Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2 companies won't put tires with a different speed rating on

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by azjake
I think you will be happy with the H rated BF Goodrich's.

Did you notice a mpg drop going with a heavier tire?

I think this will be the way I am going to go....it's getting to complicated now

Old 09-08-2011, 02:16 PM

I think I'd ask them for the law to read for yourself. A T rated tire is good until 118mph. I doubt the vehicle is capable of reaching that speed before a governer kicks in. I got my Duelers installed no questions asked.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
I think I'd ask them for the law to read for yourself. A T rated tire is good until 118mph. I doubt the vehicle is capable of reaching that speed before a governer kicks in. I got my Duelers installed no questions asked.
The Fuel cut off is set to 210 Km/Hr or 130 MPH
per the 07 manual you have

Attached Thumbnails 2 companies won't put tires with a different speed rating on-max-speed.jpg  
Old 09-08-2011, 03:00 PM

Its not against the law to install a lower speed rating, its a liability issue. If you were to have a tread separation, blowout, etc. and there was major damage, injury or loss of life, your attorney would go after the shop for installing a tire that wasn't suited for the car (according to what was specified by the manufacturer). Ask anyone involved with the Firestone/Ford Explorer mess. There are still pending lawsuits from that ten years later.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:21 PM

The Mitsu dealer probably does it because they have knowledge of the Outlander, and I'd imagine that it's limited to 100mph or so in the computer.

And independent tire shop isn't going to know what each vehicle is limited to, and so will just not downgrade in speed ratings.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Claude_A
The Fuel cut off is set to 210 Km/Hr or 130 MPH
per the 07 manual you have
Good God!!! I don't think I'd want to go that fast in this vehicle!!

Old 09-09-2011, 10:10 AM

No drop in mileage on the BFGs. They are 215/70/16 like the OEMs so any weight difference is small. Going to a bigger tire (ie 235) will increase weight and that could affect mpg. Also a wider tire puts more rubber, and therefore more friction, on the road. If you search the tire manufacture website you should be able to get the weights of the tires.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:49 AM

No drop in mileage on the BFGs. They are 215/70/16 like the OEMs so any weight difference is small. Going to a bigger tire (ie 235) will increase weight and that could affect mpg. Also a wider tire puts more rubber, and therefore more friction, on the road. If you search the tire manufacture website you should be able to get the weights of the tires.

I looked up the weights and I thought I read that the BF goodrich are 5-6 lbs heavier (the Geolanders are only 25lbs)..that's why I asked - I would think 6lbs a tire would make a difference.

ANyway, I think I am going to go with those, but the new H rated ones (Stock size). I have read a lot of reviews of this tire on similar size vehicles (CRV, RAV 4, SANTE FE), and all are pretty positive in the rain and highway (my main concerns since I am in Nova Scotia) - mind you they don't way what size these reviews are on. I have dedicated winters so I am not concerned there.

How is steering response and cornering stability? I felt the geolander OEM tires were pretty bad in this respect - meaning a quick lane change at highway speeds had me fearing for my life. I am hoping to get rid of that due to hopefully a stiffer sidewall of the BF goodrich.

Cheers!

Old 09-10-2011, 10:29 AM

Well, even with the extra 20-25 lbs my mpg stayed the same. The biggest factor on my mpg is the summer heat. Engines like cool damp air, and we get hot dry air in the summer and I see about a 1.5 mile drop in mpg.

Here's something else I've never talked about before. I always set my tires, both OEMs and the BFGs, at 35 psi cold even though Mitsubishi says 32 psi for this vehicle. I like the stiffer sidewall and the better handling response it gives. Yes, I know this is controversial and I don't want to get into a debate on this so to each his own, but I will say the steering and response is great on my BFG's.

I don't care for low profile tires and on other auto forums I visit I hear stories about tire blowouts and bent rims when you hit a bad pothole. I prefer the protection of a taller sidewall that I can stiffen up by putting in an extra 3 psi.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:28 AM

Well, even with the extra 20-25 lbs my mpg stayed the same. The biggest factor on my mpg is the summer heat. Engines like cool damp air, and we get hot dry air in the summer and I see about a 1.5 mile drop in mpg.
Engines like hot air (well, to an extent, I doubt it gets to be 150 degrees or more where you'd be running into heat issues). People don't, and people run the A/C higher so they can be kept cooler. The AC is what causes your drop in mpg, as the warmer air is actually a little better and lets the engine run a little leaner.

When it gets cooler, your engine puts a little more fuel in to adjust, and so your engines will feel more powerful.

Quick Reply: 2 companies won't put tires with a different speed rating on