Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2005 Outlander XLS replacing TPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Default 2005 Outlander XLS replacing TPS

Is there anything I should be aware of or know, before I replace the throttle position sensor?

Thanks
Brian

Old 07-15-2014, 07:21 PM

Yes try cleaning it first n reseating it as that worked for me

Old 07-16-2014, 06:50 AM

Hi Mitch, I also have an intermittent problem with the TPS (another post).
I do not want to pay the £360 + vat for a new one (complete assembly).
Does the sensor part come off easy enough? From memory I think there was a bolt top and bottom, once these are off does it slide off?
I assume this is some type of pot so the failure might be caused by debris from use...

Old 07-24-2014, 07:10 AM

Brian, did you change it ok or just clean it? Has it cured the problem?

Old 07-24-2014, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by beefos
Brian, did you change it ok or just clean it? Has it cured the problem?
Hi beefos,
Thanks for asking, I cleaned the large spring, that has the throttle position sensor attached with BRAKE CLEANER spray, it cleans all residue and evaporates quickly, it cleaned it really well, I also cleaned the end of the throttle cable that attaches to the spring assembly, and all appeared to be okay (no high idle), it's been okay for about 4 days.
I have not yet cleaned the sensor, just the spring and cable end.

Brian

Old 07-28-2014, 07:14 AM

Hi Brian, I had a look at the sensor and it can be removed easy enough but is then a sealed plastic module so I can't get inside to clean any debris.

I think my symptoms are different to yours - mine stops responding so I get stranded with no throttle input! It has only happened 3 times and each time I remove the 8 pin connector and put it back then it works again...

I tried to buy the sensor but Mitsubishi only sell the whole assembly fro lots of money!

Old 07-29-2014, 05:12 PM

Hi Brian, I had a look at the sensor and it can be removed easy enough but is then a sealed plastic module so I can't get inside to clean any debris.

I think my symptoms are different to yours - mine stops responding so I get stranded with no throttle input! It has only happened 3 times and each time I remove the 8 pin connector and put it back then it works again...

I tried to buy the sensor but Mitsubishi only sell the whole assembly fro lots of money!
Hi beefos
Have you tried these guys, [url=http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/throttle_position_sensor/mitsubishi/outlander.html, just confirm with them the year of your vehicle.
Mitsubishi pricing is crazy, I thought I needed a new throttle body, $1645.00 from Mitsubishi Canada, I found one in the U.S. for about $700.00, and less than $100.00 from China with a one year warranty.
Hope this helps.
Brian

Old 09-07-2014, 11:38 AM

Managed to get a new sensor by importing it from the US.
part no is MR578861 and I paid 45 dollars plus freight and duty, about 50 pound all in.
Easy to fit, about 5 minutes. No more problems since fitting so I'm happy now!

Old 09-13-2014, 04:36 PM

Managed to get a new sensor by importing it from the US.
part no is MR578861 and I paid 45 dollars plus freight and duty, about 50 pound all in.
Easy to fit, about 5 minutes. No more problems since fitting so I'm happy now!
That's great news, who did you buy the sensor from in the U.S. should I ever need one.

Brian

Old 09-14-2014, 04:09 AM

I got it from a us ebay seller his website is powerxparts.com. It has fixed my problem, I haven't had a cut out since fitting it. Hope you never need one but just in case...

Quick Reply: 2005 Outlander XLS replacing TPS