Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

30k service recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by klas
Here is what 30k Regular Maintenance recommends:

- Check fuel hoses condition (recommended, but not required)
- Replace air cleaner filter (can do myself)
- Replace spark plugs (can do myself)
- Inspect and adjust intake and exhaust valve clearance (not "scheduled" service)
- Check drive belts condition (for the generator, water pump, power steering pump)
- Change engine oil
- Replace engine oil filter
- Check manual transaxle/transmission oil level and condition
- Check transfer oil level and condition (what's that?)
- Inspect coolant hoses condition. (radiator hose, heater hose) - done with service
- Inspect disk brake pads and rotors for wear
- Inspect rear drum brake linings and rear wheel cylinders for war and leaks of all wheels
- Check brake hoses for deterioration or leaks
- Inspect ball joint and steering linkage seals for grease leaks and damage
- Inspect drive shaft boots for grease leaks and damage
- Inspect suspension system for looseness and damage (????)
- Check rear axle oil level (necessary?)

Quite a long list of things and I know some I can do myself, but what about others. Are they really worth being inspected?
Well, for one thing, I do know that 2007-UP Outlanders come with Platinum tipped spark plugs good to go for about 100,000 miles. Timing belt in 2007-UP Outlanders with V6 engine are good to go for about 105,000 miles. And I believe that transfer oil applies to 4WD Outlanders only.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
Well, for one thing, I do know that 2007-UP Outlanders come with Platinum tipped spark plugs good to go for about 100,000 miles. Timing belt in 2007-UP Outlanders with V6 engine are good to go for about 105,000 miles. And I believe that transfer oil applies to 4WD Outlanders only.
So, transfer oil is probably best to be checked or replaced since I have 4wd.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:39 PM

Klas, I did my tcase and rear diff fluid at about 60k miles. tcase was ready to be changed, rear diff was almost ready.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
Klas, I did my tcase and rear diff fluid at about 60k miles. tcase was ready to be changed, rear diff was almost ready.
Ccernst, thank you for your input. My wife's 4x4 is also approaching 60k and I'm getting ready to prepare a list of services the car will need.

BTW, did you service yours at a dealership, or at a licensed mechanic?

TIA.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:25 PM

Got quote from one of the Mitsubishi service $45 for transfer case oil change, $99 for transmission and $70 for coolant. Another Mitsubishi/Ford dealer wanted $75 for transfer case, $195 for transmission and $125 for coolant.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by mceatalot
Ccernst, thank you for your input. My wife's 4x4 is also approaching 60k and I'm getting ready to prepare a list of services the car will need.

BTW, did you service yours at a dealership, or at a licensed mechanic?

TIA.
I did them myself. Just buy the fluid and keep the receipts if you are in the US. If you can change oil and you have a hand oil pump gun...you can do the transfercase and diff.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:16 AM

Diff oil change is usually easier than engine oil change.

Just get the right diff oil. And you probably need to get the correct friction modifier to be mixed with diff oil, and the correct amount of it. Some diff oils (like certain Royal Purple grades) already come with friction modifier mixed in.

Normally you don't even need a hand pump. Most diff oil bottles have a spout (or you can easily buy an add-on spout at an auto parts store).

And you also need the correct size wrench sockets for the drain bolt and the fill bolt.
DO NOT open the drain hole until you are SURE that you have the right socket size for the fill bolt.

Here is me changing my goat's rear diff oil the other day (I try to do it every 15K miles)

The hole you see opened is the fill hole. In this picture I already closed the drain hole (the bottom bolt)

Attached Thumbnails 30k service recommendations?-img00196-20110108-1117.jpg   30k service recommendations?-img00198-20110108-1118.jpg  
Old 01-19-2011, 01:29 PM

Unfortunately, the tcase and diff are tucked up into the vehicle just a bit, so using the "spout" on the gear oil bottle isn't going to work...just not enough room. Worked great on my Ranger where everything is easy to get to...not on the Outlanders.

Also, the outlander does not require any friction modifiers, however synthetic fluids pretty much all have the modifiers in there for limited-slip applications. Our application does not require it, but it also will not hurt our equipment either. Tcase specs a straight 80 weight and the rear diff specs a straight 90 (or vice-versa)...None of my local parts stores carry such fluid. I asked around and everyone said that a synthetic 75w90 with the additives will do just fine.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by ruski
Diff oil change is usually easier than engine oil change.

Just get the right diff oil. And you probably need to get the correct friction modifier to be mixed with diff oil, and the correct amount of it. Some diff oils (like certain Royal Purple grades) already come with friction modifier mixed in.

Normally you don't even need a hand pump. Most diff oil bottles have a spout (or you can easily buy an add-on spout at an auto parts store).

And you also need the correct size wrench sockets for the drain bolt and the fill bolt.
DO NOT open the drain hole until you are SURE that you have the right socket size for the fill bolt.

Here is me changing my goat's rear diff oil the other day (I try to do it every 15K miles)

The hole you see opened is the fill hole. In this picture I already closed the drain hole (the bottom bolt)

Thanks for the info,...But every 15k? You do alot of 4wd right?

Old 05-20-2011, 08:44 AM

I went to a local dealer in Anaheim, California for a transmission flush special they were running and when the tech got it up on the rack he determined that I had a CVT transmission on my '07 XLS and all that it needed was a fluid change. You'd think the service writer's computer would have told them this???

A side note on the service was that the flush was going to cost $139.95 and when they determined that the flush was not performed on the CVT they wanted to charge me $169.95. Long story short, I ended up getting it for $99.95 all inclusive, but won't be going back!

Quick Reply: 30k service recommendations?