Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2007 Outlander- Factory Warranty Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Unhappy 2007 Outlander- Factory Warranty Repairs

I purchased a 2007 Outlander ES, 2WD with 42,000 miles about 2 weeks ago. Needed something to haul 3 kids around, but didn't want anything huge because my wife already has a Highlander. Anyway, the Outlander does the trick except I hate the mpg for my 30 mile highway commute each day.

So far, the experience hasn't been so great as I found a lot of things wrong with this one owner vehicle. After surfing this board, I found out that every problem I found wrong with the truck someone else is or has experienced. Right now, the car is at the dealership for the following, in order of aggravation.

1. Throttle lag- stopping and starting is horrendous. The thing either doesn't want to go anywhere, or wants to jump out of its skin. Going thru Ez Pass on the turnpike is no picnic.

2. Clunking over bumps- This big SUV should not be clunking when going over speed bumps at my kids school.

3. Wind noise from driver side mirror- Over 60mph sounds like a hairdryer has turned on from the drivers side

4. Radio goes in and out- Absolutely the worst radio experience ever. The local FM stations fade in and out, and the volume goes up and down.

5. Interior lighting doesn't all work- probably some bulbs, but while its at the dealer, they can figure it out as rear lights and only one light up front does not turn on.

Anyway, the dealer confirmed all these problems with my truck today and is fixing all under the factory warranty. I hope they do a nice job, because I had high expectations for this thing!!!! The mpg is going to hurt, but then again, I didn't buy a Honda Civic. Other than all of this stuff, it is a very practical vehicle and looks sharp! Wish me luck

Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 PM

It sounds very suspicious that the previous owner didn't get those problems fixed. I personally wouldn't have bought the car if I was in your shoes and looked for one where the owner actually looked after it/took it in for servicing. Did they change the oil frequently enough? You could have loads of other problems if it wasn't well taken care of. Could also explain the gas mileage issue (although you haven't indicated how much fuel its using).
Overall, not many problems for a complete redesign of the car...I would say 2009 model year is when they fixed most problems.

Last edited by ivanz; 02-08-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:18 AM
ndj

Originally Posted by ivanz
It sounds very suspicious that the previous owner didn't get those problems fixed. I personally wouldn't have bought the car if I was in your shoes and looked for one where the owner actually looked after it/took it in for servicing. Did they change the oil frequently enough? You could have loads of other problems if it wasn't well taken care of. Could also explain the gas mileage issue (although you haven't indicated how much fuel its using).
Overall, not many problems for a complete redesign of the car...I would say 2009 model year is when they fixed most problems.
One of my businesses is used car retail and if it makes the OP feel any better the vast majority of owners are not **** about minor problems with their cars. It's typically only forum members who are obsessive (like me ). Life's too short and most folk are too busy to care.

If it's been serviced to the manufacturers recommendations and you have the stamps in the service book I wouldn't sweat it.

Every car has faults.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 AM

I'm really not sweating it. When I first bought the car, I surfed these forums to see if anyone else was experiencing the same issues. The fact that they were, and that Mitsu was fixing everything under warranty gave me piece of mind. The dealership is taking care of ALL these problems and being super great about it. My Carfax shows the vehicle was previously serviced..oil changes, etc.
So, I'm thinking this car will be good to go when I get it back. Got it for a great price with 4 new tires and new inspection from a reputable dealer, so I think this will be fine. By the way, I'm getting around 21 to 22 mpg average between city and highway. I guess that is decent for this vehicle.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:38 AM
ndj

Sounds like you're in good shape. These are good cars and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

Sorry, can't comment on your gas mileage as mine's a diesel so I get high 30's mpg (imperial) in mixed driving.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 AM

21-22 is about what my wife gets in mixed highway/city driving. We can get up to almost 25 on the highway at 70-75mph.

What new tires are on there? I've noticed that going from the OEM Yokohama (sp?) Geolanders to our Bridgestone Duelers, the mileage went down due to tire weight.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:07 PM

i believe the tires are kumho, but I will double check. The dealership told me it was an Asian tire

Old 02-09-2011, 02:37 PM

I really need to know what they say is wrong with the Rockford Fosgate system/ radio. I have an 07 xls that does the same thing, but the rear speakers cut out as well. Now the radio display is barely visible. I haven't been able to get the dealership to admit there is a problem.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Camrykiller
I purchased a 2007 Outlander ES, 2WD with 42,000 miles about 2 weeks ago. Needed something to haul 3 kids around, but didn't want anything huge because my wife already has a Highlander. Anyway, the Outlander does the trick except I hate the mpg for my 30 mile highway commute each day.

So far, the experience hasn't been so great as I found a lot of things wrong with this one owner vehicle. After surfing this board, I found out that every problem I found wrong with the truck someone else is or has experienced. Right now, the car is at the dealership for the following, in order of aggravation.

1. Throttle lag- stopping and starting is horrendous. The thing either doesn't want to go anywhere, or wants to jump out of its skin. Going thru Ez Pass on the turnpike is no picnic.

2. Clunking over bumps- This big SUV should not be clunking when going over speed bumps at my kids school.

3. Wind noise from driver side mirror- Over 60mph sounds like a hairdryer has turned on from the drivers side

4. Radio goes in and out- Absolutely the worst radio experience ever. The local FM stations fade in and out, and the volume goes up and down.

5. Interior lighting doesn't all work- probably some bulbs, but while its at the dealer, they can figure it out as rear lights and only one light up front does not turn on.

Anyway, the dealer confirmed all these problems with my truck today and is fixing all under the factory warranty. I hope they do a nice job, because I had high expectations for this thing!!!! The mpg is going to hurt, but then again, I didn't buy a Honda Civic. Other than all of this stuff, it is a very practical vehicle and looks sharp! Wish me luck
with the exception of #5, everything else sounds like user error and high expectations...

Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by klas
with the exception of #5, everything else sounds like user error and high expectations...
i disagree, i definetly feel throttle lag and the radio going in and out. the radio doesnt bother me but the throttle lag does. i will get that checked out now that he mentioned he is getting it also. Someone mentioned to me in a different thread that because its a 6 speed tranny the lag comes because its looking for the correct gear. i find that hard to believe cuz it happens when i am coasting also. the wind noise comes from the design of the mirrors there really not much to do about that, except get a window rain gaurd it helps a little, it did on mine. the clunk noise could be isolated but still he should get that checked.

Quick Reply: 2007 Outlander- Factory Warranty Repairs