Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2wd mode not so great!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Default RE: 2wd mode not so great!

I've driven many different 2wd cars and I never had that "slippage" feeling that I get in Outlander. I guess I shouldn't expect same handling as a sedan.We just got a second car 2008 Sentra SL and handling is great for a "budget" car being 2wd.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:07 PM

If you don't run in lock all the time, you are simply wasting the vehicles capability. After much personal trial and error combined with research, I can say that there is no discernable difference in fuel economy between 2wd/4wd auto/4wd lock, however, the handling is FAR FAR BETTER when in lock. Mine will never leave this setting again.

For anyone who is unfamiliar, its not really a 4WD "Lock" setting; it simply means that the automatic distribution of drive can swing up to 60% rear as required (such as it does for 4WD Audis/Subaru performance cars). 4WD Auto works similarly, but limits the amount of drive to the rear to a far lesser percentage - why???? No reason as far as I can see, completely pointless setting. 2WD =waste of time, as the fact is, your vehicle is equipped with the running gear for 4WD which carries extra weight and turns all the time anyway, so you'll not even get any better economy.

The only better economy can be had from a 2WD only Outie, whereby you won't have this dilemma to begin with.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:24 AM

kwanger, I agree that the outtie performs the best it 4wd mode. Handling is so MUCH better than compared to just 2wd.I leave mine in 4wd auto for everyday driving.

But to say that there is no economical differences between 4wd and 2wd I would have to strongly dissagree. I dont know what your findings are. But mine, and most on this board, have found that like mitsu says 2wd gets better mpg's than either of the4wd modes. I'd have to say thats plainly a fact, hands down.

Like I said before, Im sticking with the 4wd auto setting unless on a highway drive I'll use 2wd, and in slick conditions (snow, rain, ice) use 4wd lock.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 AM
tcp

Where is there documentation that a 4wd outie, in 2wd mode, gets better milage? There are fuel ratings for 2wd(only), and 4wd vehicles, but not info on a 4wd in 2wd mode.

all moving parts of the drivetrain are in motion on the 4wd vehicle, in 2wd mode. The clutch just doesn't engage the rear wheels with engine torque. It really shouldn't make any difference. Haven't done any testing myself, but fuel milage should be the same.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:21 PM

I cant find any actual numbers at the moment either, but from this news release from Mitsubishi, they say that the "Benefit" of 2wd mode is "Best fuel economy".

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...0&mime=ASC

All torque is sent to the front wheels in 2wd mode. Making it a FWD vehicle in that mode. FWD vehicles usually get better mpg's than RWD, AWD, or 4WD vehicles.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:03 AM

ORIGINAL: tcp

Where is there documentation that a 4wd outie, in 2wd mode, gets better milage? There are fuel ratings for 2wd(only), and 4wd vehicles, but not info on a 4wd in 2wd mode.

all moving parts of the drivetrain are in motion on the 4wd vehicle, in 2wd mode. The clutch just doesn't engage the rear wheels with engine torque. It really shouldn't make any difference. Haven't done any testing myself, but fuel milage should be the same.
This is what I'm working on. I've also personally done several long trips, one way in 4WD lock, the return in 2WD. The difference is next to nothing, and I'm inclined to think the tiny variable has more to do with wind/atmospheric/traffic conditions changing the way you drive/other conditions than in does whether its in lock or not. The times I've run in 4WD Auto, same thing applies. I've had better economy in 4WD Lock; other times in 2WD, others in 4WD Auto. Inconclusive results, in other words, that economy is better in any mode.

Also in my book, Lock isn't just for poor weather conditions. To quote your same link, tdford:

"In dry conditions, 4WD Lock mode places priority on performance. More torque is directed to the rear wheels than in 4WD Auto mode to provide greater power off the line, better control when accelerating on snowy or loose surfaces, and enhanced stability at high speeds. Rear wheel torque transfer is increased by 50 percent over the amounts in 4WD Auto mode - meaning up to 60 percent of available torque is sent to the rear wheels under full-throttle acceleration on dry pavement. When in 4WD Lock mode, torque at the rear wheels is reduced by a smaller degree through corners than with 4WD Auto mode"

All of the above stuff is blatantly noticable when driving. Floor it off the line - Lock is the one where there is no chirp whatsover, you are just off at a high rate of knots. Take your Outie on a disused airstrip or similar and throw in some tight turns to the limit of control (in fact, try and purposely lose controlat low ish speeds for a good demo) - in 4WD Lock its virtually impossible to slip anything. Hence my comment that driving it in anything other than Lock = a compromise of your vehicles capabilities.

I used to own a Subaru WRX Sti, and its all credit to Mitsu for making an SUV handle very similarly (when in Lock).

I take your point about best fuel economy in 2WD mode - but I'm just not seeing itto any degree. As you say, what is VERY noticable is the handling difference.I want full capability to handle unexpected situations, at all times (sticky situations have a haabit of coming up quick and unexpectedly -certainly no time to change a dial)hence why my outie will forever stay in Lock. 4WD Auto setting is just a compromise of the full thing, I just don't see the point of it at all. Its like a handicap setting, or something.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:37 AM

The only bad thing about using Lock all the time is that and I quote mitsu, while driving on lock for long/high speeds like in a highway going 70+ you will overheat the slipper clutch at the rear diff, which may lead to damage. Lock is great for below 60 mph dailly driving, but if you want to go above 60 for a long period of time 2WD or even 4WD auto will be the better option since theres no constant friction on the slipper clutch.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:53 PM

I think to overheat it significantly, you'd have to be doing some serious off road bordering on abuse. Also, as far as I am aware, explained in the operating manual is that a warning light will occur if this is the case, and it will automatically kick into 2WD mode till the heat dissipates. Herewhere I live in Florida, its obviously very hot in summer, and as stated I drive everywhere on Lock, long runs, high speed runs, quick driving around the backroads, light offroading - never seen that light yet.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:14 AM

Using 4WD lock is not likely to cause any problems, however I have not noticed a significant enough change in handling to make me go from 4WD auto (my default setting) to 4WD Lock.

I have noticed that on snow, Auto lock tends to fishtail a bit more when you give it gas at the start of a turn, this would be consistent with the principal of the rear wheel wanting to turn at the same speed as the front wheels. I know that the system is not physically locked but, but by attempting to maintain 50/50 torque the system does induce a front to back wheel speed parity. I imagine that on dry pavement this would result in increased tire ware.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:16 PM

think about it guys, what's the point of putting a **** that allows switching to 2wd mode if it didn't offer any benefits? Those benefits seem to be better gas mileage and faster acceleration, at least I noticed that it did offer faster acceleration, I haven't done any tests as far as gas mileage.

Quick Reply: 2wd mode not so great!