Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2003 Outlander - feels weird on ice

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Default 2003 Outlander - feels weird on ice

Hi everyone,

We picked up a 2003 Outlander AWD this winter and overall I'm very happy with it. However, I noticed one very weird issue and I'm not sure if it's just the way the car is supposed to be or if we have a problem.

When driving this winter, when the Outlander would hit icy patches, the car would handle very strangely. It's hard to describe, but it was like the car would start to twist or shift side-to-side.

It was similar to the feeling of driving down a road that has ruts in it, but much more "twitchy".

It honestly would feel like at any second the car was going to spin sideways - like it was struggling to go straight.

But it's only when it hits ice that I've noticed this.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Paul

Old 03-24-2014, 12:53 PM

you have got to be trolling me!
Ffs.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:57 PM

I don't get it. Why is that a troll?

I've had AWD cars before as well as 4x4 trucks. I've never had a vehicle behave like this. I was curious if this is a known behavior or not.

I wasn't sure because my previous AWD cars have had traction control and this one doesn't. I didn't know if that made the difference or not.

I thought this was a friendly place to ask questions.

-Paul

Old 03-25-2014, 01:33 AM

best of luck to you paul. for everything.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:56 AM

Thanks, but does anyone have any comments or thoughts on this subject?

I honestly have no idea why you've decided to comment the way you have Akzle. Is my question that unworthy of a reply?

Really, I am 100% new to the Outlander and I don't know if this is a known issue, if this is normal behavior or if I have a problem I need to check out.

I've already dealt with a frozen caliper which caused a rotor to warp. But I can't find any information anywhere on this odd behavior on ice that I've experienced.

-Paul

Old 03-25-2014, 07:04 AM

Every vehicle is different is all I can say. You cant compare one to the other and expect them to act exactly the same. Another board I'm on, people complain about a particluar AWD vehicle they drive and how it acts "squirrely" on ice, "different" from any other vehicle they have owned or driven in similar situations. All I can say is driving on ice is a unique situation. Just slow down and adjust to the vehicle. If you feel there is something mechanically wrong, then by all means, have the vehicle checked out by a qualified mechanic. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:34 AM

Squirrely is probably how I'd describe it. I've owned several DSM's (Talons) in the past and never experienced the feeling I get in the Outlander.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:46 AM

You cannot compare and Outlander to a Talon, just like you can't compare 4x4 to AWD.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:04 AM

I understand that, but isn't the Outlander built on the Lancer platform? I would have expected similar performance.

In any event, my question still hasn't been answered. With the 2003 Outlander, does it typically have a "squirrely" feel when driving in icy conditions?

-Paul

Old 03-25-2014, 01:43 PM

Tires....plus remember ice is not dry but covered with patches of water or snow.

Tires are loosing and regaining traction at random hence the movement you are feeling.

AWC, AWD, 4x4 are no better on ice than 2wd in fact probably worst as they try to compensate by switching torque around at the same time as the tires are fighting for grip.

All the 4 wheels drives are better at is the Go not better at bracking or staying on track.

4 seasons tires loose traction at around + 7C and lower if you drive on ice often get ice rated winter tires otherwise you will be better driving a FWD with open dif that will not fight the tires.

I have 40 years of winter driving and learned to drive in the Canadian Artic ad drove everything from VW bug to fuel tanker and felt that unsetling giggle many time in the seat of the pants while driving on slick road.

Remember your only contact with the road are the tires.

Quick Reply: 2003 Outlander - feels weird on ice