Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2020 Outlander es fwd rim brake pad interference

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 03:15 PM
Default 2020 Outlander es fwd rim brake pad interference

Hello,
I've been beating around the net looking for a qualified answer to putting 16 inch rims on my new Outlander. Wheel-size.com shows when I go to a 6.5jx16 et38 rim, the brake pad assembly seems to just touch the inside of the rim. Can anyone tell me if this is reality or is there sufficient clearance there to not worry about it? Most posts, helpful pages say it will work but make sure to check for interference first, and that would be logical and smart, but that is much easier said than done, cause good service requires long waiting time here in Panama.

What I have are OEM stock 225/55R18 tires with 6.5jx18 ET38 rims, and what I want to install is 215/70R16 tires with 6.5jx16 ET38 rims.
It kinda figures that since Mitsubishi Outlander used to be equipped with 16 inch rims, they might work out, but with the advent of ABS, things may have changed. I think(?) ABS was available on the older Outlander with 16 inch rims.

If what I am asking for is stupid, please let me know where I'm going wrong. I was suspicious that those skinny 18 inch tires wouldn't do the job on these roads (?) here, and had a feeling I would need to do something about it. Like the car, good ride.

Thank you,
Bob

Old 01-26-2020, 09:26 PM

Check Tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com for the best size options.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:02 AM

Decided to check out the neighborhood and found a 16 inch wheel with the same specifications as the Mitsubishi 18 inch rim. A Nissan J15x6JJ.

I could not get the rim on the mitsubishi because of brake caliper interference. End of story.

Unless someone has a better idea for putting a 16 inch wheel on my 2020 Outlander?

Thanks for your time.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by holadebob
Decided to check out the neighborhood and found a 16 inch wheel with the same specifications as the Mitsubishi 18 inch rim. A Nissan J15x6JJ.

I could not get the rim on the mitsubishi because of brake caliper interference. End of story.

Unless someone has a better idea for putting a 16 inch wheel on my 2020 Outlander?

Thanks for your time.
The 16" wheel specification in your original post is an identical fit to the OEM (in fact it would be OEM -see below) in terms of suspension geometry if you buy a 215/70 16 tires. However, smaller than 16 inch wheel would only fit if you used thick wheel spacers and mess up the suspension geometry. I am concerned about your assessment of the wheels. The Nissan wheel you are referring to above is not a 16", it is a 15" one, no wonder it does not fit. In addition it is only 6" wide, so it could not be identical with the OEM rim.
Outside the US the Outlander models are shipped with two different wheel configurations. The lower trim models come with 215/70 16 tires mounted on 6.5 x 16 ET 38 rims, while only the higher (or highest) trim model(s) come(s) with the 225/55 18 tires mounted on a 7 x 18 ET 38 rims. These two will yield to exactly the same suspension geometry. If you want to experience with other brands please pay attention to the center bore diameter (67.1 mm) and the mounting pattern (5 x 114.3 mm) as well. The 16" models provide more comfort, especially on crappy roads and the 18" ones provide firmer ride. Wheel-size.com is a great resource.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:25 PM
Default You are 100% correct.....

The wheel that I tested on on the mits was on a nissan with 16 inch tires. I took the spare, which was a 15 inch rim. I read the part number and just assumed like an idiot that the number was an unrelated code. That solves my mystery. I am really grateful and happy there are smart folks out there....😀
Bob

Originally Posted by AWCAWD
The 16" wheel specification in your original post is an identical fit to the OEM (in fact it would be OEM -see below) in terms of suspension geometry if you buy a 215/70 16 tires. However, smaller than 16 inch wheel would only fit if you used thick wheel spacers and mess up the suspension geometry. I am concerned about your assessment of the wheels. The Nissan wheel you are referring to above is not a 16", it is a 15" one, no wonder it does not fit. In addition it is only 6" wide, so it could not be identical with the OEM rim.
Outside the US the Outlander models are shipped with two different wheel configurations. The lower trim models come with 215/70 16 tires mounted on 6.5 x 16 ET 38 rims, while only the higher (or highest) trim model(s) come(s) with the 225/55 18 tires mounted on a 7 x 18 ET 38 rims. These two will yield to exactly the same suspension geometry. If you want to experience with other brands please pay attention to the center bore diameter (67.1 mm) and the mounting pattern (5 x 114.3 mm) as well. The 16" models provide more comfort, especially on crappy roads and the 18" ones provide firmer ride. Wheel-size.com is a great resource.