Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2010 GT HID headlights question, what's the inner bulb for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Default 2010 GT HID headlights question, what's the inner bulb for?

Quick question - what are the lights on the inner side of the headlights are for? I thought they're DRL's but they're both off when the car is running with the switch in either "off" or "Auto" modes.. When I flick the high-beams the HID come on and the shutter opens. In other words I've never seen them on. Are the bulbs burnt out?

Old 06-02-2014, 08:45 PM

They are cornering lights. I took the fuses out so they wouldn't work as I think they are a gimmick.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by quadcam
They are cornering lights. I took the fuses out so they wouldn't work as I think they are a gimmick.
Hmm sure about that? Pretty sure never seen them come on at night during turns. I have a BMW 3 series that has same exact setup and the cornering lights are very visible during turns.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:28 PM

On some markets that's the AFS - cornering light system.

Here in North America we have DRLs planted over there.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:50 PM

Oh well the things you learn. I went and looked at mine before replying and the internal shrouds look the same (they angle the beam wide) so I assumed it was the same cornering light as mine.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by quadcam
I actually find mine (AFS) quite useful, though they could do with the ability to slightly tweak the threshhold.
Context though; mainly in semi-dark suburbia, where the "kids" don't give a s#&t about whether they walk straight out in front of a car or not

Last edited by RoGuE_StreaK; 06-03-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by RoGuE_StreaK
I actually find mine (AFS) quite useful, though they could do with the ability to slightly tweak the threshhold.
I made mine to be always on - though I put 35W halogens (stock AFS are 55W). Anyway, no one complains for blinding so far.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:51 PM

So do you have the AFS or DRL setup?? If DRL, does the beam project down and out like the AFS?

One setup you could run, which I've been reading about elsewhere (candlepowerforums), is running the 55W at lower voltage for the DRL, then you could have switching to standard voltage for stock duty. 55W sounds stock for a high-beam purpose, so doesn't make sense as a DRL setup unless it was already running at low power, which is the method many North-American setups use to cheaply comply with DRL requirements

Last edited by RoGuE_StreaK; 06-03-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:24 PM

I have stock DRLs. The reflector is same on AFS and DRL, aimed low and out.

The difference is bulb, 1156 type on DRLs vs H11 halogen on AFS.

I used to have lensed CREE LEDs installed over there, but they were making way too high lighting (ignoring reflector because of lens).

High beams never were 55W on any car I know, it is always 60W for high beams and 55W for low beams.

Stock DRLs on 2010-2012 Outlanders here are either 1156 bulb in middle segment (with HID headlights) or reduced power (PWM) low beams on halogen headlights.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:05 AM

What about the OP having a look inside the under bonnet fuse box. Mine has fuses 18 & 19 for the cornering lights (which I removed to disable them) but is missing Relay J which is marked as DRL. If his has the DRL relay then you would think they are DRL's.

Quick Reply: 2010 GT HID headlights question, what's the inner bulb for?