Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2007 Mitsubishi Outlander GS w/ 89,000 miles, keep or trade in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 04:52 PM
Smile 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander GS w/ 89,000 miles, keep or trade in?

Hi guys,

New to the forum, but not new to the Mitsubishi Outlander. I bought my 2007 Outlander GS with 11,600 miles on it for $17,000. Now, 10 years later, it has 89,000 miles. Overall it's in pretty good shape. No major dings or body issues, engine and tranny seem strong. I don't have a hitch, so I've never towed anything with it, but I'd like to get one to tow some motorcycles.

The worst thing it has had to endure is Pennsylvania winters/snow/salt, as I don't have a garage for it. The worst I've had to repair is an ABS sensor one time and the front coil spring broke, as was warned by a recall notice I received AFTER it already happened!

I really like the space/power/towing capacity of it. I'd like to add a toe hitch, aftermarket remote start, and maybe a quality aftermarket sunroof, installed professionally by a reputable company.

I'm guessing if I tried to sell it now, I may be able to get $5000 for it.

But, the more I look at new/newer vehicles for $20-30K+, I'm starting to realize that this vehicle checks most of the boxes I care about....ample storage space, great power, drives relatively sporty (ignoring major torque steer), has selectable AWD, doesn't get too bad gas mileage, etc...

How has the long term reliability been? I've always had it serviced regularly. I have no reason to think that anything catastrophic will happen to the engine or tranny any time soon. The body appears fine, but the salt must have had an impact on the coil spring breaking, even though that was a known recall issue.

My thought is that instead of spending all the money on a new vehicle, that I could put a few thousand to spruce up my current ride and make me sort of fall in love with it again. It's my main family vehicle, I have a wife and 5 year old daughter. It has plenty of space for our annual trips to the beach and other vacations.

Thoughts? Anything I should watch out for as it is heading towards 100,000 miles? I just had the major 80,000 mile service done last year. I put roughly 9000 miles on it a year, as I live very close to my job and usually ride my motorcycle during the spring and summer.

Thanks for any help!

Joe

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander GS w/ 89,000 miles, keep or trade in?-dscn3774.jpg  
Old 03-18-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Outlander_Joe
Hi guys,

New to the forum, but not new to the Mitsubishi Outlander. I bought my 2007 Outlander GS with 11,600 miles on it for $17,000. Now, 10 years later, it has 89,000 miles. Overall it's in pretty good shape. No major dings or body issues, engine and tranny seem strong. I don't have a hitch, so I've never towed anything with it, but I'd like to get one to tow some motorcycles.

The worst thing it has had to endure is Pennsylvania winters/snow/salt, as I don't have a garage for it. The worst I've had to repair is an ABS sensor one time and the front coil spring broke, as was warned by a recall notice I received AFTER it already happened!

I really like the space/power/towing capacity of it. I'd like to add a toe hitch, aftermarket remote start, and maybe a quality aftermarket sunroof, installed professionally by a reputable company.

But, the more I look at new/newer vehicles for $20-30K+, I'm starting to realize that this vehicle checks most of the boxes I care about....ample storage space, great power, drives relatively sporty (ignoring major torque steer), has selectable AWD, doesn't get too bad gas mileage, etc...

How has the long term reliability been? I've always had it serviced regularly. I have no reason to think that anything catastrophic will happen to the engine or tranny any time soon. The body appears fine, but the salt must have had an impact on the coil spring breaking, even though that was a known recall issue.

My thought is that instead of spending all the money on a new vehicle, that I could put a few thousand to spruce up my current ride and make me sort of fall in love with it again. It's my main family vehicle, I have a wife and 5 year old daughter. It has plenty of space for our annual trips to the beach and other vacations.

Thoughts? Anything I should watch out for as it is heading towards 100,000 miles? I just had the major 80,000 mile service done last year. I put roughly 9000 miles on it a year, as I live very close to my job and usually ride my motorcycle during the spring and summer.

Thanks for any help!

Joe

Looks and sounds like a keeper to me...maybe some rustproofing. you don't drive it much and you seem like you are keeping up on your scheduled maintenance. I would think you can get at least 5 more years out of it.,,,..Best of Luck

Old 03-19-2017, 02:50 AM
Default Keep on trucking

Originally Posted by Outlander_Joe
Hi guys,

Thanks for any help!

Joe
No reason to trade a good work horse, spend some money on anything you might want to add it will still be cheaper than buying a whole new vehicle adding more debt and full insurance coverage. Adding a few aftermarket items will make you fall in love with your truck all over again. Ride that Outlander till 300k +, take some vacations and enjoy life

Old 03-22-2017, 11:43 AM

Keep it. At 89k miles, that's a toddler still.

I've just done maintenance, which gets a bit painful every 100k miles (timing belt and spark plugs)...regardless if you do it yourself or have someone else do it. As long as fluids are changed regularly as they should, very dependable.