Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2010 Outlander XLS AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Default 2010 Outlander XLS AWD

I have 3500 miles on 2010 Outlander XLS AWD...No significant difference in mpg in FWD vs. auto AWD, although handling better in AWD.

Shouldn't I expect better mpg in FWD on the h'way?

Is there a site which explains how aut AWD actually works?

THX

Old 03-14-2011, 11:28 AM

what is your actual mpg?

Old 03-14-2011, 01:28 PM

auto AWD is still only FWD, it only kicks into AWD when the wheels slip and or cant grip. Wont see a diff in MPG unless your driving in 4wd lock.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by ryandlor
auto AWD is still only FWD, it only kicks into AWD when the wheels slip and or cant grip. Wont see a diff in MPG unless your driving in 4wd lock.
That's not true, it will send at least 20-30% of torque to the rear when in 4WD. The AWD system sends more torque to the rear if it senses slipping or you floor it, but it never gets below the above percentage unless in 2WD mode.

Here is a page that explains the system that has the 2WD option: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_AWC#Outlander

Old 03-15-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by ivanz
That's not true, it will send at least 20-30% of torque to the rear when in 4WD. The AWD system sends more torque to the rear if it senses slipping or you floor it, but it never gets below the above percentage unless in 2WD mode.

Here is a page that explains the system that has the 2WD option: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_AWC#Outlander
cool, I stand corrected. I thought the 4wd auto was a "kick in" when needed like most other AWD cars and SUVs. Im Glad to hear it is sending some power tothe rear at all times.!!

I drive a Mazda cx7 as my other car, and its AWD is a response system...so always 100% FWD, until it neeeds it....not the greatest.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:21 AM

When I test drove the Outtie, there was significant difference even in dry and warm parking garages between the fwd and auto-awd. Not to mention outside with all the ice and snow. What was rather interesting, was that the difference between auto-awd and locked-awd was minimal in normal(-ish) winter conditions and the locked-awd felt different in bit more extreme conditions. Ie. the test-drive car was struggling with auto-awd in 2' snow when the locked-awd plowed through with just little manouvering.

This being one of the main reasons I decided to order Outtie. Also the towing capacity had minor impact, I don't really need to have a pickup rotting on the driveway just because seldom boat hauling.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by ivanz

Thanks...that helps...called Mitsu and got no help!

kenb

Old 03-15-2011, 09:04 AM

So far 22 mpg...but only 3800 miles on the odo...should improve w/ time and miles.

kenb

Old 03-15-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by greentech
what is your actual mpg?
22 mpg...only 3800 on the odo...should improve w/ mileage

kenb

Old 03-17-2011, 12:36 PM

it that city or hwy?

Quick Reply: 2010 Outlander XLS AWD