Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Outlander Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Default 2011 Outlander Questions

Just picked up an '11 SE and wanting to do a couple things to it. First off, has anyone installed a K&N air filter into the stock intake setup? Didn't see any previous posts about it and was wondering if anyone has had issues, performance gain or loss, etc. And has anyone had a hitch installed on one of these that looks decent? Thought I saw a Uhaul brand hitch on a '10 model that looked decent. If you have a hitch on your Outlander, post the pics. Not looking to tow anything but I do have a hitch mount bike rack for my toys. Got to get the car ready to roll to MOD 2011 and want to drag the bikes there too.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:19 PM

The hitches look all about the same. I put a Curt hitch on my '11 and make sure that you pop for the Mitsu wiring harness. The hitch looks like the factory Mitsu hitch, but does not have the rubber step and it has a sticker that says "Curt" instead of "U-Haul".

Like I said, make sure that you use the Mitsu harness. It's plug and play- no trying to find out what wire does what.

I do have the K&N on my GoldWing. The only difference I found was more noise from the air box. No increase of power or fuel mileage. Wouldn't do it again.

Last edited by milliesdad; 05-25-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by milliesdad
The hitches look all about the same. I put a Curt hitch on my '11 and make sure that you pop for the Mitsu wiring harness. The hitch looks like the factory Mitsu hitch, but does not have the rubber step and it has a sticker that says "Curt" instead of "U-Haul".

Like I said, make sure that you use the Mitsu harness. It's plug and play- no trying to find out what wire does what.

I do have the K&N on my GoldWing. The only difference I found was more noise from the air box. No increase of power or fuel mileage. Wouldn't do it again.
I found a little diff, maybe 2-4 hp not a lots , the engine breath better, sound better. i did not see a difference in the gaz millage
it easy to install like a normal air filter, and you dont need to buy an other one. As its last 100 000 miles.
Just make shure you close the air filter box propely, it might look close but it might not be from the under.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the replies there folks. Was just looking to see how the Curt hitch looked compared to the Uhaul brand compared to the Hidden Hitch. Had a Hidden Hitch on my Maxima and you hardly notcied it was there. Guess on the Outlanders you really can't hide the tubing very well with the spare tire being in the way. The sticky on hitches really didn't have too many finished product pics. But it looks like the Curt is the way to go. I'm sure Uhaul wants an arm & a leg for theirs.

As for the K&N, I was going to give it a shot. It's dry and dusty here in the desert. Just didn't know if anyone ran into issues with their MAF when running one of these.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:59 AM

11SE2HEAR Welcome to the forum. I live in Mesa and have 25,000 miles on my 08 Outlander. I have no interest in installing a K&N, but you're right about being dry and dusty. I've been through a few dust storms here and have had no issues with my MAF. I follow Mitsubishi's severe maintenance schedule and have the air filter changed every 15,000 miles.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:46 PM
Thumbs up Re: 2011 Outlander Questions

Living in AZ I'm sure that changing the air filter will be an annual thing. Here in Chandler, we get just about as much dust as everyone else in Phoenix. Just firgured the extra air flow would gain me some MPG's like I've had on previous vehicles.

On another note, took my 2011 2.4L AWD on a pretty gnarly trail for the first time this past weekend. Pretty impressed with the AWD on the loose, rocky desert terrain. Not quite a Jeep, but was keeping up with an S10 Blazer. Think I'll keep this vehicle for a while.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:59 PM

I don't bother with K&Ns..they don't filter as well and while they 'flow' better...the bottleneck of air flow usually isn't the air filter

Old 06-02-2011, 08:53 PM

Hmm, then maybe I won't do the K&N. One last thing I forgot.....Gave the new car a run out of town this past weekend and quickly ran out of interior space. Looking to do one of those rooftop Thule carriers to stash duffle bags, guns and fishing gear. Went to Thule's site and they said there was no part number for the clamps that hook up to the factory rails that came on my SE. Anyone know which Thule factory rail clamps to use with the factory SE roof rails. Any ideas?

Old 06-03-2011, 08:24 AM

There is NO difference between 2010 and 2011 roof rail so use 2010.

As most web site they are slow in updating the current year until they actually look at the new model.

Since we play with the vehicle we know more then they do.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:01 AM

I used to run K&N filters in my bikes, until I was changing it and looked just past the filter, and had to wipe off a fine coating of dust behind the filter. I switched back to the paper filter, and never had that problem again. So, more air is fine.. but the increased crud going through the engine wasn't.