Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2016 Outlander GT (Canadian) - Service Reminder Problems and AUTO wipers, TPMS sets

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 03:37 AM
Default 2016 Outlander GT (Canadian) - Service Reminder Problems and AUTO wipers, TPMS sets

Picked up a new 2016 outlander GT S-AWC in white pearl a few weeks ago. Been enjoying it so far. This was my wifes (and mine) first NEW car we have ever purchased.

A couple of questions. My mother in law also has a 2014 RVR and I have always fought with the Service reminder system. I am a certified mechanic and have access to Snap on verus scanner to the current update

When I bought the outlander I was informed to change the oil every 8000KM/6 months. (normal service interval). I use the factory recommended 0w20 API SN Full Synthetic engine oil and factory MZ690072 oil filter (eventho it came with a different filter from the factory which was a tiny bit larger)

Anyways when I received delivery of the outlander I noticed the service interval was reading 12,000 km/12 months. I noted the issue and the salesman said that the service people could set it properly. Upon returning to have that fixed (and the steering wheel centered properly) and asking about it the service reminder I returned to the car only to have it read 22,700km/23 months (outlander has 1300km on it at this point, and I had changed the oil at 1000 KM due to small amount of metal transferred into the motor during ring/bearing break in. (figured couldn't hurt anything, eventho the service staff said was not required) Doing this and wanting the service interval reset to 8000km's again seems to have challenged and confused the factory technicians

I asked the service advisor about it and she had the mechanic come out and explain there was nothing he could do about it. Now I know the 4 long presses followed by the 4 short presses to get into the service mode selection, which works the exact same on my 2016 outlander BTW. anyways all I could select at this point is to have it read 6700 KM (as I can see it, the service reminder is accounting the the 1300km on the vehicle, and also if you go over the service point, and the KM/Months is in ---- --- long enough it will actually reset itself (as covered in the owners manual) and start back at the recommended mileage interval. if you try and reset it again after actually chaning the oil, it deducts automatically how much you have went over the interval from the total. I learned about this on my mother in laws '14 RVR GT.

Anyways this system is totally screwy. The tech I spoke to said he could only change the area, and reset the options from the instrument cluster (which is very limited), and admitted to having problems properly resetting the mileage intervals when customers go over the amount set. What I have found on my Snap on scanner is I can access the instrument cluster module and actually program the desired amount, and even if my mother in law goes 500 km over the 8000km service interval (periodic inspection as Mitsubishi calls it) I can still manually program the inspection interval manually by entering it with the scanner (option not available through the cluster options as far as I know. The dealer I was dealing with did not have a snap on scanner, just a factory Mitsubishi scanner (not sure what this would be). Anyways the dealership tech said to just use my snap on scanner to program the interval myself lol. Does my snap on scanner really have more ability to program the service interval better then the OEM scanner!??? lol. In the Service interval options there are like 10 or more different options you can play with, such as the "option" mode and "normal" and "severe" modes. Only problem is that using these modes always deduct the amount of km/miles from the total after u reset it. To get around this I found you can go into "periodic inspection" and program the months and KM's manually. (enter 008000 in KM section and 006 in the months section) (wont accept entry unless you add the correct amount of Zero's infront of the amount you want) Once you set it, the proper amount of mileage will be displayed. Untill the next service interval where the same vicious cycle loops, and you actually have to have a up to date snap on scanner (1000's and 1000's of dollars to own) to properly reset the interval every oil change (unless you actually change your oil right on 8000KM mark, and reset it at that time, then the stock system works great! hahaha)

So now I own one of these and have to deal with this problem myself being a fully certified automotive technician.

Only other thing I find annoying is the AUTO mode for the wipers (uses rain sensing sensor). At times I find it going too fast for the amount of rain at slower speeds. due to it wiping too fast the wipers "screeeech" on the window at times. turning the adjustment **** to the most negative adjustment it still goes too fast. The only other option is to turn it to OFF and push it to MIST manually to wipe the window at a slower rate. In the owners manual it says you can turn off the speed sensitive options, and make it function like a normal "INT" switched system that the base model would have... but says you have to take it to your Mitsubishi dealer to adjust. Any way to deal with this? the auto wipers seem to work great otherwise, only noticed this a few times when it was raining fairly hard, but small drops of rain... so the wipers screech.

One other problem also was the winter tire package the dealer installed. In my owners manual it says you can switch between the two sets of wheels/tires with separate TPMS sensor sets installed. (You can access this setting off the main "SETTINGS" options on the cluster (only displays in PARK with ebrake ON) When I asked the technician about this 2nd set option he said that he cant program two sets and looked confused to what I said. I mentioned about how the 2016 has the set options for TPMS and he said I would have to re-programm the TMPS Id's every tire change over twice a year. When I tried to adjust the sets from 1 to 2 in the SETTINGS menu it wouldn't switch (probably because the technician just erased the summer wheel ID's and re-wrote the wireless module with the new winter set ID #'s. I change my tires/wheels myself so I want to be able to be able to use the factory option of changing from set 1 and set 2 so I don't have to go to a tire shop/dealer to have the system work properly twice a year at change over time

Mainly sounds like I need to find a Factory Mitsubishi tech that knows what the heck hes doing with the factory Mitsubishi scanner and how to work on the current outlander model. Frustrating that I paid close to $40,000 for this new mitsu, and I'm going to have to do this on my own time cuz the dealer cant even change the programming in my '16 outlander.

Sorry for the long post. Hoping I can find some other owners out there with similar problems and how they delt with it.

Last edited by turbocolts; 11-24-2015 at 03:46 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:27 AM

There's a thread called ETACS options customization that lets you play with the service intervals and other things the dealer and factory can and cannot change as well as the customer options if you don't have the MMCS. The tool is only $40 so it might be worth having as a backup to your snap-on and may even do some things yours doesn't do.

The dealers MUT II/III tool has a lot of options but it does have limitations, for example they cannot turn off the TPMS system at all.

The rain sensors are always like that on every car I've owned... on my 2010 There's OFF, Auto, Low, Med and High toggles... I don't know if they removed these on the new ones but you can probably change that setting in ETACS.

If the new cars support multiple sets of TPMS try calling local tire shops, one of them probably knows what they are doing, otherwise you can get a set of TPMS sensors which can clone the IDs of your existing sensors (I think gator or something makes them) You could try calling customer service and telling them about your plight, they may be able to send a training package to the stealership.
I'm surprised the Verrus can't set TPMS ids.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:45 PM

I can program and register ID' with the verus. So if all else fails, I can do it myself (also have a ID code read/activator tool from UNI sensor. When I bought the 16 outlander it came for free with a winter tire package (yokohama winters, 16" mitsu steel wheels, 4 oem tpms sensors (different I'd #"s then stock) and 20 new lug nuts. The dealer installed them for free as well, and I figured they would be able to do all the programming of the tmps module and matience interval set properly themselves. I guess I was wrong.

Last edited by turbocolts; 11-24-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by turbocolts
Picked up a new 2016 outlander GT S-AWC in white pearl a few weeks ago. Been enjoying it so far. This was my wifes (and mine) first NEW car we have ever purchased.

A couple of questions. My mother in law also has a 2014 RVR and I have always fought with the Service reminder system. I am a certified mechanic and have access to Snap on verus scanner to the current update

When I bought the outlander I was informed to change the oil every 8000KM/6 months. (normal service interval). I use the factory recommended 0w20 API SN Full Synthetic engine oil and factory MZ690072 oil filter (eventho it came with a different filter from the factory which was a tiny bit larger)

Anyways when I received delivery of the outlander I noticed the service interval was reading 12,000 km/12 months. I noted the issue and the salesman said that the service people could set it properly. Upon returning to have that fixed (and the steering wheel centered properly) and asking about it the service reminder I returned to the car only to have it read 22,700km/23 months (outlander has 1300km on it at this point, and I had changed the oil at 1000 KM due to small amount of metal transferred into the motor during ring/bearing break in. (figured couldn't hurt anything, eventho the service staff said was not required) Doing this and wanting the service interval reset to 8000km's again seems to have challenged and confused the factory technicians

I asked the service advisor about it and she had the mechanic come out and explain there was nothing he could do about it. Now I know the 4 long presses followed by the 4 short presses to get into the service mode selection, which works the exact same on my 2016 outlander BTW. anyways all I could select at this point is to have it read 6700 KM (as I can see it, the service reminder is accounting the the 1300km on the vehicle, and also if you go over the service point, and the KM/Months is in ---- --- long enough it will actually reset itself (as covered in the owners manual) and start back at the recommended mileage interval. if you try and reset it again after actually chaning the oil, it deducts automatically how much you have went over the interval from the total. I learned about this on my mother in laws '14 RVR GT.

Anyways this system is totally screwy. The tech I spoke to said he could only change the area, and reset the options from the instrument cluster (which is very limited), and admitted to having problems properly resetting the mileage intervals when customers go over the amount set. What I have found on my Snap on scanner is I can access the instrument cluster module and actually program the desired amount, and even if my mother in law goes 500 km over the 8000km service interval (periodic inspection as Mitsubishi calls it) I can still manually program the inspection interval manually by entering it with the scanner (option not available through the cluster options as far as I know. The dealer I was dealing with did not have a snap on scanner, just a factory Mitsubishi scanner (not sure what this would be). Anyways the dealership tech said to just use my snap on scanner to program the interval myself lol. Does my snap on scanner really have more ability to program the service interval better then the OEM scanner!??? lol. In the Service interval options there are like 10 or more different options you can play with, such as the "option" mode and "normal" and "severe" modes. Only problem is that using these modes always deduct the amount of km/miles from the total after u reset it. To get around this I found you can go into "periodic inspection" and program the months and KM's manually. (enter 008000 in KM section and 006 in the months section) (wont accept entry unless you add the correct amount of Zero's infront of the amount you want) Once you set it, the proper amount of mileage will be displayed. Untill the next service interval where the same vicious cycle loops, and you actually have to have a up to date snap on scanner (1000's and 1000's of dollars to own) to properly reset the interval every oil change (unless you actually change your oil right on 8000KM mark, and reset it at that time, then the stock system works great! hahaha)

So now I own one of these and have to deal with this problem myself being a fully certified automotive technician.

Only other thing I find annoying is the AUTO mode for the wipers (uses rain sensing sensor). At times I find it going too fast for the amount of rain at slower speeds. due to it wiping too fast the wipers "screeeech" on the window at times. turning the adjustment **** to the most negative adjustment it still goes too fast. The only other option is to turn it to OFF and push it to MIST manually to wipe the window at a slower rate. In the owners manual it says you can turn off the speed sensitive options, and make it function like a normal "INT" switched system that the base model would have... but says you have to take it to your Mitsubishi dealer to adjust. Any way to deal with this? the auto wipers seem to work great otherwise, only noticed this a few times when it was raining fairly hard, but small drops of rain... so the wipers screech.

One other problem also was the winter tire package the dealer installed. In my owners manual it says you can switch between the two sets of wheels/tires with separate TPMS sensor sets installed. (You can access this setting off the main "SETTINGS" options on the cluster (only displays in PARK with ebrake ON) When I asked the technician about this 2nd set option he said that he cant program two sets and looked confused to what I said. I mentioned about how the 2016 has the set options for TPMS and he said I would have to re-programm the TMPS Id's every tire change over twice a year. When I tried to adjust the sets from 1 to 2 in the SETTINGS menu it wouldn't switch (probably because the technician just erased the summer wheel ID's and re-wrote the wireless module with the new winter set ID #'s. I change my tires/wheels myself so I want to be able to be able to use the factory option of changing from set 1 and set 2 so I don't have to go to a tire shop/dealer to have the system work properly twice a year at change over time

Mainly sounds like I need to find a Factory Mitsubishi tech that knows what the heck hes doing with the factory Mitsubishi scanner and how to work on the current outlander model. Frustrating that I paid close to $40,000 for this new mitsu, and I'm going to have to do this on my own time cuz the dealer cant even change the programming in my '16 outlander.

Sorry for the long post. Hoping I can find some other owners out there with similar problems and how they delt with it.
Wow!! all these problems with a new car...unreal...

As far as the maintenance reminder on these cars go..I always turn mine to the OFF position...first thing I do.. ( I've had 5 Mitsus) I just keep an eye on my mileage and change the oil every 10,000 km..using synthetic oil...never had a problem...and the dealer never says anything.

The wipers thing is sort of irritating for sure...I would just turn that feature off if it were my car...I'm not a fan of auto anything...and its a no brainer for me.

The TPMS is also no big deal for some people (me included) I have my winter tires on now ( no sensors) and I dont even notice the little orange light at the bottom of the dash...no biggie for me. I check my tire pressures every 2 weeks and have no need for TPMS ...IMHO its only useful if you are driving along and suddenly have a leak that would set the TPMS light..then it would be a good thing to have.

I suppose this is sort of Old School Thinking..but I have been driving 35 + years.

I'm not sure what part of Canada you live in...but I have a good Dealer I can recommend in the GTA.. Toronto Area...Best of luck with your car.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:46 AM

Live in the Vancouver area, waaaayyyy out west ahaha

Old 11-25-2015, 09:11 AM

I use auto everything and love it. Only the wipers do I ever have to sometimes touch when the weather is in an odd state usually light rain or snow.

On mine the orange TPMS light flashes and the central display in the dash switches to service TPMS every 15 minutes and it starts dinging, it's really irritating. Maybe they toned that down in the newer models... You can turn it off with the ETACS tool though... or if it's just the light with electric tape :P

Old 11-25-2015, 11:13 AM
Smile

Thanks, for some interesting Posts! I guess it pays to have your Outlander Serviced at the wright time and Don't go over what gauge says. On my 2015 SE I'll have the oil changed early, the Frist time, and then have it changed again when it's time to have it serviced.yeah I was going to say If your not having good Success with that one Dealership Mech, I would go to another one. Untill you find one that you like. But I know in your area there may not be that many Dealerships

Old 11-29-2015, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Guyfromhe
I use auto everything and love it. Only the wipers do I ever have to sometimes touch when the weather is in an odd state usually light rain or snow.

On mine the orange TPMS light flashes and the central display in the dash switches to service TPMS every 15 minutes and it starts dinging, it's really irritating. Maybe they toned that down in the newer models... You can turn it off with the ETACS tool though... or if it's just the light with electric tape :P
lol...yes my 09 Lancer had the same display and warning chime..it truly does get to be a drag..the newer models are toned down...My 15 Outlander only has the orange TPMS symbol...no chime..and my 13 Lancer was the same...just flashed a bit..then solid.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:48 AM

That you can fix with black tape... Even the flashing for a minute when it was dark was super distracting.

In any case I just reprogram it twice a year and bob's your uncle.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:33 PM

how much did you pay for the GT?
i live in QC, and im looking to buy one this month
thanks

Quick Reply: 2016 Outlander GT (Canadian) - Service Reminder Problems and AUTO wipers, TPMS sets