Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2007 with confused torque converter lockup

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Default 2007 with confused torque converter lockup

Background info: 2007 Outlander w/ 6-speed jatco automatic with 58000 miles. We got he car used at around 55k miles.

The other day I was informed the the outlander's primary driver that around 45-50 MPH it seemed like the transmission was confused about what gear it should be in, and as of late is confused pretty often. Immediately without having driven it I recognized that as a torque converter that's not interested in being in lockup/overdrive.

So I took it for a drive trying to replicate the problem, and it drove fine going into lockup in 5th and 6th like its supposed to, that is until I tried to accelerate from a stop up to 60 mph on a rural highway (after driving for 8 minutes), then it decided to go to 6th, kick into lockup and then back out of lockup and stayed like that for a bit. I managed to get it to kick back into lockup again after 2 minutes by using the manual shift function to kick it down to 4th for a few seconds and then pushing the stick back to drive. After that the transmission/TC functioned properly the rest of the drive home (another 20 miles, rural highway and city).

So... What the hell?

I checked the fluid for color and any odd smell, it is the light red fluid that the transmission is supposed to have and it doesn't look or smell odd. One thing I did note, while I didn't check the fluid right after running the car, the level on the dipstick was noticeably above the hot range. I intend to check it properly next time I have the Outlander around.

Input is appreciated.

Thanks.
-J

Old 05-08-2011, 08:48 PM

you should have a 5yr/60k mile warranty if you bought it used...take it in.

when you checked the fluid...was it running?

Old 05-09-2011, 11:42 AM

No it wasn't running, it had been sitting for about 45 minutes.

I figure dealership is a last resort, as I expect they will either not be able to replicate the problem, or find any codes that say there is a problem (therefore there is no problem, here's your car back and a $100 diagnostics fee). That's why I have learned to fix everything myself on our VW and Fords including swinging transmissions, but I've never dealt with this symptom.

I figure if it is overfilled I will drain some fluid out to get it to the right level. Beyond that I have no idea.

BTW if I do have to go to a dealer, any dealership around Houston that people like?

Old 05-10-2011, 12:04 AM

automatics should be checked while the fluid is warm/hot and engine running.

also, this tranny takes DiaQueen ATF-J2. There is no aftermarket substitute. Unless you pick it up off the internet, you get to go to the dealership to get fluid. Our fluid lasted until 45k miles, then needed a flush.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
automatics should be checked while the fluid is warm/hot and engine running.

also, this tranny takes DiaQueen ATF-J2. There is no aftermarket substitute. Unless you pick it up off the internet, you get to go to the dealership to get fluid. Our fluid lasted until 45k miles, then needed a flush.
...and the vehicle must be parked (with parking brake) on a level surface with the selector in neutral after cycling trough all gears.

What were the signs you had that your fluid needed to be changed at 45k?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:08 AM

I bought mine at 30k, at 40k I got to wondering if the fluid was changed per the recommendation and called the dealer that sold me it. They said that it was not done and that they'd check it. Once checked, they said that it was still okay, but change it out at 45k, which we did. I plan to do it every 45k miles.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:43 AM

Here it when 6th locks up.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:47 PM

Finally got a chance to check the fluid properly.

Its 3/4 of an inch over the highest mark on the stick.

The graph above proves that its suppose to be in lockup at highway speeds regardless of throttle. Our Outlander apparently hasn't seen that graph...

At least the transmission being overfilled hints to the fact that it was serviced in the past...

Old 07-03-2011, 05:33 PM

Update: This past week I got around to draining excess fluid out of the transmission, amounting to about a liter of fluid overfilled.

Things looked good as the first test drive the transmission shifted smoothly and went in to overdrive (and stayed in it) as log as it was possible for it to do so without lugging the engine (in other words it followed the TCM logic and shifted when appropriate).

Good thing I repeat all tests.

On the second drive involving more highway the transmission decided while on level grade -- doing 65 in 6th gear with the torque converter locked up, that it didn't feel like being in overdrive anymore...

*CLUNK-thud*

...and boom goes the dynamite, no more overdrive, that is until (5 minutes later) I accelerated hard to get on a freeway (wide open throttle) and once at speed it decided overdrive was great again and started functioning.

So... It's time for warranty, and I get the feeling, a new transmission, and hopefully a new TC because I cant imagine it's clutches are in great shape with the way the tranny has been abusing it.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:33 AM

No reputable shop would change out/rebuild an automatic trans and at least recommend a new torque converter, or include it with the service.

I don't know if it's been changed sisnce I wrenched on transmissions, but from what I remember, the converter does not have clutches. It has vanes that drive the fluid which in turn drive another set of vanes that drive the front pump.

Quick Reply: 2007 with confused torque converter lockup