Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (RVR)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Default 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (RVR)

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone on this forum as try yet the new 2011 Outlander Sport ( Or RVR in Canada). If so give us your first impression and feeling about that new product from Mitsubishi. Thank you!

Old 10-12-2010, 09:59 PM

When I was in for an oil change in September I spoke with the salesman who sold me my Outlander, and he is going to give me a call as soon as they get the Sport in. They made it sound like it would be within the next few weeks, but so far I'm still waiting.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:18 AM
tcp
Default Sport or whatever

Even the top model in Canada is equiped with a totally underwhelming 2l 4cyl with CVT transmission. Hardly seems "sporting".

Old 10-13-2010, 01:02 PM

I already saw one of these back in April at NY Auto Show, aesthetically this car to me looks better than the 2010 Outlander and wears that Evo front fascia a lot better due to shorter front overhang plus its a bit lower to the ground. The quality of interior materials is also step up from the current Outlanders, it has more soft plastics inside but more or less the dash has the same Lancer/Outlander theme. I haven't driven one but there are already a couple of reviews and in general it looks like a well handling/fuel efficient machine for everyday use. Given that the Outlander Sport 2WD is about 300lbs lighter than Outlander ES, the 2.0l especially with manual transmission should be fine (Outlander Sport ES 2 WD had a 8.8 0-60 time compared to 9.2 of the new Kia Sportage). Mitsu could have outfitted the car with the Ralliart engine but then again, it wouldn't cost $19,000 (although there are rumors that eventually there will be a Ralliart version of this; actually since this car essentially uses a lot of Lancer parts including the engine, the aftermarket kits are already available so this could be an interesting car to mod). Anyway, the car seems to have a lot of neat features such us electric power steering, regenerative braking system, standard FUSE system, optional panoramic roof, and telescoping steering wheel (yeah finally). Also, Mitsubishi did some excellent engineering (aerodynamics) work on this car, without using direct injection they were able to get this car up to 24/31MPG (basically at the top of the segment) and the coefficient of drag is 0.32 which is actually remarkable for a CUV considering that current Impreza is about 0.35.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...ive/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiy9vDywcQU

As far as Mitsu using the "Sport" in the name, a lot of other manufacturers have used it in the past but mostly it has nothing to do with performance (Montero/Montero Sport). I just don't understand why this car has 3 different names, isn't that a waste of time/money on marketing? RVR/ASX/Outlander Sport :S

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; 10-13-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:53 AM

I was interested in this car and read alot of reviews etc ,when it hit the dealer floors I was there in 10 minutes after they called to tell me to come by.
At 10 minutes and 30 seconds I was walking away from it ...reasons ..they called it a wagon or SUV ,but you can't fit a dog in the back with the seats up ,its as small as a hatchback in the back ,and the lump in the hood was like trying to see over a hill.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Default 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (RVR)

Hello,

I went to have a maintenance on my Outie 2008 this week at my dealer. I request them if it was possible to have a RVR for the day, so I would have being able to give some user my feedback of the SUV but I guest I'am not a good costumer because it wasn't possible for them to please my request. Maybe next time I will have 40 000$ to put on a new SUV, it would be better to go at a Honda dealer???? Sorry guys, the review will be for another time!!!!

Old 10-22-2010, 06:22 AM

Here in Aus it has the 2.4lt

Old 10-22-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by callross56
Here in Aus it has the 2.4lt
Hmmm, from Australian Mitsus site it doesn't list 2.4l as an option: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/...specifications

But from all the reviews so far it looks like the new Mitsubishi sourced 1.8l diesel engine is a real gem, lots of torque and is very fuel efficient even at sudden acceleration.

There are rumors that eventually RVR/ASX/Outlander Sport (lots of names for one car) will have a turbo Ralliart variant.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:49 PM

The 2.4L engine is pretty much history. It has been removed from the Lancer and the 2.0L has been bumped up in power. Maybe it will even be gone on the Outlander for 2011 MY.
I believe Mitsubishi will add direct injection (GDI was invented by Mitsubishi BTW) to the 2.0 soon to match and exceed the power of the 2.4. After all, Hyundai has direct injection+turbo on the same engine in the Sonata 2.0T. I'm not sure what Chrysler has done with their GEMA engines.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:51 PM

I live in Colorado and was able to test drive a 2011 Outlander Sport yesterday. It was the front wheel drive CVT with a 2.0 liter MIVEC I4 producing 148HP. The engine felt like it was lacking in many ways... slow acceleration and no power. Does anyone know if this is due to the CVT gearing ratios? Or is it just underpowered?

Quick Reply: 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (RVR)