayed takeoff-tsbsticker.jpg   1st issue with my 07 XLS - Delayed takeoff-tsblevels.jpg  
Old 09-11-2009, 10:14 PM

Okay, thanks for the suggestions, I will take it in for a service soon and mention the issue and request they check/reprogram the transmission computer, maybe even a transmission fluid change too will help on top of that..?

Thank again.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Default Same hesitation on a 2004 xls?

I've recently noticed a similar thing with my 2004 xls. If I press the brake to slow down (to like 20 km/h) and then hit the gas right away I get the slight hesitation maybe 1sec, followed by a thud as I jump forward. It feels almost exactly as if I were driving a manual transmission and I reved the engine and just let go of the clutch. Like it just grabbed and lurched.

Is there a reprogramming that can be done on a 2004 to fix the problem?

Old 10-14-2009, 02:23 PM

beer, have you checked the fluid level? made sure the fluid isn't burnt?

Old 10-14-2009, 10:17 PM
tcp
Default yup, agree with ccernst

that sounds more like low fluid level or very much needing a fluid change.

Originally Posted by beerbaron
I've recently noticed a similar thing with my 2004 xls. If I press the brake to slow down (to like 20 km/h) and then hit the gas right away I get the slight hesitation maybe 1sec, followed by a thud as I jump forward. It feels almost exactly as if I were driving a manual transmission and I reved the engine and just let go of the clutch. Like it just grabbed and lurched.

Is there a reprogramming that can be done on a 2004 to fix the problem?

Quick Reply: 1st issue with my 07 XLS - Delayed takeoff