Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2008 V6 Outlander serviced - But what happened to the engine rumble??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:51 AM
Default 2008 V6 Outlander serviced - But what happened to the engine rumble??

Hi,

I recently had my 2008 V6 Outlander serviced.It has done 95,000km

- Replace Air Filter
- Replace Spark Plugs < expensive
- Replace Cam Belt

Prior to the service, every time I accelerated and took my foot off the accelerator, it would have this very cool rumble as the engine spooled down.Reasonably loud.

But after the service this same rumble is not very loud.

I went back to the service agent and told him that everything is going good.But.The engine does not produce the same rumble.And I'd like the same rumble back.He looks at me like... 'what the'?.Calls his colleague over and saiz 'listen to this'.

I repeat the same: I miss the rumble.

So he turns to his colleague and saiz: Shall we put the old spark plugs back in?.He replys...umm...no,it was a mission.

So my question is: Would new spark plugs soften the sound of the V6 rumble?.Or could it be the change of air filter?,or could it be the new cambelt?.

They are adamant that nothing else was altered, as the engine management system is 'fixed'.Although, he did say that on the diagnostics he reset a couple of fault codes.What ever that means?.

I miss my rumble

Old 11-04-2014, 12:18 PM

the only thing that would affect the noise of the engine based on what was done, could have been the air filter...though I don't think that would have been a substantial enough difference.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tribute
So he turns to his colleague and saiz: Shall we put the old spark plugs back in?.He replys...umm...no,it was a mission.
Could you have misunderstood "mission" for what was actually "missing"? That would make more sense; one of the spark plugs fouled out causing what is commonly called a "miss". That would create excessive noise.

I would drive it a bit and see if your gas mileage increases from what it was before servicing.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:11 PM

I think I know the noise you are referring to. It occurs when the engine is decelerating with the torque converter locked. If the converter is unlocked while you are descending a hill and you touch the brakes causing a transmission downshift and the converter to lock the noise occurs.

If that is the noise it might need the transmission to relearn your driving style.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
the only thing that would affect the noise of the engine based on what was done, could have been the air filter...though I don't think that would have been a substantial enough difference.
Yes,I thought that it could be air filter related.What ever that reason might be.....Perhaps the old one being dirty created less air flow and induced greater rumble?.

I might go and see if they still have the old one,put it back in, and go for another drive.That way I'll know for sure.Thanks.

Originally Posted by quadcam
I think I know the noise you are referring to. It occurs when the engine is decelerating with the torque converter locked. If the converter is unlocked while you are descending a hill and you touch the brakes causing a transmission downshift and the converter to lock the noise occurs.

If that is the noise it might need the transmission to relearn your driving style.
I'm not sure that it's transmission related as nothing has changed in this regard.The noise I'm referring to is when you accelerate and suddenly take your foot off the accelerator.It's a definitive rumble through the exhaust.(it lasts about 3 seconds)Or was.Until I had the service done...

Last edited by Tribute; 11-05-2014 at 03:41 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:40 AM

What is the engine speed when you lift the accelerator?

Old 11-06-2014, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by quadcam
What is the engine speed when you lift the accelerator?
I used to get it at low speed under 30kph,but now to achieve the same noise I have to take it up to 60-80kph.And not as loud as before.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:50 PM

Downshift manually and see if you can get the sound? Maybe they disconnected the battery and its not as quick to downshift as it was before while it "re-learns."

Old 11-10-2014, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ckmecha
Could you have misunderstood "mission" for what was actually "missing"? That would make more sense; one of the spark plugs fouled out causing what is commonly called a "miss". That would create excessive noise.

I would drive it a bit and see if your gas mileage increases from what it was before servicing.
Or how about "e-mission", as long as we're guessing. The sound you're describing seems exhaust-related. Did they do something under warranty to the cat or the exhaust and just not charge you for it?

I don't know what the hell "it was a mission" would mean in this context otherwise.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:13 AM

Update:

Today I went back to the Service Agent.I mentioned that I went online and that the Outlander owners were confident that it was Air Filter related.

I asked if they would mind taking a look.They said no problem.So I popped the bonnet and we found that the housing around the air filter was not fitting properly.It took several minutes for the mechanic to fit it correctly.

The clips were holding the housing on, but there was an air gap between the filter and the housing.

Once fitted correctly,I took it for another spin and thankfully the engine rumble returned.So I called back,and told the mechanic that when fitted correctly it must create a vacuum and back pressure through the exhaust?.

Thanks to ccernst for your feedback.And thanks to the other respondents.It proves that crowd-sourcing does work.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: 2008 V6 Outlander serviced - But what happened to the engine rumble??