Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2009 Mitsubishi Outlander Leaking Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Default 2009 Mitsubishi Outlander Leaking Coolant?

Hello Everyone,

Well, today its snowing big time in NJ, anyway, thanks to snow I have noticed that my Outlander leaves little drops of the yellow/greenish fluid (I am more than sure its coolant liquid) on the snow, the amount seems to be minimal but I do not think it is normal. So far the coolant level seems to be normal and engine does not overheat nor do I get any warning messages or check engine lights. Has anyone experienced something similar? I remember few months ago, someone on this thread had an issue with Outlander slowly losing coolant. I guess the car is under warranty so I'll take it to the dealer. Any help/input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:27 AM

I have an 08 ES and have never had any fluid leaks. I always park in the same spot in my carport, so if I had any leaks I would notice them. Take it to the dealer.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by azjake
I have an 08 ES and have never had any fluid leaks. I always park in the same spot in my carport, so if I had any leaks I would notice them. Take it to the dealer.
Thanks for the reply. Problem is that if it weren't for snow, I probably would have not noticed it, it looks like little drop but on the snow it is visible due to different color, on regular pavement I don't think I would have noticed it :s

Old 02-11-2010, 02:41 PM

If you are really concerned about it then take it in.

But for a few drops I personally would take note of it and have the shop/dealership look at it during the next service. Just make sure the fluid levels are ok. Also check that there isn't a stream of coolant coming out before you drive it.

Don't tell them it is a coolant system issue. Tell them you found yellow drops of fluid in the snow and the approximate location (front left, right??). Because if you describe the problem the first way they'll just look at the coolant system - decide it's ok and send you on your way without finding the problem.

On my '09 I've noticed the washer fluid reservoir cap pops open on its own under the hood when it gets cold outside. I'm assuming it is different plastics expanding and contracting.

You might find this link interesting:
http://www.thecarguy.com/articles/fluids.htm

Old 02-12-2010, 11:16 AM

That's the advantage of parking in the same place in the carport. Fluids such as coolant, oil, etc don't evaporate that quickly so if there was a ongoing leak I would notice it over time.

The only fluid you should see under the vehicle is water (humidity) that's been removed by the A/C system and just by putting a small amount on your finger and smelling it you can easily tell if its water or some other fluid.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
Hello Everyone,

Well, today its snowing big time in NJ, anyway, thanks to snow I have noticed that my Outlander leaves little drops of the yellow/greenish fluid (I am more than sure its coolant liquid) on the snow, the amount seems to be minimal but I do not think it is normal. So far the coolant level seems to be normal and engine does not overheat nor do I get any warning messages or check engine lights. Has anyone experienced something similar? I remember few months ago, someone on this thread had an issue with Outlander slowly losing coolant. I guess the car is under warranty so I'll take it to the dealer. Any help/input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hey man,

I had some issues with my rad cap, but after that got straightened out, I haven't had a problem with any leaking from the system.
Check it for the next few days and if it continues, take it in. Is it anywhere in the engine bay?

Old 02-12-2010, 02:41 PM

Try to smell the drops, coolant usually has an easy to recognize smell.

Also climb under your Outlander, it has pretty good clearance, you won't need any ramps. And look with a flashlight at what may be dripping.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:56 PM

Well, today in the morning I went to my local dealership and apparently it wasn't the coolant that was leaking but my transfercase:s Minimal amounts but nevertheless it shouldn't be happening. But I didn't know that the transmission fluid is yellowish/green (I thought its more like red). So they put some sealant around the gasket and we will see. But anyway, I'll continue to observe for leaks. Question about checking the transmission fluid level, I understand that there is a similar dip stick like there is for checking oil level. I checked the engine compartment and I found a white top named ATF but it is kind of stuck and I don't want to pull it on too hard not knowing if I am doing it correctly, how do I remove it? Do I just pull it up like with oil dip stick or do I have to twist it? Thanks.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:01 PM

Refer to your owner's manual on how to check the ATF. There are a couple of steps you have to go through to check it properly. The instructions should be located in the "Vehicle care and maintenance" section of the owners manual.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 AM

Ahhhhhh, just for those interested, I figured out what was wrong with my Outlander (nothing). As my dealership supposedly found and fixed that my transfercase was leaking, which I had doubts about it as transmission fluid is NOT neon green/yellow color. When the snow melted there were no drips found under my Outlander, then another big snow storm hit and the little yellow/green neon drips continued. So I went under the car and I didn't notice any leakage, then I googled it and apparently in my area they started using new salt mixed with sugar solutions to melt away the snow :s Apparently when the heat from the exaust (which is located in the middle) that has little snow residue (mixed with salt/sugar) left over gets on clean snow it will leave little neon/green spots (dripping water mixed with salt/sugar).And this would make sense because as I mentioned earlier, when there is no snow on the ground, I don't see any leakage on the pavement and all the fluid levels seem to be normal. This thing has been driving me nuts for the past few weeks but seems I finally figured it out.

Quick Reply: 2009 Mitsubishi Outlander Leaking Coolant?