Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2007-2008 Outlander Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Default 2007-2008 Outlander Reliability

Hello everyone,
I am shopping for a car that's under $15k, and Outlander caught my eye. The car looks and seems like a perfect choice for me, but I am on the fence when it comes to reliablity. JD Power gave this car poor reviews, but I though I ask real owners - how reliable is this car? Compared to Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4 or Subaru Forester, is it better / worse? What are the most common issues with this vehicle?
Thank you for taking time to read this, please reply if you think it will add to the discussion.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:44 PM

I was looking at the same vehicles when I was looking. I've had very little problems with mine. Granted mine doesn't have as many bells and whistles...but it isn't base model. As long as maintenance is kept up, I've had great luck so far. That being said, I'm now past the 100k mark, which is when things start to wear out.

In terms of failures, I've only had a rear wheel speed sensor, some light leaking from the lower oil pan, some leaking from rear differential output cv shaft. There were a few TSBs out to help some acceleration problems, some wheel liners were replaced in the front...minor issues. Great vehicle for the money.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:53 PM

I bought my '07 off the lot new. I have 85k miles and have had ZERO problems. I have a mechanic that I trust and he tells me that everything is in check.
- Tranny fluid is still clean, no need for a flush.
- Power steering fluid ok
- brakes ok, would like to upgrade pads/rotors soon
- my coolant must have a small leak because we add some about once a year
- have replaced tires ONCE

Is it the perfect vehicle? No, but for the last 5 years I have no complaints. I purchased because IMO it was the best bang for the buck. I feel that the reliability has been no doubt ideal, especially with not having it in the shop other than for oil changes and tire rotations.

Things I love:
- handeling in wet/snowy conditions (live in Colorado, defenitely the best vehicle I've driven in the snow)
- spacey back seat, passengers cant believe how much room
- HID lights
- bluetooth
- FAST key (wouldnt buy a car without it now)
- tailgate (great for loading, and duh, tailgating)

Old 09-25-2012, 04:09 PM

ccerns, tdford - Thank you guys for the opinions. This makes me feel more secure about the purchase. I am still window shopping, there are some vehicles that caught my attention like this one, (which is within my budget with all the taxes but 24 months warranty is $2300. Pricey!).
Anyway if anyone has any suggestions on what to look for / what to avoid, and about some Mitsubishi specific quirks please feel free to chime in. Thanks everyone for taking your time!
Kacper

Old 09-26-2012, 12:44 PM

I bought mine new and it has 90K miles now. Only been to the dealer once for the throtle TSB.

tdford, adding a bit of coolant once a year is not unheard off. I do the same to my outy. I have never seen it leak anywhere. I am not a chemist but my theory is that the water content in it burns off or escaspes some how with time therefore lowering its volume. Perfectly normal to have to replace a few ounces a year.

Last edited by OTO27; 09-26-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by OTO27
I bought mine new and it has 90K miles now. Only been to the dealer once for the throtle TSB.

tdford, adding a bit of coolant once a year is not unheard off. I do the same to my outy. I have never seen it leak anywhere. I am not a chemist but my theory is that the water content in it burns off or escaspes some how with time therefore lowering its volume. Perfectly normal to have to replace a few ounces a year.
I figured as much. Every once in a while a shop will try to tell me that there is a leak, but we just top it off like once a year like you have experienced.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:13 PM

I have an 07 Outlander XLS bought it back in 09 with slightly under 20K miles for 15,550. it now has about 56k miles, gotta say its been pretty reliable, knock on wood. had similar issue with throttle TSB, it was brought in for service for some minor recalls a switch or something but that's pretty much it, except for my little problem now. my cigarette AC outlet doesn't seem to work, i checked the fuzes they seem fine. will bring it in monday to dealer for a look. But like the other guy said, handling and snow driving are a pleasure with this car. oh and its mighty quick.

Last edited by cheech; 09-27-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by OTO27

Originally Posted by tdford
I bought my '07 off the lot new. I have 85k miles and have had ZERO problems. I have a mechanic that I trust and he tells me that everything is in check.
- Tranny fluid is still clean, no need for a flush.
- Power steering fluid ok
- brakes ok, would like to upgrade pads/rotors soon
- my coolant must have a small leak because we add some about once a year
- have replaced tires ONCE

Is it the perfect vehicle? No, but for the last 5 years I have no complaints. I purchased because IMO it was the best bang for the buck. I feel that the reliability has been no doubt ideal, especially with not having it in the shop other than for oil changes and tire rotations.

Things I love:
- handeling in wet/snowy conditions (live in Colorado, defenitely the best vehicle I've driven in the snow)
- spacey back seat, passengers cant believe how much room
- HID lights
- bluetooth
- FAST key (wouldnt buy a car without it now)
- tailgate (great for loading, and duh, tailgating)
What coolant do you guys use? The genuine Mitsubishi one? Or something from an auto parts store?

Old 09-27-2012, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by kmarcisz
ccerns, tdford - Thank you guys for the opinions. This makes me feel more secure about the purchase. I am still window shopping, there are some vehicles that caught my attention like this one, (which is within my budget with all the taxes but 24 months warranty is $2300. Pricey!).
Anyway if anyone has any suggestions on what to look for / what to avoid, and about some Mitsubishi specific quirks please feel free to chime in. Thanks everyone for taking your time!
Kacper
Wow $12K for that XLS. I bet the dealer paid $8K for it.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:42 AM

BTW, found an interesting bit about the coolant

Coolants | Mitsubishi Service 411

Quick Reply: 2007-2008 Outlander Reliability