Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2007 Outlander Starting issue, Starts and cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 01:42 AM
Unhappy 2007 Outlander Starting issue, Starts and cuts out

Hi there,
Recently joined member, looking for some help.
I have a 2007 2.0 Diesel Outlander with approx 400,000km. I'm having trouble with trying to start / drive the jeep. I have searched the forum but haven't seen an issue similar to mine.

Last week the red battery symbol came on in the dash and a large orange battery symbol came on in the digital screen with notice of inspection required.
I replaced the battery last week however the lights stayed on. The alternator appears to also be charging with the 14.5 volts when running. I was having no issues starting the jeep at this stage.

Yesterday when I went into the shops after a short 10 minute drive I returned to find the jeep would not start. It was as if the battery was dead. Internal lights came on in the jeep and the dash lights flashed but the starter wouldn't turn over.

Later that day I got a jump start and the car finally started after charging for 10 minutes. I took off the jump leads and checked the battery voltage and it was reading 14.5 volts. When I went to drive off the car died and wouldn't start again even after putting the jump leads on . The starter turns but it wont start.

I had the key battery replaced but this didn't help the issue. also the battery is 12.8 volts when not charging so that appears to be ok.

Any one any ideas? Any help on the issue would be greatly appreciated. If I get the issue sorted I will let you know what the outcome was.

Last edited by 2020vision; 01-29-2020 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-31-2020, 03:22 PM

Here is an update on this...
I went to the jeep the following day and plugged in the code reader. the following code came up : P0500 $07E8 Vehicle Speed Sensor A. no other codes are displayed.
I changed the front passenger side shock last weekend and I may have damaged the front ABS sensor while putting it in. I might get another sensor and have it fitted.

I then Retried the jeep and it started up fine! and has driven fine since and I have driven it in and out of work for the past few days without any issue. So dont really know whats up with it at this stage.

the Battery warning light is still constantly on in the dash.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:11 PM

If your battery light is on I would still be concerned. I would start by checking the connections at the battery and the other end of the cables where they attach and looking for loose connection and or corrosion.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:46 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Broncoman75
If your battery light is on I would still be concerned. I would start by checking the connections at the battery and the other end of the cables where they attach and looking for loose connection and or corrosion.
Thanks for the reply, the warning light is still on the jeep intermittently but it seems to be working ok. I will check battery connections and connections around the alternator and earths etc. must recheck for fault codes also..

Will keep you posted