Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2005 Outlander - When I have to use a tranny's Sport Mode function?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 04:52 AM
Default 2005 Outlander - When I have to use a tranny's Sport Mode function?

My Outlander four-speed transmission has a sports mode function, which means thatI can manually shift if desired. Would you please tell me when/why do I need to use it? Road condition? Up-hill? Down-hill?
Thanking in advance

Last edited by catacami; 06-03-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:23 AM
Default RE: 2005 Outlander - When I have to use a tranny's Sport Mode function?

i use mine in the winter mostly its very good in the snow with it between 1st and 2nd gear....

Also its fun to use when your out on the twistie roads to get better pickup when exiting the turn....

Old 05-02-2007, 09:40 AM

Mainly just for fun. Have you seen the new lancer commerical where they are racing around the freeway getting on and off the entrance and exits? It can give you a little bit more speed if you shift it just right.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:53 PM

you never "need" to use it. Mostly, its a gimmeck that some people enjoy using.

Me? I leave my car in "drive" and let it decide.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:58 PM

manybrews is right. all auto trans' are 'shiftable;' all you're doing when you choose a gear is locking out the trans automatically shifting up to the next higher one. maybe these new trans' can handle the up and down with that torque converter going like mad and all those hot clutches; all i see is 'new trans needed' if you abuse that manual option.
in my opinion, only a clutch pedal gives you control over car, even if some F1 cars no longer use them. i rushed to get the 2006 outlander when i found out the 2007 was going to be auto trans only. i like the 2007's, but i like driving a manual trans more, but that's me....

Old 05-02-2007, 10:34 PM

its nothing you have to use...
however 06outie is correct... using it in the snow should help alot...
you do the upshifting, and let it do the downshifting.. .

Old 05-02-2007, 11:52 PM

Expositor:

Thank you for mentioning the 'total' control we have over our manual trans Outlanders.
A manual transmission coupled with AWD makes the Outlander a terrific performer
in inclement weather. It is a shame that Mitsubishi only wants to offer auto trans on the 2007 Outlanders
I have had manual transmission cars all my driving life, and I am 50 now. It is sad that many people don't
have the opportunity to drive a manual.

jerry (2005 silver AWD 5 speed manual)

Old 05-03-2007, 11:24 PM

rocair, we speak the same language. the only automatics i've owned were cheap hand-me-downs when my finances went south some years ago. one of my sons is still driving my '93 mitsu expo awd with like 255,000 on it, and only on clutch #2. i just hope mitsu doesn't take the clutches out of all their cars like some other car companies have, but that's why i went for the 2006 outlander, which i intend to keep, well, forever if mitsu stops offering manual trans's....

Old 05-03-2007, 11:57 PM

Expositor

Thanks for responding!
I owned a 90 Galant 5 spdthat I traded for the outlander, it had 298,000 plus miles on it.
was burning oil, but ran excellent to the end, I wish I could find another one. My galant
was a great car. Also had a 1982 Plymouth Sapporo, which was a mitsubishi also. That
car really was fast, in third gear you could bury the speedo needle.
Yes I am aMitsubishi owner and proud of it!!
Have you looked at the new Lancer nice! and 5 speed is available

jerry

Old 05-04-2007, 06:16 AM

ORIGINAL: expositor
i rushed to get the 2006 outlander when i found out the 2007 was going to be auto trans only. i like the 2007's, but i like driving a manual trans more, but that's me....
Having driven manual for many years with my Lancer GL 1992, I totally agree with you that manual transmission is total control, and I loved it. Way back in my home country, where speed limits are only a "suggestion" even in city roads, we never get speeding tickets, so every day was a joy ride for me. If only I had the money then for an Evo VIII or IX. But the US is a totally different scenario. Where I live, the freeway is the only place you can really push. My usual day means a stoplight every 3-4 blocks on the average. And you can't legally do rolling stops on "stop" signs, even if there's clearly nobody at the intersection. So I can appreciate the smooth 6 speed auto trasmission during those stops. I wouldn't call myself an "expert" driver, but experienced at the least, even then, I don't see how I can match the mileage I get from the 6 speed auto if I had to my driving manually. So the 6 speed auto truly offers ease and comfort, plus the benefit of mileage, while the paddle/stick shifters are there for fun and some control if you need to. We may get to see manual 2nd gen Outlanders in the years to come, but at the moment, I am happy Mitsubishi offers the best of both worlds (auto and sportronic) in the current model. It could have been worse if they offered it in CVT, basing on Edmunds review of the current Lancer.

Quick Reply: 2005 Outlander - When I have to use a tranny's Sport Mode function?