Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2010 Outlander ES: add USB terminal [stock audio]

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Default 2010 Outlander ES: add USB terminal [stock audio]

Hello!

I have a 2010 Outlander ES and I'm trying to add the USB terminal to my stock audio system. I don't need FUSE, Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, nothing fancy. Just the USB terminal to my stock audio system. When I went in for my free oil change (didn't particularly need it, but it was gonna expire in a few days), they said it wouldn't be possible. However, this is a small-town Mitsubishi dealership and forgive me for doubting their word, but I'm near positive the SE and XLS trims came with a USB terminal using the stock audio: I just don't know where to begin.

I've emailed the larger dealership to see what they think, but this should be possible, right?

I have the stock audio, single-disc. No FUSE and my steering wheel only has controls for cruise (though, when I bought it, they said it was "pre-wired" for Bluetooth and just needed the buttons). I seem so close, yet so far away.

Thanks,

~Ibrahim~

Old 12-20-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by ikjadoon
Hello!

I have a 2010 Outlander ES and I'm trying to add the USB terminal to my stock audio system. I don't need FUSE, Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, nothing fancy. Just the USB terminal to my stock audio system. When I went in for my free oil change (didn't particularly need it, but it was gonna expire in a few days), they said it wouldn't be possible. However, this is a small-town Mitsubishi dealership and forgive me for doubting their word, but I'm near positive the SE and XLS trims came with a USB terminal using the stock audio: I just don't know where to begin.

I've emailed the larger dealership to see what they think, but this should be possible, right?

I have the stock audio, single-disc. No FUSE and my steering wheel only has controls for cruise (though, when I bought it, they said it was "pre-wired" for Bluetooth and just needed the buttons). I seem so close, yet so far away.

Thanks,

~Ibrahim~
USB input is the part of Bluetooth module. No BT means no USB. Just add BT with USB harness.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:30 AM

in my canadian xls 2010, i have rca input
if i want usb input, can I change it ?
HOW ?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by elerico
in my canadian xls 2010, i have rca input
if i want usb input, can I change it ?
HOW ?
Same story here. Our BT units are not FUSE ones, so neither USB nor BT music streaming...

I wonder if we can retrofit BT unit from US-sold Outlanders, or from 2011 RVRs.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:22 PM

Oh, so I do need BT.

Maybe I'll just ask the dealership if they can add FUSE, with BT + steering wheel controls + USB. The BT part sounds a little useful.

Ugh, you can't get it on Canadian Outlanders?! That's ridiculous...why? If you want, I can be there when they put it in and write down part numbers or something, if you need?

~Ibrahim~

Old 12-20-2010, 01:25 PM

Oh, so I do need BT.

Maybe I'll just ask the dealership if they can add FUSE, with BT + steering wheel controls + USB. The BT part sounds a little useful.

Ugh, you can't get it on Canadian Outlanders?! That's ridiculous...why? If you want, I can be there when they put it in and write down part numbers or something, if you need?

~Ibrahim~
Here in Canada we also cannot get power folding mirrors, power folding 2nd row seats, ECO light on dashboard, headlight washers and auto-levelling etc...

Old 12-20-2010, 01:32 PM

Holy crap, that's outrageous! Of course, my ES model doesn't have any of those either, lol, but with your XLS, hmph.

Well, interestingly, I don't think we could much of those in the States, either, now that I think about. On my dad's 08 XLS and my sister's 08 ES, I had never heard of power folding mirrors, power folding 2nd-row seats, the ECO light, headlight washers (!), but I think we do get auto-leveling headlights. Like the ones that "turn" with the car?

I've emailed the larger dealership now; we'll see how many pennies this will cost.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:38 PM

Holy crap, that's outrageous! Of course, my ES model doesn't have any of those either, lol, but with your XLS, hmph.

Well, interestingly, I don't think we could much of those in the States, either, now that I think about. On my dad's 08 XLS and my sister's 08 ES, I had never heard of power folding mirrors, power folding 2nd-row seats, the ECO light, headlight washers (!), but I think we do get auto-leveling headlights. Like the ones that "turn" with the car?

I've emailed the larger dealership now; we'll see how many pennies this will cost.
Headlight washers and auto-levelling are mandatory in Europe if HID lights are installed. I don't care about auto levelling, but I definitely like the idea of headlight washers, as we have huge amount of salt on the roads during winter time, our headlights turn to non-transparent after only couple of hours of highway driving.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Well, I got a reply from the larger dealership. He told me first that the ES stock audio couldn't take the USB;I asked why and I got this response:

I called Mitsubishi to get some information on this. They were not able to tell me what audio unit you can install that would make it all work together. They said the ES is not equipped to handle the USB cable.

Hmm..so maybe it just doesn't work. Does anyone know how to take the stereo out? Just to see what my options are. Or should I go to the dealer? Hmmm, I'll ask him.

Tell me about it! I drove three hours on the salted highways last night. My car went from Rally Red to Rally Rose. I saw a picture of those headlight washers on a VW GTI; looked cool. I don't know why they can't just offer the same car worldwide. Probably be cheaper.

Last edited by ikjadoon; 12-21-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:09 PM

A European Outlander (UK) starts at $33,325 for the base model. It tops out at $45,156...compared to starting at ~$21,000 in the US. Without taxes of course. So there is why you don't get those features.
As for FUSE in Canada, it was available starting in the 2011 model year.

Quick Reply: 2010 Outlander ES: add USB terminal [stock audio]