Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   2016 Outlander SEL DRLs not coming on (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/2016-outlander-sel-drls-not-coming-48776/)

frizay 09-04-2015 01:15 PM

2016 Outlander SEL DRLs not coming on

The DRLs only come on if the parking lights and or headlights are turned on. I checked the manual but it looks like there is no reason why they would not be on during normal day driving. Thanks in advance.

Copper penny 09-05-2015 09:23 AM

I got my new Outlander SE last month and I haven't Tryed the Driving lights yet:( thanks that good to know. I'll have to ck that out:):)

frizay 09-05-2015 09:31 PM

They should be on anytime you are driving. But mine are not, I'm curious if anyone else has this issue and was able to fix it.

Copper penny 09-05-2015 10:55 PM

That's true they should be on while you have the headlights on. So I'll have to see how mine works.

Paul Kartschoke 09-08-2015 12:51 PM

This is very frustrating since I think these DRL should look very nice but I am having the exact same problem on my 2016 SEL outlander. I have to bring in my car to mitsubishi in a couple days and I will ask them to look into this as well.

Copper penny 09-08-2015 03:09 PM

Ok, let us know what they say. When do they come on? Only when the headlights are off? Or when the headlights are on Dim?

Paul Kartschoke 09-08-2015 09:21 PM

I can see the DRL turn on when I turn the light switch to either 1st switch (ie DRL plus all of the side-marker lights) or the 2nd switch (ie the Headlights and other lights on). When I read the manual (section 5-177) the DRL lights are supposed to come on when I turn the car on and I have the light switch in the off position, but sadly the DRL do not come on in this case.

One strange idea I have is that since I have the LED fog lights option (I did not really want this but it was the only car that had my colors and a sunroof) and maybe during the installation of that option they somehow connected the wrong wires.

frizay 09-08-2015 09:52 PM

What you are describing is exactly the same situation as mine. The exception is that I have the standard fog light bulbs, so miswiring the fog lights is unlikely to be the problem.

Copper penny 09-08-2015 09:53 PM

I tested mine today, and mine is the same way. They only come on when you turn the headlights on. So I'll have to read that manual and see what it's says. When I had my Elantra it was the same way they would turn on when the headlights were on Dim then When you put them On bright they went off:(:confused:o

Copper penny 09-08-2015 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Kartschoke (Post 311740)
I can see the DRL turn on when I turn the light switch to either 1st switch (ie DRL plus all of the side-marker lights) or the 2nd switch (ie the Headlights and other lights on). When I read the manual (section 5-177) the DRL lights are supposed to come on when I turn the car on and I have the light switch in the off position, but sadly the DRL do not come on in this case.

One strange idea I have is that since I have the LED fog lights option (I did not really want this but it was the only car that had my colors and a sunroof) and maybe during the installation of that option they somehow connected the wrong wires.

Well I Read my Manual, and it said what I thought. The fog lights only come on when you turn on the Headlights on Dim, and as soon as you turn them on Bright they go off. Or they stay on when you have the parking lights on. Unless they changed it in the 016 model?

frizay 09-09-2015 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Copper penny (Post 311743)
Well I Read my Manual, and it said what I thought. The fog lights only come on when you turn on the Headlights on Dim, and as soon as you turn them on Bright they go off. Or they stay on when you have the parking lights on. Unless they changed it in the 016 model?

I think you might be confused. We are talking about the Day Time Running Lights that are not coming on not the fog lights.

Copper penny 09-09-2015 11:57 AM

You are Sure wright sorry:(:(:(:( but I'll ck my driving lights and see if they are working. Or see if mine came equipped with them . Thanks for letting me know that I was confused. But I'm not Now:):):):) lol

msoby 09-09-2015 08:23 PM

Same here with our 2016 Outlander GT. We noticed that the daytime running lights did not come on. The manual is quite clear (pg 5-177 - 178) that when the engine is on, the parking brake is off the daytime running lights should come on. There is a caveat in the manual that uses the term ""for vehicles equipped with daytime running lights...". I checked my MSRP sticker and nowhere could I find that daytime running lights were included in my outlander. Usually, it would be listed under "safety/security". Most of the Mitsubishi marketing material listed daytime running lights as standard.

This leads me to one of two possibilities, both related to the fact that we all have early production models:

1. Our early production outlanders were not equipped with daytime running lights
2. There is a logic flaw in the electronic control module that might get fixed in subsequent ECM patch.

If I get the chance I'll try and talk to the service department at our dealer. expect more folks to realize this as our local dealers can't keep these outlanders (especially the GTs) on the lot.

Paul Kartschoke 09-09-2015 09:13 PM

I also looked at my MSRP sticker and I don't see DRL listed. Although when I look at mitsubishi online at the specs for the 2016 outlander I see that "LED positioning lights" are standard on all models. Is "LED positioning lights" mitsubishi's way of saying DRL?

Copper penny 09-09-2015 10:35 PM

Yeah, I checked mine and they don't come on. So I'll ck my sticker and see if my Outlander is sapose to have running lights. I read that also in the owners manual.

Paul Kartschoke 09-10-2015 09:25 AM

I am getting a very bad feeling about this. When I search on "LED positioning lights" it almost sounds like what we are describing. In particular I have found discussions about KIA cars where exactly the same thing is happening in that they have LED positioning lights that only come on when the lights are turned on AND they do NOT have any DRL. I then see discussions where these KIA folks are re-connecting some wiring to try and force these positioning lights to be DRL.

Paul Kartschoke 09-12-2015 07:56 AM

I was at my dealer yesterday for some service and I asked them to look into the daytime running lights or possibly a software switch to enable it. He 1st printed off the info from my car (efectively the window sticker) and noted that it does not say anything about DRL. Then later in the day he said he contacted mitsubishi and said that the 2016's dont have DRL although he mentioned something real quick about possibly canadian models having it. He also mentioned that if you want to make it look like DRL you can turn your light switch one turn to enable the LED positioning lights, but this also turns on your small side lights and dims your interior lights which I don't like much. I wonder if other people on this forum can also ask their mitsubishi service reps to look into this or maybe there could be a simple wiring chage we can enable to make the LED positioning lights become the DRL because I love the look of the LED positioning lights?

Copper penny 09-12-2015 09:50 AM

I'm glad you went to the Dealer and had your lights ck out. Because I didn't think of that but I bet that's what it is, that it's only Canada models that have the Driving lights. Because when I had my Mirage I had the DE model and the Canada model had a lot less Features on the Standard model.Because our manual is probley for the U.S. & Canada Models.

Corbul 09-13-2015 07:45 PM

In Canada, DRL are mandatory by law so all cars have to have them. If the US doesn't have similar legislation, then most likely it is not a standard feature

Copper penny 09-13-2015 10:19 PM

True:) but I guess the owners manual is for both Canada & the U.S. I don't know if they offered that feature for US models. I guess the best thing for any owner is to check with the Dealer

Paul Kartschoke 09-15-2015 08:18 AM

I have also emailed Mitsubishi USA (through the US website) and asked them about daytime running lights for 2016 and here is there response, basically it says there is NO DRL for US outlanders:
"Unfortunately the LED lights cannot be changed to daytime running lights. We have reviewed the manual page 5-177 that gives information on how to operate the switch on vehicles equipped with daytime running lights and those that are not equipped with daytime running lights. The 2016 Outlander is not equipped with daytime running lights for the US market, and the feature is not offered as an option."

Also I did look at the canadian mitsubishi website and they DO say that the 2016 outlander has daytime running lamps. So my hope now is that maybe the same connections and software is used for canadian and US outlanders and thus maybe there is just an easy software switch that we in the US can enable to make the LED positioning lights become daytime running lights.

frizay 09-15-2015 09:13 AM

Thats too bad. Its strange to me that Mitsubishi would make the extra effort to make them work in some markets and not others when there are many US models with LED DRLs. I'm anxious to see if someone comes up with a workaround to make them work on the US models.

Copper penny 09-15-2015 10:33 AM

Yeah, I would think you could contact a dealer in Canada and see what's evolved in making a U.S. Model have those DRL im sure it's a switch of some sort. I heard it's a law up there they have to have the DRL,s . So I hope you can get that done.

llluis 09-15-2015 05:52 PM

Look at the ETACS Customization thread. Probably you can enable DRL.

My Canadian 2015 GT have DRL in the fog lights. (I really liked that) and I just saw in ETACS decoder past weekend the other options.

Copper penny 09-15-2015 06:22 PM

Hi, do you have some pictures of your Outlander? I'm glad there's more outlander owners of this Forum ! I got my 2015 SE last month. I really love it:):):)

playback 09-20-2015 12:38 AM

False advertising deseptive at best

Just got my 2016 outlander GT today. One of the things I was looking forward to was the really cool DRLs that you see in almost every commercial and print ad. Apparently this just isn't an option for the U.S.. If that's the case Mitsubishi needs to never show these lights on without the headlights being on. Love my new outlander but this was a disappointment..

the fat stig 09-20-2015 12:55 AM

I just got a 16 ES (today) Saturday and I am disappointed there is no DRL, especially since it is an added safety feature. Mine is one of the first 3200 according to the VIN number, so maybe the newer ones will be lucky to get DRL.

My window sticker says nothing about DRL or the front positioning lights

Copper penny 09-20-2015 07:46 AM

Congrats!!!!!! That's Great you got the 016 . ! Sorry to hear about the DRL! I haven't seen the commercial. Do you have any pictures? Of your ES?

Copper penny 09-20-2015 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by playback (Post 311894)
Just got my 2016 outlander GT today. One of the things I was looking forward to was the really cool DRLs that you see in almost every commercial and print ad. Apparently this just isn't an option for the U.S.. If that's the case Mitsubishi needs to never show these lights on without the headlights being on. Love my new outlander but this was a disappointment..

Sorry to hear that about the DRL . Congrats on the New 016 GT. do you have any pictures? Did you ck out the SEL model? The impression I got when they showed me that Outlander is that it had the DRL. But I'm not Positive.

playback 09-21-2015 09:05 PM

My GT 2016

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Copper penny (Post 311897)
Congrats!!!!!! That's Great you got the 016 . ! Sorry to hear about the DRL! I haven't seen the commercial. Do you have any pictures? Of your ES?

So far I'm very impressed with the new outlander..

turbocolts 11-24-2015 05:01 AM

My '16GT is a Canadian model. The LED strip "DRL" lights are enabled and work properly. Indeed is the cats meow and give the outlander a audi-euro type look in the daytime. The LED headlights are also very cool looking at nighttime as well. Again, ill try and get some pics of the lights.

I have a snap on scanner and notice there are a ton of options for programming different modules.

is there a "DRL" light option in your settings menu? (in park, ebrake on with ignition on) some options are programmable through those menu's from the cluster. (on my liquid crystal LCD cluster'ed 2016 GT anyways)

guxu 11-25-2015 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by turbocolts (Post 313007)
is there a "DRL" light option in your settings menu? (in park, ebrake on with ignition on) some options are programmable through those menu's from the cluster. (on my liquid crystal LCD cluster'ed 2016 GT anyways)

There is not. It is very weird that they enabled DRL on Canadian model and disabled it on US model.

Corbul 12-09-2015 10:39 PM

DRL is mandatory by law to all new vehicles. In the US, it is not, that's why it is not enabled.

guxu 12-10-2015 09:56 AM

I guess we can always turn on the parking lights, with all side markers, and use them as DRL. Are there any problems with this practice?

theSaint024 01-11-2016 12:17 PM

Man, I just noticed this the other day. I also saw some conflicting information and assumed the 2016 had DRL's. I am going to look into this a bit. This is a safety feature I want.

Copper penny 01-11-2016 02:06 PM

Driving lights?

In Canada I heard they are standard. But in the US they are only on the SEL model.or the GT

theSaint024 01-16-2016 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Copper penny (Post 313805)
In Canada I heard they are standard. But in the US they are only on the SEL model.or the GT

I have a GT and they are not coming on. Did some poking in the fuse box and i see a fuse installed for DRL but missing a relay. I put in a relay and they still aren't coming on. My dealer is looking into it. They don't seem to know one way or the other. It would be really nice of someone in Canada to take a pic of the engine compartment fusebox to see if anything different in there. That's assuming that is where it is disabled. I can attach a pic of my fusebox if it helps.

theSaint024 01-22-2016 06:11 PM

It's been a week of dead ends. I called Mitsubishi, they said call the dealer. I called the dealer. The service guy did some asking around and could not get answer as to why they are disabled, but more importantly, how to activate them. He did see that the relay for the DRL did not have connection points, so some modification does have to be done. Can't possibly be hard though, right? Maybe a wire and connection points and a switch? Unlike other modifications, all the bits are there already! Parking lights already work. It's not like adding navigation or FCM.

I called Mitsubishi back and had to fend off their stupid comments like "your model does not come equipped with DRL's". They kept missing the point that I knew all US models don't have them, but other countries do. How do I activate them? She finally said she was going to ask their corporate resources and get back to me in 5 business days.

If you all with 2016 Outlanders want this to gain traction with Mitsubishi, I suggest you all call in and have them look into this. They are not aware that there is a contingent of US owners that actually want this. Of course if you are indifferent to the DRL's and think some of us are making too big of a deal of this, then don't. I simply want to know what needs to be done to get them active. Both the wife and I have had them on our cars for the last several years. I think they are a great safety tool.

guxu 01-26-2016 09:17 AM

How much does that relay cost? $5? $10? So Mitsubishi disabled that safety feature to save $10:mad:. I paid $22,xxx for my Outlander SE. I do not mind if they add $10 to the price.

turbocolts 01-26-2016 11:52 PM

So the question would be is it even possible to get it working? I could help you to get it to work, but unfortunately it may mean swapping to canadian spec headlights and running a relay or something to control them. The stock DRL's have a module as well as the relay, and a bunch of wiring, systems I have delt with anayways also have a resistor built in (usually used with high beam bulb DRL's which was the norm in Canada on years previous models. The new ones with DRL's obviously don't use the high beam bulbs anymore a use the LED strips.

Do your lights even have a LED strip inside the housing? On my alldata an Mitchell, they only currently provide wiring diagrams up to 2014 for mitsu's so you would have to find a Canadian dealer to find u a 2016 wiring diagram showing you how the DRL system works/wired exactly. If the US housings do have the LED strips then do they have wires and pins on the headlight housing wiring connectors. If the answer is yes, should be fairly easy to wire them to come on anytime IGN is on or something with a relay, but if the wiring, relay, DRL module is missing and the body control module (or whatever sends out the signal to turn them on/off,) is programmed differently, then it's going to be very hard to get them to work without wiring them yourslef