Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2022 steering wheel clunk/pop

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 08:20 AM
Default 2022 steering wheel clunk/pop

My steering wheel makes a pop or clunk noise when you first turn it after being stopped...either when first starting or from a stop light.

The mechanic said there's no fix but it's definitely getting worse.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:01 AM

We has the exact same sound with my wife's 2022 Outlander SEL Touring with 2,758 miles on it. Our dealer replaced the left front and right front strut mounts under warranty. This was on 5/10/2022. After they replaced the strut mounts, I read about the same issue others were having on another forum. The fix appears to have eliminated the noise so far. My wife has only put a couple of hundred miles on her Outlander since then. I hope this gives you a starting point.

Old 10-01-2023, 07:56 AM
Default Right strut? Clicking sound from right front wheel

I have had an issue with my 2022 Outlander since 1500km, i am now over 21,000 km and the issue has not been fixed. Two dealerships have looked at it and both told fibs that they fixed it when in fact the sound has never changed.
It was at the first dealership for a few weeks, then they needed the space in the workshop so called me in to pick it up, the second one had it for much longer and the same thing, told me they replaced the strut and fixed it but its not.
issue is from start to low speeds up to 30km an hour, the wheel will click and click when turned, its a click, clunk sound.
in addition, the first full steer lock turn when backing out my driveway, a metal on metal scratching sound is coming from the same wheel. After the initial sound it wont happen again unless its dormant for a while.
Mitsubishi dealerships want nothing to do with it, i requested a replacement vehicle or refund to no avail. They simply dont have the ability to fix it nor do they want the vehicle in their workshop taking up valuable income producing space for a warranty issue.

i am worried something serious will happen to this wheel, i dont want that driving at high speeds.

i wrote to Mitsubishi head office who replied, go and talk to your local Mitsubishi dealership about the issue, that was not even the dealership that i was living near nor the one who sold it to me or the other one who said they fixed it the first time.

why can i do? Being brushed off from dealerships and corporate and told there is no issue when its clearly a major issue with obvious sounds.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:03 PM
Default We are in the same boat.

Originally Posted by Cantfixitmitsubishi
I have had an issue with my 2022 Outlander since 1500km, i am now over 21,000 km and the issue has not been fixed. Two dealerships have looked at it and both told fibs that they fixed it when in fact the sound has never changed.
It was at the first dealership for a few weeks, then they needed the space in the workshop so called me in to pick it up, the second one had it for much longer and the same thing, told me they replaced the strut and fixed it but its not.
issue is from start to low speeds up to 30km an hour, the wheel will click and click when turned, its a click, clunk sound.
in addition, the first full steer lock turn when backing out my driveway, a metal on metal scratching sound is coming from the same wheel. After the initial sound it wont happen again unless its dormant for a while.
Mitsubishi dealerships want nothing to do with it, i requested a replacement vehicle or refund to no avail. They simply dont have the ability to fix it nor do they want the vehicle in their workshop taking up valuable income producing space for a warranty issue.

i am worried something serious will happen to this wheel, i dont want that driving at high speeds.

i wrote to Mitsubishi head office who replied, go and talk to your local Mitsubishi dealership about the issue, that was not even the dealership that i was living near nor the one who sold it to me or the other one who said they fixed it the first time.

why can i do? Being brushed off from dealerships and corporate and told there is no issue when its clearly a major issue with obvious sounds.
So far in a year we have had 3 front suspension fixes and a new steering rack with still the same problem. The dealer we are at now seem to be helping and working with MMAL as I believe more and more are having recurring problem.