Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Outlander Sport Bad Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:26 AM

I'm only averaging about 260miles to a tank... thats 90% city 10% highway... I only have about 550-600 miles total on it.... but if you average that... its only 16mpg

Old 03-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Smile gas

I am driving RVR 2011 GT (got it about 3 weeks ago in Toronto, Canada). It has about 900km on it right now. So far average mileage is about 10-11 liters per 100km (80% city + 20%) which is really good coming from hungry Pontiac Vibe 2009 2.4 liter AWD (with RVR I fill up once per 3-4 days when there 50% left in tank, with Vibe it was every other day, courtesy GM crooks). On some trips in city I was able to squeeze advertised 8.8 liters from RVR, highway is around 7-8 liters per 100 km (going to take 150 km highway trip this weekend and along the way will check real highway mileage). I am keeping RVR in 2D mode, very occasionally switching to 4WD when there is heavy snow or slippery road. Using 91 octane gas.

All in all so far I am happy with mileage and RVR itself. Will see how it goes...Mileage of course depends on driving habits. For example pushing your car hard at the lights in order to show everyone around that you are a "pretty cool dude or gal" and your car is "even cooler then others here" will most definitely eat more gas. But I personally have nothing to prove to anyone . If people want to rev their engines in order to overtake me on a road I let them. Funny enough we arrive to the same places at approximately same time (with difference of about 20-30 seconds) because they need to use breaks more often in order to stop at all these street lights that are so damn close to each other . Ironic isn't it?

I drive by pushing engine to 2000 - 2500 - 2900 RPM at start and holding gas pedal at that level until RVR accelerates to about 50-60km/h (RPM gradually falls down when car goes faster). Then I ease gas pedal to drop RPM to 1100 - 1500. Acceleration / Gas usage progress bar really helps to monitor how much gas you use and ultimately teaches you to drive differently. Basically now I am paying more attention to Tachometer rather then to Speedometer.

Last edited by rvr2011; 03-02-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by imallergic2broke
I'm only averaging about 260miles to a tank... thats 90% city 10% highway... I only have about 550-600 miles total on it.... but if you average that... its only 16mpg

I'm close to that too. Regardelss, we should at leas be seeing low to mid 20s. I think Mitsubishi screwed up. I don't believe their mileage estimate shown on the sticker is nearly accurate.

No improvements at all. In fact, I get better gas mileage in my Evo trying to get bad gas mileage.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:02 PM

What exactly is "city" traffic like where you are? My city traffic is going 5-15 km/h for about an hour and I get about 10 mpg on my Outlander V6. I think most cars would use that much idling so much regardless of which engine they have.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:30 AM

@ivanz

There is no much idling in our area. Also, I am a contractor and my working hours are flexible so I choose when I need to drive thus avoiding traffic. I guess if you are in a situation of everyday commute to full-time job with millions of other people there are several choices: 1. public transportation (if it at all exists and makes sense) 2. car pooling 3. car with smaller engine

I understand that in North America ppl generally never cared about how much gas they waste driving a SINGLE person to work every day (one of the main reasons for traffic today, another one is corrupt government that kisses *** of big corporations and does not care about improvement of public transportation as they do in Europe).

Anyway, I hear you. Engine idling eats the most. The only way out of it - reduce engine idling any way possible. Good luck.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:37 AM

Also, there is always a way to buy a North American car + test its "advertised" mileage on your wallet. That's the reason why I gave up Pontiac Vibe 2009. RVR eats less for my needs.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:48 PM

Actually I walk to work, takes about 40 mins vs 30 mins by car. Nothing to do with money, but I get my daily exercise that way and its less stressful than crawling to work at a slow speed.
I went skiing a couple of times after work and always got caught up in that rush hour traffic...and that would get me something like 18-22 L/100km. Had a car with a larger engine before and it would also get that same mileage. I've since concluded that it doesn't matter which car you have, they will all use that much fuel in those conditions. Thankfully, all my jobs have either been close to home or were against the flow of traffic.

However, my point was city is defined as a US city that's basically the equvilent of the suburbs/highways around Vancouver. So it would be unrealistic to get the rated mpg in those circumstances.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by GetterDragun
I'm close to that too. Regardelss, we should at leas be seeing low to mid 20s. I think Mitsubishi screwed up. I don't believe their mileage estimate shown on the sticker is nearly accurate.

No improvements at all. In fact, I get better gas mileage in my Evo trying to get bad gas mileage.
I work for a Mitsubishi dealership in NJ... Supposedly after the first oil change that will end the break in period and we should get way better gas mileage... at least that what the lead tech said...

Old 03-10-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by imallergic2broke
I work for a Mitsubishi dealership in NJ... Supposedly after the first oil change that will end the break in period and we should get way better gas mileage... at least that what the lead tech said...
You work at Maywood/Paramus?

Old 03-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Banned

I don't know how you are all calculating your MPG.

Here is the most accurate way. Fill the tank and reset the trip, then when you next fill up, take note of how much gas the tank will take before the pump shuts off. Simply divide the number on your trip, but how many gallons you put in.

This whole 'miles per tank' thing is not the foundation for a valid conclusion.

Quick Reply: 2011 Outlander Sport Bad Gas Mileage?