Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2wd mode not so great!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Default 2wd mode not so great!

Whole winter I was driving in auto 4wd mode and it was fine, then I finally switched to 2wd and while I do feel the great increase in power, handling on the other hand is much worse. There is that known wheel spin and cornering is not so great either...

so switch back to 4wd auto and enjoy reduced power or 2wd mode with more power with slightly better mpg, but not so great handling...

Old 03-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Default RE: 2wd mode not so great!

Doesn't 4wd use more gas?

Old 03-22-2008, 01:28 PM

if anything it may use 1/10 of a gallon more in either 4wd mode... very negligible.

I run 4wd auto or lock 99% of the time for the last few months. I feel no reduction in power though.

I recommend keeping it in 4WD auto all the time, seeing as that is the recommended "normal" mode for the car by mitsubishi... and because the car is much more fun to drive.

Please elaborate on the increase in power in 2wd mode! I havent noticed? Could it be in your head because it is easy to spin the tires?

Old 03-22-2008, 01:33 PM

well, I am not always easy on the gas pedal and sometimes love to take off quickly from a stop light or onto freeway, so I noticed that difference recently.

Try it with 2wd and 4wd mode and you'll feel the difference that 2wd has better acceleration. The downside with 2wd is you'll get wheelspin, so you have to accelerate gradually from the stop, as opposed to 4wd drive mode where you can just floor it.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:27 AM

It might just be me but I run 2wd all the time unless its snowing out. I learned to drive it with out spinning the front wheels and have no problems. I dont feel the difference in corning between 2wd and 4wd drive either.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:53 AM

I only go 2WD now when I'm cruising, not when maneuvering city streets where I always stay on 4WD Auto. 4WD Lock only on slippery roads during rain, and while on a mud trail. Slush and ice, I always 4WD Auto.

Either 4 or 2WD, power felt the same, and it should be. But since in 2WD, all torque goes to the front, you can readily feel the power surge since you also steer the front wheels. Attributable partly to the fact that the Outlander has sports-tuned suspension, which is on the stiff side, so you get ample feedback on the steering wheel despite the power steering.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:17 PM

I feel the same. Have been driving for the last 4 months in mostly 4WD Auto and a little 4wd Lock. I switched to 2wd and I was like holy torque steer... Handling is MUCH MUCH better in the 4wd modes

Old 03-26-2008, 02:15 PM

after a week of 2wd drive torture I went back to auto 4wd mode and couldn't be happier. I am glad I didn't buy 2wd model. I don't drive like a maniac, but I don't drive like a grandma and 2wd was just horrible when making turns and accelerating.

I make the same right turn 5 times a week from a side street onto a average hill and if I am in 2wd even with slow acceleration I would get way much of torque steer. Unacceptable!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:47 PM

Not sure what you mean by 2WD=more power/less handling and viceversa. The power remains the same no matter what setting you have it on 2WD/4WD/Lock. Our engine load remains the same no matter wether it be in 2WD OR 4WD primarilly because all driveline components are spinning anyway, they are just not receiving torque on 2WD. It may seem that 2WD is more powerful because you get more tire slip and that gives you a false sense of power. I actually find it that Lock gives me the best launch with no slip, it just seems to take off.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:48 AM

There is definitely a difference in the feel of the steering and power delivery between 2WD and 4WD. I try to use 2WD on the highway as much as possible, but i never feel quite as safe. The steering and rearend feel so much looser in 2WD than in 4WD.

I haven't tested the mileage between the modes on long drives, but that just gives me more time to drive my Outtie.

Quick Reply: 2wd mode not so great!