Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2013 Outlander V6 erratic acceleration, loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Default 2013 Outlander V6 erratic acceleration, loss of power

Hi Mitsubishi enthusiasts,

I have a 2013 Outlander V6 that I've been driving for the past 10 months. Loves the responsiveness and power the car has. However, about 2 weeks ago, I noticed a sharp drop in its performance. The car now struggles when trying to get up to 40 mph, generates excessive noise when I accelerate, feels sluggish (even my wife noticed it from the passenger seat) and seems to be sucking fuel (based on how quickly the fuel gauge was dropping).

After some research, I realize that it could be due to a host of issues (air pressure sensors, engine intake, transmission, etc). The car is still under warranty (<29K miles) and I am hoping it will cover the issues. I have an appt with the dealer in 2 days and wanted to see if anyone has had similar issues or advice on what the dealer will probably find. Just want to be ready in case the dealer comes back with an exorbitant quote

Thanks in advance if anyone would give their 2 cents.

Cheers!

Old 08-03-2015, 06:45 PM

You should still be under the bumper to bumper warranty. I don't think the dealer has an option but to fix the problem... I don't think there's a wear item that could cause those problems...

Did it set a check engine light?

Old 08-03-2015, 07:44 PM

Airbox is the first easy thing to check, it's a bit awkward to put together right. If it's loose, it's probably your problem.

Usually if you get your car serviced anywhere for an oil change, inspection or anything, they'll check your airbox air filter and put it back together wrong.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:51 PM

Guy,
Check engine light didn't come on. Car starting to shudder when I start it up in the morning. Will be interesting to see what the code says.

Playa,
Air filter was the first thing I checked. Took it out and gave it some air hosing. Didn't seem to help. Now I'm worried I may have put it back the wrong way...lol.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:36 PM

If it's sucking fuel it's probably running rich or there's some kind of leak... Notice anything coming out the tailpipe or anything on the ground?

In any case I'm sure the dealer will sort it out for you under warranty.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:30 PM

We checked the airbox and sure enough they tried to pawn it off as what's causing the problem. popped in a new filter but problem still there. what else do you guys think might be causing the loss in power? They are checking transmission fluid and then possibly getting a technical ticket from Mitsubishi. Guys at the dealership is really helpful and patient though so that made the experience much better.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:41 PM

Only the dealer has the right tools to diagnose. If they had another outlander to compare it to, i'd check the value of the MAF while driving and compare. If it's showing more airflow comparatively, it's probably a bad sensor and the ECU is injecting more fuel than it needs.

It also could be a bad fuel injector as well.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:04 PM

gggplaya, you are spot on. Techline came back and said try cleaning MAF and adjust throttle body. They've seen the same happen with other Outlanders due to after market air filters. Now the dealership wants to charge for the service. I bought the car used but have never had the air filter changed so why wouldn't they honor the warranty. Very disappointing. I'm going to call Mitsubishi directly. Do you think they will have a record on hand?

Old 08-07-2015, 03:11 AM

I'd pose that question to the dealer directly: "Why won't you honor my warranty?"

Old 08-07-2015, 07:54 AM

Do you have an aftermarket filter on your car?? How many miles on your car??? Doubtful your throttle body or MAF could get that dirty being a 2014 unless you did have some oily aftermarket filter.

I'd tell the dealer to fix it, if it turns out to be a dirty maf and throttlebody, then you'll pay for it, otherwise they pay for whatever is wrong.

Quick Reply: 2013 Outlander V6 erratic acceleration, loss of power