Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2019 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 01:02 PM
Default 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Review

Hi all,

As my car was in the shop having its backup camera fixed, my loaner vehicle was as I stated above. I had it for about 22 days. Below are my thoughts and impressions:

Exterior: The sport isn't the worst looking vehicle. There are plenty of other eye sores out on the road today. While it seems compact and tight from the outside, the interior challenges that perception. The vehicle I had was white, however, I wasn't going to spend money on a car wash for a loaner so it was dirty. Nothing stuck out as negative when talking about fit and finish on the outside. Body panel lines and rubber trimming seemed fine and how it should be on a car. The wheels are what sticks out the most on this CUV.

Interior: Mitsubishi is not known for their high quality interior fittings. A minimalist would still be rather bored. I believe the vehicle was an ES so bottom trim level. Besides your basics, this car had nothing to persuade me to stay in it longer than I had to. Bluetooth and a backup camera were the only features that I saw worthy of mentioning. The seats weren't terrible but the longest trip I made with it was only 40 miles or so. The atmosphere will not tickle one's fancy but it makes a competent effort to be ordinary and useful. The radio was from a 1984 Fiero meaning absolutely terrible. The display cluster in between the RPM and MPH gauge is analog and Mistubishi would have been better off without any sort of screen there. The door closes sounded hollow and didn't take much weight to close it (only some know why this is a turn off).

Drivetrain: There's actually a motor under the hood?

Driving Manners: This is not the most uncomfortable car I have been in. It accomplishes what it's main reason for existing is; point A to point B. On windy days, western South Dakota, it would push the car around more than I would have liked. The steering was numb but forgiving. I did like that I didn't feel I had to "take care" of the car. I'd get in, start it up, and drive off. I usually sit and wait a minute or two on a cold start to get the fluids through the system; not in the Sport. MPG was higher than I expected as I averaged 26 with 80/20 driving (highway/city).

Overall Biased Impression: I drive Sport Sedans or Sports Cars. Never, and I mean NEVER, would I consider this car to be purchased with my money. MSRP for this model was $25k and some change. If I were to tell Mitsubishi what I think the price should be, I'd say $18k at most (for this trim). I cannot sympathize with myself and get an SUV. My lady has a SUV and she can drive that for as long as she wants. A Jeep GC SRT or X5M would be my only considerations (powerrrrrrrrrrrr, Clarkson). CVTs need to die...
Biased Score - 3/10

Overall Unbiased Impression: The Sport got the job done. It got me to work and back just fine. The stereo is adequate for the majority of consumers buying SUVs. Powertrain would still lack to the general public but it's tolerable. It's easy to park and that is a huge plus for some people. There isn't much to go wrong as this car didn't have anything that could go wrong. Very basic, very minimalist tendencies, but is acceptable for the CUV market.
Unbiased Score - 7.4/10

I drive a Genesis currently and it's more of a Grand Touring vehicle. It has creature comforts that enables me to enjoy the drive. I think of driving as an event rather than an inconvenience. I've had a Corvette to a Saturn SL1 to a 300 SRT8 to a Hyundai Sonata. As you may be able to tell, I like all cars and each one has it's own strengths and weaknesses. The strength I see in the Sport is its simplicity and warranty. I'll admit the warranty for the Genesis was a huge driving factor for me when considering my options so I know why some people buy these cars. I'm by no means stating Mitsubishi owners are cheap nor am I stating people are wrong for buying this car. As you read above, I have had almost every category of car so I enjoy reviewing what each and every one on the market has to offer.

Tyler

Old 12-18-2018, 09:59 PM

I don’t get all the CVT hate, it’s way better than my 4 speed. I hardly if ever felt like it’s hunting for a gear. So far it been reliable, but it would be nice if it was mated to a slightly stronger motor. A 2.4 turbo would be interesting

Old 12-20-2018, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Truwarrior22
I don’t get all the CVT hate, it’s way better than my 4 speed. I hardly if ever felt like it’s hunting for a gear. So far it been reliable, but it would be nice if it was mated to a slightly stronger motor. A 2.4 turbo would be interesting
If I'm driving a standard, I'm shifting myself. Being in a car that doesn't "shift" is odd. It may be that the Sport doesn't have much sound-deadening material which may be why I feel it is extremely loud. If I get into it, I feel a downshift but I hardly ever did.

I believe you about the reliability part. Less rotating parts, less gears, less to go wrong. They definitely need to do something with the motor. Even a 3 cyl turbo would make up for the NA engine. At least with a turbo you have a surge in power which makes us think it's going faster. Time will tell but I doubt Mitsu is concerned with there car sales in America...