Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2010 Outlander USB/ipod issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Default 2010 Outlander USB/ipod issues

I posted this elsewhere, but hope I get more replies with a new thread...

I just purchased the 2010 SE Outlander with the Rockford Fosgate system (part of the "sun and sound" option). The car is NOT equipped with the navigation system.
Only had the car for a few days, and love it so far, but I have several questions:

1) When I plug my ipod classic (relatively new, 60 gig) into the USB plug, all I get is "ipod load" on the screen, and I cannot access my files at all ("ipod load" does not disappear and none of the controls work). The dealership couldn't explain this because this is the 1st car they have sold with this particular system. They're "looking into it" but maybe someone out there has an answer. My guess is that I have formatted my music and playlists in a way that the system does not recognize...? I should also add the following:
The Ipod recognizes that it is plugged into the car because a dialog screen at the top of the ipod says something like "remote connection detected" and the ipods controls don't work.
I can get the Ipod to work on the RCA cables, but then it's not charging, and you can't control the ipod using the car's controls...

2) is there a NON-ipod MP3 player that works particularly well for anyone out there, or would most Mitsu owners recommend the mac product (and why?). I ask because my wife and I are going to purchase a music player specifically for the car, so I just need music storage.

3) has anyone used an itouch with bluetooth for navigation purposes? Of course, this would be an itouch with the GPS software installed. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:18 AM
Default Hello

I like to answer your question but I have an 07 XLS. My guess is the usb is for flash memory devices - thumb drive disc and it's not compatible with your ipod player. So maybe try a flash drive with mp3 on it and see if that works.
I have a phone that I use for both gps & music and it's ok. I rather have the stock navi where I can also use the RF system, Sirius, and perhaps put custom GPS software on it. Since the gps software isn't very up-to-date.
Also b/c aftermarket navi you lose the use of RF system or at least it doesn't sound any good.

Good luck on finding a solution to your ipod probl. Does the manual says the usb connection is compatible with ipod?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:29 AM

You just need to wait a few minutes while "IPod Load" is on the screen. Mine usually takes a minute or two. I believe the system is loading all of the song information at this time (Albums, Artists, etc.)

Just wait it out to see if it comes up. After it is loaded, the screen will display "i" instead of "Ipod load".

After that you can use the voice system to play Artists, Albums, etc.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to play songs directly.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:47 PM

Thanks, guys...

Vastelectron, the system I have is pictured in Car and Driver, and it is supposed to support ipods (check out http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...aptor_photo_17)

ChicagoDave, I'll go down and check it out right now...But how long is too long to wait; will it take that long every time I plug it it; and do you think a smaller ipod (with less music) will take less time to load?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:15 PM

ChicagoDave...just waited 12 minutes. Still loading. If this is what it's going to take, what's the point? I think I have an issue, because it still just said "ipod load" the entire time, and the voice commands didn't work.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:59 PM

Try formatting the iPod, upgrade to latest firmware, etc. Try another iPod from a neighbour just to see if it works. Your dealer should diagnose the problem...it sounds like you should go to another one for service.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:42 AM

12 Minutes seems to long. I have the 5th Gen 30GB IPod Video. I currently sync about 5GB of music to it and for me it takes about a minute to sync in the car.

In your manual for the car it lists the firmware versions that are required for the IPod, make sure you have the correct version.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Default 2010 Outlander USB/ipod issues

MassMitsu,

I also encountered the same problem with my Ipod loading in my 2010 outlander. However, it worked properly for about 2 weeks before I had any issues with it. I have a 2007 Ipod classic 30Gb. I had a similar issue with my wifes Ipod touch, but then it loaded randomly. So I dont think it is my Ipod or the cabling. I have waited for over 15 minutes with no success.

If you got some resolution, please post it here. I will try the Rockford Fosgate people.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:11 PM

Thanks Pilks...I have not yet gotten it to work, and the dealership is still "working" on the problem. I have tried all the suggestions on this forum, removed and replaced the fuse with the car running (presumably to reset the radio system), and left the ipod plugged in for extended periods (hoping it would "load"). My thought now is to significantly pare down the number of songs and playlists...several people I have spoken with seem to think that the playlists might be the issue (because they take a long time for the system to "map").
I'm wondering if the # of playlists might somehow play into your issue? I'll post whatever resolution I eventuallly find.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Default solved...

...So it appears that the problem was too many playlists. I pared down what was on my brother's iphone, and it loaded after 10 seconds... evidently you need to have a simple set of playlists. Kind of a pain, but good to know it was operator error, and not a car issue.

Quick Reply: 2010 Outlander USB/ipod issues