Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Outlander battery dies in Accessory

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Default 2011 Outlander battery dies in Accessory

This has happened twice now to me once after having key in accessory position for 20 minutes the other after 5. After sitting in accessory mode for a time i get an error for the ASC and that it needs to be serviced. When I go to start the car the ignition clicks and slowly very slowly the car starts to crank until it reaches a good enough crank to turn over the engine. The car was bought in June and has about 10000 miles on it. I have no other problems with it. It is an SE model with 4X4 no after market electronics.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:46 PM

I would go to an auto electric shop and have them check, first the battery then if the battery is OK (I doubt) check the alternator for output.

If the alternator moan when the car is running it's probably defective (diode).

Battery do die at early age due to plate oxidation (too many deep discharge) or manufacturing defect/weakness.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:45 PM

Check the water level.

These batteries are not sealed-maintaince free. You will be suprised how much distilled water it will take to fill it to the split rings.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:01 PM

Also check for corrosion on the B+ battery terminal. I have an '11 as well and just noticed that there's some nasty corrosion going on there for some reason causing some added resistance there. I don't anticipate my factory battery to last very long and can't wait to make the switch to an Optima red top soon.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:18 PM

I had similar story after being a party 710W boombox, though I was even unable to start the engine - starter was just clicking, and I had a pocketful of errors - 4x4, ASC, ABS etc.

However, after staying for about hour or two, the battery recovered, engine started and all the lights went normal.

Curious, playing with Lexia after couple weeks since than I found "low battery" recorded error in 3 or 4 ECUs, including ETACS, airbag and immobilizer.

Last edited by Vadimus; 11-08-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:30 PM

Also noticed the same kind of ECU errors on an EVO after the battery voltage dipped down too low because the 2000W system had killed the starting battery.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:44 AM

Take the car back to the dealer and have both the battery and charging system checked. It's covered under warranty and won't cost anything. I got 39 months out of my OEM battery and recently replaced it after the cranking amps dropped way down. FWIW I never had any corrosion problems with the OEM battery.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:24 PM

ok went to dealer and the battery was at 426 of a 520. they charged it while i got my free oil change and it read 512. since then I have noticed the battery is not strong at all. Today I let me kids play in the car while i washed it and i put it in Accessory mode because we where playing music and not even 20 minutes later the car shut off and the battery was completely drained. The warranty for the battery is 24 months unlimited mileage so no sweat getting a new one. I have an appointment Tuesday and will demand a new battery. I always get what I want so should not be a problem. will let you know what happens and if i notice a diffrence

Old 12-01-2011, 10:55 PM

I noticed the same with my 2008 Outlander - sat in the parking lot with engine off, lights on, radio on, for about 10 minutes. Was barely able to start the engine after that.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:20 AM

Took my Outlander back on Tuesday and they just gave me a new Battery. It tested fine but it takes me 40 minutes to get to the dealer and I insisted on a new one so if it happens again we can check it off the list.

Quick Reply: 2011 Outlander battery dies in Accessory