Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2003 Outlander - disaster strikes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Default 2003 Outlander - disaster strikes!

Posting this on behalf of my brother-in-law.

His 2003 Outlander just experienced a disaster. The timing belt failed, and because of the interference design...you get the picture . I should note this was well before the recommended replacement interval. He does very little driving.

The engine can be replaced, but he's been quoted $3,200.

My questions are:
- Does it have to be a 4G64? More specifically, does it have to be a 4G64 from an Outlander?
- Could he install a 4G69 instead? Would that have to be from an Outlander?

Also, any suggestions on how this problem can be solved would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:40 AM
tcp
Default Time or distance

Timing belts have a replacement interval that is both time and distance dependent. If it is still the original belt, he's well over the 7 year interval, regardless of mileage.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Old 10-17-2011, 09:31 AM

tcp - the belt was replaced once before, as a precaution, so the belt itself should have been well within both the time and mileage limits.

Vladimus - thank you, I will direct him to that link.

I appreciate your assistance folks.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Default New to an Outlander? What engine do I have?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Outlander world, just picked up an 04, and have a few questions after reading many posts in this forum.

How can I tell which engine I have, 4G64 or 4G69?

I'm no mechanic, but like to work on what I can, where can I get the shop manual? I've tried downloading it from several places to no avail.

Mileage is 110K, what should I be getting ready to service?

Anyone change the shocks/struts themselves? Maybe put up step by step instructions on how to do this. I've never done struts before.

Any info that can get me accustomed to the Outy would be appreciated!!

Old 12-12-2011, 10:43 PM

ByteGuy,

If you have a 2004, then you have a 4G69 (160HP) 2.4L engine. The -64 was only offered on the 2003s, and was replaced with the -69 to help with the higher speed "wheezing" the -64s have when at highway speeds here in the US.

From Wikipedia, with a good amount of info on all the Mits engines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Sirius_engine

Old 01-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Default New member /owner

I have just purcheased my first Mitsubishi . It is a used 2003 Outlander XLS with 82000 km. Bought new - one owner and serviced by dealer in Vancouver. In fact I have not even seen the car - much less driven it but my brother in law assures me it is a in excellent condition. ( Not his car either). MY primary concern is the timing belt. Is the replacement based on time - or km - or a combination? Assuming it has not yet been done - should it be? And if it should - does it have to be a dealer?

thanks for your anticpated assistance.

Geoff

Old 01-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Default Better safe than broke

Beezzer I definitely would change the belt unless it comes with irrefutable proof that it's been changed. The engine is an interference design, so if the belt breaks you won't just be stranded, you are going to need a new engine.

To paraphrase an old ad 'you can pay me (a reasonable amount) now or pay me (alot) later'.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Default Dealer ? or Reputable Garage?

Any thoughts on the place to get it done? I know that when I bought my first VW TDI the cost was ridiculous but over the years it seems to have gradually dropped to something reasonable. Also - VW almost always automatically changed the water pump at the same time. Same deal here?

Old 01-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Default Ask around

See if you friends have a garage they've been to and been satisfied. Dealers are too damned expensive. Independent garages require some research though. Ask on the boards here for someone in your area, look online (type in the name of the place and see if it pops up on review sites or blogs...it helps if you add key words like 'excellent' or 'sucks' or 'dishonest' or what have you), check out the Better Business Bureaus website, etc.

Quick Reply: 2003 Outlander - disaster strikes!