Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2008 6spd Manual Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Default 2008 6spd Manual Advice Please

Hi all, Just bought my very first 4WD its the 2008 2.0 VW engine DI-D Equippe 6spd manual with 66k miles and i'm looking for a little advice. First off, at what intervals do i need to change the diffs, transfer box and gearbox oils, and what type of oils do you guy's use in the UK

Thanks

Old 03-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Banned

60k, and only use Mitsubishi fluids.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:35 PM

Is it an easy job for the DIY mechanic and would rolling the car onto wooden blocks be high enough to do the job. Also what quantity of fluid is required for each.

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Banned

Since we don't have that vehicle here in the US (even though I know what your talking about having lived in the UK most of my life), you'd have to call your dealership to find out the fluid capacity. Just call your service department, they'll tell you no problem.

This is something I would never pay a grease monkey to do. Buy a funnel with a bendy straw attachment, stick your face in the engine bay locating the drain and fill plugs while making sure you have the tools to get them off. Here's how it's done:

1) Take it for a drive to warm up the fluid (since I know how fking hideous the weather is out there). You probably don't even need to get the car on blocks, but if you do it may help.

2) Remove the fill plug FIRST. What happens if you drain it but you can't get the fill plug off? You'd be in a spot, aye? lol. Then remove your drain and allow to drain into a catch. Try to drain and fill on level ground if you can, it's just good practice to do so. The drain plug will be located on the bottom-most part of the transmission, and the fill is probably up about half way, possibly even accessible from the top (in fact, it should be).

3) Slide in the end of your bendy straw funnel, pour in your fluid, and keep filling until it spills out.

4) Replace your fill plug (check your drain/fill washers. If they're buggered, replace them)

Same thing with your diff too. Keep in mind your transfer box may have a completely separate fill/drain, so eyes open! Also be sure to ask your dealer what the fluid requirements are for those items as well, as they may be different.

Last edited by Sebba; 03-06-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:36 PM

you have a bit different setup than most on this forum. Most of us are north american, so no diesel and no manual gearboxes. Your owner's manual should state what fluids should be used.

For my vehicle, the front diff is part of the automatic transmission...so no need to worry about that. The transfer case wanted straight 90 weight gear lube. The rear diff wanted straight 80 weight gear lube. Or vice versa. I've looked everywhere around me and no one carries straight gear lubes. So I threw in some synthetic 75w90 in both. 70k miles, no issues so far. I did stick my finger in the rear diff earlier this year when replacing a seal and the fluid looked good. Between the two pieces, I used just over a quart of fluid.

Usually manual transmissions are just a drain & fill. Make sure you open up the fill hole before you remove the drain!

Old 03-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Banned

Agreed.

I would do my best to use the Mitsubishi fluids if I were you. That way they can't bitch about something going wrong.

ccernst, they use liters over there

Old 03-06-2014, 03:28 PM

I was hoping they use same sized jugs though... I got a headache and a little burnt out at work!

Old 03-07-2014, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the reply's guy's, yep all logical stuff, been looking on ebay uk and found Brit Oil 75w90 manual gearbox oil 5 litres for £17 not sure about the brand tough probs not as good as mits stuff. I'll be visiting my local mits dealer tomorrow.

Thanks.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Banned

I specified Mitsubishi fluids for a reason...

Old 03-08-2014, 06:11 AM

Nice one, i'll be using mits fluids for sure, just one more question i'm not entirely sure of, has my model got a front diff.

cheers again.

Quick Reply: 2008 6spd Manual Advice Please