Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2 companies won't put tires with a different speed rating on

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Default 2 companies won't put tires with a different speed rating on

Hey all,

So I just talked with two tires shops locally. My OEM tires are 215/70/16 (99H).

I am shopping for tires, but only a couple are H rated in that size other than the OEM ones which I didn't like. When talking with the shops, they refuse to put lower speed rated tires on. They say it is a legal issue and flat out refuse.

I have thought about going different sizes in hopes to get a tire that is H rated (235/65/16 or 225/65/16)

I know some of you have put S and T rated tires on....I am about to call a third place, but I am seeing a pattern...

Both of them have said that a great T rated tire will still handle worse than a crappy H rated tire.....Thoughts on this??? One thing I am trying to do is up the handling of the outlander. I didn't like the stock tires at all (felt like the sidewalls were too soft)

thanks!

Old 09-08-2011, 09:23 AM

Upsize your wheels to 18s and you can get plenty of tires with better handling sidewalls. You've got tiny wheels with giant sidewalls, they're all going to be sloppy feeling.

I wouldn't want my shop to put on lower speed rated tires either. I think it's illegal for them to do so, and when you exceed the speed rating and the tires lose traction or explode, then they could be liable for the damage caused.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Upsize your wheels to 18s and you can get plenty of tires with better handling sidewalls. You've got tiny wheels with giant sidewalls, they're all going to be sloppy feeling.

I wouldn't want my shop to put on lower speed rated tires either. I think it's illegal for them to do so, and when you exceed the speed rating and the tires lose traction or explode, then they could be liable for the damage caused.

You're right - that's what they said - it was illegal for them to do so. However, I just got off the phone with a mitsu dealer and they say they do it all the time (especially T rated). I guess I am confused since winter tires aren't the same speed rating as the OEM and no one has an issue with that?

BUt the main question is are T rated tires going to handle noticeably worse than the H rated yokohmas?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:14 AM

Winter tires are special, and probably aren't legal for use in the non-winter anyways (their compound is essentially useless at summer temps IIRC).

I think if you're concerned about handling, you should just get actual performance tires with less sidewalls. You're trying to get the sportiest tire out of a group of tires not designed at all for sport. Why not just buy a set of 18s and get sporty tires?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:42 AM

I bought my lower rated BF Goodrich tires at Discount tire. They are in 23 states and the largest independent tire dealer in the US. Trust me if it was illegal to go to a lower speed rating they never would have sold and installed the tires. Also as I said in another post, on dry pavement there is no difference in handling. Can't speak to wet or snow, but I do know my BFG tires are rated all season just as the OEM Yokohama tires are.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
Both of them have said that a great T rated tire will still handle worse than a crappy H rated tire.....Thoughts on this??? One thing I am trying to do is up the handling of the outlander. I didn't like the stock tires at all (felt like the sidewalls were too soft)
What they said is correct. If you thought the sidewalls were too soft with an H, you need to go higher in the speed rating, not lower. As the speed rating increases (to V, W, Z, etc.) the sidewalls get stiffer and the tires tend to ride harder (but they handle better).

Speed ratings go like this - ranked slower to faster:

S
T
H
V
W
Z

Unfortunately, with a 70 series tire (tall sidewall) you're not likely to find much (if anything) with a speed rating higher than H.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Winter tires are special, and probably aren't legal for use in the non-winter anyways (their compound is essentially useless at summer temps IIRC).

I think if you're concerned about handling, you should just get actual performance tires with less sidewalls. You're trying to get the sportiest tire out of a group of tires not designed at all for sport. Why not just buy a set of 18s and get sporty tires?
I don't really have the cash to do that at this point, but I would like to.

I was just talking with a mitsu dealer and they said one of the tire suppliers wouldn't even quote them a price since the tire they wanted to bring in would be a lower speed rating than what was on the outlander initally. Mind you, another dealer said they install T rated tires ALL THE TIME on the outlanders.....

I guess the shops here are just following the rules and clearing themselves of any legal issues.

i guess if I want a T rated tire than I have to go to the dealer for installation lol

thanks for the input

Oh, and azjake, the shop did say they are coming out with a H rated BF goodrich long trail TA tour in the stock size, so maybe I'll just wait for that one (coming out in a month)....

Old 09-08-2011, 12:30 PM

I think you will be happy with the H rated BF Goodrich's.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:33 PM

I second the Discount Tire suggestion. T-rated tires are rated at 118MPH. Wonder what the probability is for an Outlander to reach this speed is.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by rzracer
I second the Discount Tire suggestion. T-rated tires are rated at 118MPH. Wonder what the probability is for an Outlander to reach this speed is.
Probably about the same chance the Colts will be fine without Manning :P

Still, the places here won't put a T rated tire on my outlander

Quick Reply: 2 companies won't put tires with a different speed rating on