Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2012 Outlander CVT fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 03:20 PM
Default 2012 Outlander CVT fluid change

Does anybody know when to change the CVT fluid? I've heard it should be done at 20K but want to know for sure before I start this project! My 2012 has the 4 cyl motor in it and does NOT tow anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Chris

Old 09-16-2014, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by acfyffe
Does anybody know when to change the CVT fluid? I've heard it should be done at 20K but want to know for sure before I start this project! My 2012 has the 4 cyl motor in it and does NOT tow anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Chris
I have a 2011 Four cylinder. From what I remember in the Owner's manual, it says change at 30,000 miles. People have told me here to use only the Mitsubishi fluid, not a generic substitute. Does anyone know if that is still true?

Old 09-17-2014, 09:01 PM

my 2012 outlander has 31k miles and the dealer told me its recommended at 30k.
they want 270 to drain and fill the tranny fluid.
Anyone knows the procedure since its a CVT because i have a buddy whos a mechanical but he said if its complicated, let the dealer do it.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:44 PM

I did a drain and fill on my 2011 MOS cvt and used Valvoline CVTF with no problems. I drove around for a few miles to get the fluid warm. Parked on a level surface and drained the fluid. Should be a 19mm socket. Drained till nothing came out, which was about 30 minutes. Installed the plug and filled with what I removed (5.25 quarts). Test drove and rechecked the fluid level.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:55 PM

if you did not drain the trans axle as well you did not do it correctly you should have had to do a bit over 8 qt, you need to remove the top line going to the trans cooler, run it for about 1 min, should pump out 3-5 qt, then you drain the pan on the trans with the 19mm wrench, add about 5qt to the trans, start and run for about 1 min with the top hose off you should have about another 3qt dirty fluid before the clean stuff starts coming out, then you just top off the trans, close everything up and test to ensure you are at the correct levels. Mario all you did was add some clean oil to already dirty stuff bud

Old 11-24-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by JRK5892
if you did not drain the trans axle as well you did not do it correctly you should have had to do a bit over 8 qt, you need to remove the top line going to the trans cooler, run it for about 1 min, should pump out 3-5 qt, then you drain the pan on the trans with the 19mm wrench, add about 5qt to the trans, start and run for about 1 min with the top hose off you should have about another 3qt dirty fluid before the clean stuff starts coming out, then you just top off the trans, close everything up and test to ensure you are at the correct levels. Mario all you did was add some clean oil to already dirty stuff bud
that sounds like an awful lot like the procedure for changing ATF fluid. Are you sure that is the same procedure for changing CVT fluid??

For what its worth, when you go into a stealership for a "fluid change" for the ATF...that's all they do. A drain & fill that only gets 2qts. blegh.

Last edited by ccernst; 11-24-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:34 PM

the process are basicly the same... and no when you go to the dealer they pump, but do not flush as the fluid is subject to contamination, and fill, total of 7.5qt. no idea where you saw a 2qt fill, but i know on all of my friends that have had the CVT serviced their parts list had 9qt list on the break down (2 different dealers i will add) when i took him to pick up his truck went over the prev mentioned process for my CVT and the tech told me that would be perfect.

Last edited by JRK5892; 11-25-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:35 PM

I believe what you are thinking of is the AWD service, they use 2 things of gear oil, as each axle gets about 1/2 qt

Old 11-25-2014, 01:41 PM

if i am mistaken on this i hope someone will chime in as i plan on doing mine this holiday weekend

Old 11-25-2014, 03:08 PM

the process are basicly the same... and no when you go to the dealer they pump, but do not flush as the fluid is subject to contamination, and fill, total of 7.5qt. no idea where you saw a 2qt fill, but i know on all of my friends that have had the CVT serviced their parts list had 9qt list on the break down (2 different dealers i will add) when i took him to pick up his truck went over the prev mentioned process for my CVT and the tech told me that would be perfect.
I believe what you are thinking of is the AWD service, they use 2 things of gear oil, as each axle gets about 1/2 qt
The 2qt drain/fill was what I got the first time I had my transmission fluid "changed" at the stealership. After it was done, I asked them if they changed it all or just some of it...since it said 2qt. They said drain/fill. So for very similar cost, I can either have them change out 2qt or I can buy the fluid myself to "flush" it all out. I asked them if they do change it all out, they could, but the price would reflect all 8qts of fluid plus an hour of labor.

The service manual also states a drain/fill changes out 2.1qt.

Changing out the t-case and rear diff only takes 1 qt of gear lube.

Quick Reply: 2012 Outlander CVT fluid change