Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2014 Outlander Transmission sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 06:21 PM
Default 2014 Outlander Transmission sensor

Edit 2: I've figured out (by removal of the valve body), that my vehicle has the JF011E. Looking online to find a remanufactured valve body/ valves, etc., what I am running into now is mine only has one pressure switch. 99% of what's available online has 2 pressure sensors. Will this cause problems if I use the dual sensors? Or will it just not read the 2nd and everything will be ok? Although the current code suggests the stepper motor is not functioning, with the issues I'm having, I'd prefer to go ahead and replace that stuff along with the filter while I have it out.

Edit 1: So, I checked all of the wiring, cleared the code and test drove the car to try to get the code to show itself again. This time I got a different code (P1778). I am attempting to locate a reman valve body but I'm stuck on which PN to look for. The dealer told me my tx part number is 2700A341. Mine is Front wheel drive, and the engine is 2.4l. Is this the JF016e?

BTW, what is happening while driving is this: the car will take off just fine. After shifting out of first, if I maintain a light and steady pressure on the gas pedal, I can get the car up to 60+ with little issue. If I accelerate too quickly in the process (as if to pass or speed up), the engine revs to over 3k rpm, as if the tx is slipping. 1st and reverse work just fine.

Original post: I am at my wits' end. Does anyone know where I can find the Transmission fluid (oil) pressure switches/ sensors for a 2014 2.4l 4cyl fwd CVT 8 Outlander transmission? I have scoured the internet and I'm coming up short. I asked the dealer and they said they can't even order it from Mitsubishi in Japan (obsolete). I am not replacing the entire tranny for a stupid sensor.
For reference, I am getting a P0868 code, which by everything I can tell, is a faulty sensor or pump.

Last edited by asd.sparky; 11-09-2021 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 11-02-2021, 12:15 AM

P0868 refers to secondary pressure reduction. Before condemning the gearbox the wiring needs to be checked. There can be a break in the wiring to the gearbox which causes that code.

And the sensor is not available as a separate part

Old 11-05-2021, 11:45 AM

So, I checked all of the wiring, cleared the code and test drove the car to try to get the code to show itself again. This time I got a different code (P1778). I am attempting to locate a reman valve body but I'm stuck on which PN to look for. The dealer told me my tx part number is 2700A341. Mine is Front wheel drive, and the engine is 2.4l. Is this the JF016e?

BTW, what is happening while driving is this: the car will take off just fine. After shifting out of first, if I maintain a light and steady pressure on the gas pedal, I can get the car up to 60+ with little issue. If I accelerate too quickly in the process (as if to pass or speed up), the engine revs to over 3k rpm, as if the tx is slipping. 1st and reverse work just fine.

Last edited by asd.sparky; 11-05-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:31 PM

I've obtained more info but need more assistance now. I've edited the original post with the new info to keep the timeline in one place (for me to go back to later).

Old 11-09-2021, 08:10 PM

Has somebody that knows about CVT driven the car?

You speak about first gear, but a CVT is constantly varaible, so you dont have a first gear. And your description of how the car behaves sounds normal. If you accelleate hard the revs will shoot up

Old 11-11-2021, 09:33 AM

Yes, I am aware there is no "first gear". This was just the easiest way to describe what is happening since in the normal operation the rpms change when the pulley moves as if it were going through "gears".

When first moving from a complete stop, the car will accelerate fine to around 30 mph. At that point, if I attempt to accelerate with a little more effort (not pedal to the floor...more like, I don't want to take all day to get where I'm going) the RMPs will increase from around 1500 to 3-4k, without any additional forward push, as if I put it in neutral and hit the gas. I've driven this car for 165k miles and this is not normal operation. The symptom did not gradually show up. It drove just fine one day and started this mess the next, without any warning.

I've deduced that I likely have a valve assembly issue, either pressure sensor or stepper motor, based on the codes I've gotten and since no wires appear to be damaged. I've checked all of the solenoids for operation and they all work. I did check the coils on the stepper motor and they have the proper resistance ~15Ω from pin 2 to 1 & 3 and pin 5 to 4 & 6 and ~30Ω from pin 1-3 and pin 4-6, but I didn't physically connect it to power to test the operation. I'm not quite sure how to effectively test the pressure sensor.

Will the 2 sensor assembly affect the operation since mine currently only has one or will it simply not read the 2nd sensor and all should be fine? Or could all of this be for nothing and the issue is caused by the black fluid and dirty filter?

Old 12-08-2021, 08:01 PM

I removed the valve body and replaced the pressure switch, checked the operation of the solenoids, checked and verified the continuity in the internal wiring harness and verified the resistance on the stepper motor. The original code indicated low pressure. Now I get a high pressure error. Is it possible the stepper motor is having intermittent problems despite having proper resistance? could the issue maybe be related to the pump valve? Any thoughts?