Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2014 Outlander Sport Catalytic Converter P0421

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 02:29 PM
Default 2014 Outlander Sport Catalytic Converter P0421

Hey Guys/Gals,
So swapped both my daughters O2 Sensers and throwing a P0421 Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Belwo Threshold Bank 1. So my assumptions is a plugged Cat. Anyone done one on that model? If so, is this an easy one or take to shop since you will need torch + welder + cases of beer?
I try to stay away from Exhaust stuff since the bolts are never fun.

Thanks
Thom

Old 04-11-2023, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by no1tmorrow
Hey Guys/Gals,
So swapped both my daughters O2 Sensers and throwing a P0421 Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Belwo Threshold Bank 1. So my assumptions is a plugged Cat. Anyone done one on that model? If so, is this an easy one or take to shop since you will need torch + welder + cases of beer?
I try to stay away from Exhaust stuff since the bolts are never fun.

Thanks
Thom
Been dealing with a P421 and the dealer for over a year now. It’s intermittent. Anyways, any performance issues while accelerating? It’s likely the converter built into the manifold.

Old 04-11-2023, 01:36 PM

Only a year.... Dang.
My daughter drives it so finding out if there is any performance issue is never going to happen. Sadly.

The manifold/cat was my next part to shoot out of the parts cannon. Just didn't know if anyone has swapped theirs and was it shade tree or muffler shop replaceable? 1AAuto and RockAuto have resonably priced manifolds but the labor on this one will be the killer.

Good luck getting yours fixed.

Thanks

Old 04-12-2023, 12:16 AM

Only a year.... Dang.
My daughter drives it so finding out if there is any performance issue is never going to happen. Sadly.

The manifold/cat was my next part to shoot out of the parts cannon. Just didn't know if anyone has swapped theirs and was it shade tree or muffler shop replaceable? 1AAuto and RockAuto have resonably priced manifolds but the labor on this one will be the killer.

Good luck getting yours fixed.

Thanks
Check here maybe? https://www.manualslib.com/manual/15...Outlander.html

I would think the toughest bolts maybe the one ones connecting the exhaust to the manifold cat, but I think they maybe of some decent quality/size. Little heat may help, hears a video that’s probably some what similar https://youtu.be/tWC-p1mV5-U

Dealer repair is between $3200-$3500.

Last edited by Truwarrior22; 04-12-2023 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:31 AM

Dang Truwarrior. That is awesome link. Feel like that is a cheat guide of where the hidden bolts are. Now no laughing but looking at torque specs what the heck is 49 ± 5 N⋅m? Is that 49 newton meters + or - 5 so 44-54Nm?

Thanks all.

Old 04-12-2023, 09:06 AM

Dang Truwarrior. That is awesome link. Feel like that is a cheat guide of where the hidden bolts are. Now no laughing but looking at torque specs what the heck is 49 ± 5 N⋅m? Is that 49 newton meters + or - 5 so 44-54Nm?

Thanks all.
Yes, I believe so. Guessing it's over 8 years or 80,000 miles, i.e. out of warranty? Mine started to fail just under 80K, did a software update which didn't fix the issue, but now I'm out of warranty. Looks like they will provide the part but I'll have to pay for the labor... Probably go this route since I'm not sure how good the aftermarket parts are. Let us know which part you get and how it works out! Don't forget the gaskets, etc.

Old 04-12-2023, 10:02 AM

Funny you meantion 80k. My daughter is at 82k.... Of course its over 80,000... I will come back in here and update what I got, when I switch out the converter, this summer, when she returns from college.

Thanks again.

Old 04-12-2023, 10:07 AM

Funny you meantion 80k. My daughter is at 82k.... Of course its over 80,000... I will come back in here and update what I got, when I switch out the converter, this summer, when she returns from college.

Thanks again.
Awesome, good luck! Mines been intermittent for over a year, but performance seems OK so likely nothing urgent. Whatever happened to a single converter? Guess it's emission regulation, etc. just wonder if other manufacturers are having the same issues...

Old 05-28-2023, 04:33 PM

Ok swapped it today with the one from1a auto (below). Always learning but if I had to do it again, i would not take off all the heat shields. Not sure but just I think the top one that goes around the o2 sensor was all that may need to be taken off. There is 5 manifold nuts, two spring bolts, 1 nut that holds the clamp around exhaust (see from under). The trick that kept me from losing my mind was the center manifold but I use a really long 14mm ratchet wrench that swiveled.

start to finish was 4 hours but spent at least an hour on one heat shield bolt that I didn’t need to take off.

we will see if her check engine light stays off.

last thing. The spring bolts didn’t have the same collar that the original had so I ended up using old ones.

2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport L4 2.0L Exhaust Manifold Catalytic Converter Assembly Cateran Inc 33129

Last edited by no1tmorrow; 05-28-2023 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:17 PM

Ok swapped it today with the one from1a auto (below). Always learning but if I had to do it again, i would not take off all the heat shields. Not sure but just I think the top one that goes around the o2 sensor was all that may need to be taken off. There is 5 manifold nuts, two spring bolts, 1 nut that holds the clamp around exhaust (see from under). The trick that kept me from losing my mind was the center manifold but I use a really long 14mm ratchet wrench that swiveled.

start to finish was 4 hours but spent at least an hour on one heat shield bolt that I didn’t need to take off.

we will see if her check engine light stays off.

last thing. The spring bolts didn’t have the same collar that the original had so I ended up using old ones.

2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport L4 2.0L Exhaust Manifold Catalytic Converter Assembly Cateran Inc 33129
Nice job! New manifold/cat still working well?

Quick Reply: 2014 Outlander Sport Catalytic Converter P0421